Barefoot, runners or chinelas?

Discussion in 'General' started by FENOM, Aug 25, 2008.

1. FENOM

FENOM New Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to know what everyone uses as footwear. Does it make a difference to you if you stray from your norm? I do a combination of runners and barefoot in class and I make sure that I can move in ANY footwear that I buy. Come to think of it that's how I choose my clothing! I make sure I can defend myself in it!

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I prefer matt shoes when I am on matts...outside training give me the good old Chuck Taylor black high tops....barefoot or chankla's at the beach.

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Combat boots if in the bush, tennis shoes if on the street, grappling shoes or boots if on the mat.

4. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

In our club we train barefoot, but i don't recommend it unless your practice area is padded or Foot friendly material. The place we rent has laminate floors but with heavy footwork trainings, lets just say my foot not pretty to look at (blistery).

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've got regular old tennis shoes. The have a tendency to stick a bit on the mats. Cass Magda has recommended Converse shoes. One of my students has a pretty sweet pair of soccer/football shoes that seem pretty good on or off the mats.

6. I remember my Karate days as a kid which were all about bearfoot and verrucas (sp?).

I now train in sneakers but Maestro / some students usually wear slippers (flip-flops / thongs for the Aussies?!). I am not confident about my footwork at the best of times and as I don't get on with slippers that clap / seperate the big toe (I'm weird that way!). It should be noted that with our footwork on the concrete floor Maestro goes through like a pair a week when the heel wears through!

My take is you should train how you would fight so sneakers are the way to go. I prefer any kind with a flat sole. Though having said that I only wear sneakers to training and slippers around the Philippines so that makes a mockery of that statement!

7. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

except for liking to be barefoot on the mats, i agree wholeheartedly with pg mike (even down to the black chuck taylors).

tim