Barung or Sansibar?

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Hi There,

I was re-reading the Kalis Ilustrisimo book by Masters Antonio Diego and Christopher Ricketts the other day and I was somewhat dumbfounded...

This question goes to the KI practitioners in particular (however, if you have some knowledge on this, please feel free to share!)...

in the written text, it states that Grandmaster Tatang Ilustrisimo preferred the barung... yet in the old Mandirigma videos and pictures in this book and in others regarding KI they use use the Sansibar... same a in PG Edgar Sulite's videos (uses the Sansibar/Pinute)...

can anyone please give insight on this?...

thanks!

Cap

2. Black Grass

Black Grass Junior Member

I asked Master Rey about this once. His answer was that Tatang used what was provided and were not his personal weapons. I am also thinking that these swords are easier to get ahold of.

Vince
    aka Black Grass

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kamusta, As Master Yuli told me " we are never weapon specific" he related that Tatang used what was available, this principle is advocated in the BaHad Zu'Bu Mangtaas Baraw of Maestro Yuli as well......

4. tanod

tanod New Member

from what i've heard, sansibar is a new addition to KI, introduced by romy macapagal.

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kamusta Tanod....the sansibar as it relates to KI within the Bahad Zu'Bu curriculum is merely a tool....KI from my understanding and training directly with Master Yuli Romo is not weapon specific, there is no one blade preffered. Master Yuli has been training with a plethora of bladed weapons for decades within the KI syllabus as well as his family system. In BaHad Zu'Bu we use what ever is available, we train all our methods in this reguard.... the practitioner is the weapon the implement a tool.

www.bahadzubuwest.org

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. media

media New Member

Well said, PG Michael B.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  7. Raul

Raul Mananandata

I like zansibar as all-around blade and I like barong in a wicked way