Balisong Trainer

Discussion in 'FAQ' started by Phil Mar Nadela, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Does anyone know where i can find a good Balisong trainer that won't break the bank?
    Living in Canada, I have to find a balisong trainer for it is illegal here, and so far i can't find a decent one.

Thanks

2. I've got some Phil from Batangas.

Google payments told me not to advertise them anymore so they're $20 (which includes shipping) for you my friend.

Will see if I can get a pic for you from my files.

Simon.

3. [​IMG]

There you go.

They seem to be o.k to send. Compeltely blunt aluminum abut after they warned me (and they're illegal on ebay - even these blunt ones) I discontinued the line.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Get your self a Bear or a Puma balisong...they have edges but not to bad...practice with that....IMHO a bit of blood while training is okay..it will give you a new found respect for the lanseta. If your uncomfortable with that simply take a thin piece of electrical tape and tape the edge..it works fine. Live blade training is a must...and if that fickle biotch bites you (and she will) then lesson learned, drive on and work it some more.

5. Just don't do what my friend did....

We went to Batangas and he brought a nice live one. And a new couch several weeks before....

He started learning how to flip it sat on the couch. He lost control, it went up in the air and went straight for his leg. He moved his leg and the knife embedded itself in that nice, new couch of his.

He's since covered the hole with tape LOL. So yeah, you can always get a live one and file it down but trainers have their place too ;)

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

You can find cheap ones on Amazon...but they may not stand up to partner work. They're fine if you just want to learn some openings and practice flipping it, though.

7. Phil Mar Nadela

Thanks Kuya simon, but I can't get live ones ( I really want one!) cause it is illegal here in Alberta.
    I will contact you for a pair of those trainers as soon as i can.

Thanks Kuya Arnisador, I got some cheap ones before and it came apart just recently, even with careful training. Hopefully kuya simons will last me.

Kuya Pg Michael, when I get a hold of a real one ill try it. It will hurt but i will keep that in mind :)

8. Well, they're handmade in Barangay Balisong and that's horse's bone (I think) on the handle. As I say, it's not worth having the virtual rocks thrown at me for daring to sell such a knife so I'm selling the last of them cheap.

Will forward you the invoice soon.

Simon.

9. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I bought a few of Simon's balisong trainers several months ago and I've been pleased with them. Only had a problem with one out of the 6 or so that i got. The blade itself and the mechanics of it worked well after a bit of use (they're reeeeaaally tight when you get them), just the one had the brass fittings fall off, still can't figure out why. None of the others have had that problem, so I'm confident it was just an issue with that single piece.

10. Thanks Brock. Was going to ask for your experience as we don't use the Balisong ourselves.

As Brock points out, they are stiff Phil when you get them. I was told a few days of flipping sorts them out. Any further tips Brock?

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Nope, pretty much all I did was work technique with them and the knife worked itself out. I was worried that it might get too loose, but the one I kept for my personal use reached the point where it moves smoothly and doesn't seem to be going any further to where it would fall apart. I've been using it for around half a year now fairly regularly.

12. Cool. Thanks Brock. I've only got around 7 left so I'll pass that info on if I manage to sell the rest (as I can't advertise them with my other products!).

13. Phil Mar Nadela

Kuy Simon, I just shown the pic to my friend and he is also interested. I'll tell you when he decides to get one

14. 5tirosCamarin

5tirosCamarin Katulong Guro

My balisong trainer is the one Guro Brock mentioned, with the brass fitting that fell off. Simon, do you have any suggestions for reattaching it? It seems like the pin that held it on bored its way through the frame of the handle.

Also, the blade is rusting. I didn't know aluminum could rust! Haha.. the knife works great though, and it's nice and loose now that I've been using it. I use it in class whenever we do knife flow and transition drills.

15. Hi,

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations about that :(

If you would like I can re-send one for the shipping cost only $10. PM me if so.

We went to Barangay Balisong in Batangas and got one of the knife sellers to make us an order up of them. Then I was told it was illegal to sell on ebay / through google payments (despite being blunt) so I have had no more contact with the craftsman and have several left.

The knives come oiled so I guess you should apply some every now and then and maybe use a fine sand-paper.

Phil, did your Knife make it through customs o.k btw?

Simon.

16. pguinto

pguinto New Member

it's all perspective

balisong trainers might fly under the radar if advertised as "flippy toys" instead of as "weapon" trainers.

for all intents and purposes it is a toy, it cant be sharpened and probably cant be used to kill

seriously, i could give them to my 9 year old nephew and 5 year old niece to play with, without reservation then it really is a frikkin toy, just sturdier than the standard flimsy plastic material

we all know you could stab someone in the eyes/throat with pens, how are these any more dangerous?
    so how is it you could buy/sell toy guns and not toy knives?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  17. Phil Mar Nadela

Yes, kuya Simon. It made it through customs. I wasn't able to contact you right away.
    It is heavier than i expected, looks like the real thing almost except for the blade.

Thanks again kuya.

18. Pitboss 306

Pitboss 306 New Member

We play with a few balisong manipluations and techniques in our gym. The Canadian ban is kind of a joke.Like the average scumbag criminal or mugger is a manipulation wizard or something. I bought a couple cheapos in Manila and had ironworkers grind them down into trainers for the flight back to Canada. (Got a few strange looks- "you want us to DULL the blade?") I have also ordered a few trainers from knifezilla.com who have no issue with shipping up north. Just my .02 from my cell phone. Sorry for any wierd grammar.

19. 5tirosCamarin

5tirosCamarin Katulong Guro

Simon, you don't have to worry about sending me a new trainer. Mine works just fine :)

But thanks anyway!

K. Guro Jason