Balintawak weight distribution

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Black Grass, Apr 12, 2006.

1. samson818

samson818 New Member

Hello all,

Just wanted to post my thoughts on this topic.

In regards to weight distribution within our interpretation of Teovel's Baliantawak, there is more than 50-50 weight distribution.
    We have 50-50, 100-0, 75-25, etc.

In my limited experience, it seems very important to be able to adjust your balance and weight placement between your feet to effectively respond to various attacks. For example, when one is weaving and evading during agak, you are very often placed in a 100-0 weight distribution on the back leg, then when utilizing your offensive tools, you can be in 100-0 on the lead leg.
    Center balance (50-50) is a happy place where you can both engage defensively and offensively.

I think this statment from Mr. Janulis is very accurate:
    "Weight distribution changes in the fight depending on what your trying to accomplish."

I also believe there is the more common V-stepping within the Balintawak system. In strike number 12 (forehand vertical strike down the center line), the agakee can step to the forward 45 degrees to the left, while simultaneously parrying and striking. (My apologies if my words cannot convery what I am trying to express.)
    The footwork of Balintawak is more linear due to the speed of the strikes (greater emphasis on bodymovement and other things), making it harder to utilize traditional v stepping....
    And it is not as emphasized as in other systems...
    But it is there, maybe a little less pronounced and the the use of the angles are alot smaller since our feet are pretty close together, tight space, etc...

Just my worthless .02.

2. darkpaperino

darkpaperino New Member

I am in a rush so: I just can agree with the posting ... we also change the weight distribution if necessary.

3. mant143

mant143 New Member

3 balances

Hi Robert,

As what I remembered the Teovel’s Balintawak Style uses 3 balances. The all weight in the front (75-25 or 100-0), all weight in the rear (75-25 or 100-0), and the center balance the 50-50. For the students very first lesson in defending the 12 strikes he/she must learn the weight shifting with body movement. Like defending strike number 1 the student will shift from the center to the rear left leg together with the block with the body facing at least 45 degrees then push the attackers stick down together with the defenders stick chambered then response with strike number 2 together with the weight back to center.

Emphasizing the weight in the front will be shown in the advance where the 3 balances and body movements are combine. These will be inserted the groupings, hitting, pushing, pulling, pok2, pangilogs, sweeping, elbow and etc. I wish you have seen Edwardo L. Velez move and you will see what I mean. He is the instructor of your instructor Bobby Taboada I think you know that. The 3 balances and body movements are Bacon’s best weapon against bigger and stronger opponents. Off course his hand speed and timing were very good. Bacon stands about 5ft 2 inches and weighs not more than 120 pounds so he don’t rely on power. He is not as big and strong as Marc Denny of the DBs. Hope I have not offended you. I’m just sharing a little information from the Teovel’s Balintawak System curriculum because we belong to one lineage.

God Bless

4. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Yes, that differs from the way I learned. We teach balance more by feel than by specific stances or prescribed weight distribution. I suppose it all works out the same; just using a different teaching method.

Yes, we do!
    :cheers:

5. Richard Cotterill

Richard Cotterill New Member

Robert is correct the most important word to think about is feel.

Keep it simple, know when your 50/50 know when you are not!

Regards

Richard

6. teovel'sBalintawak

teovel'sBalintawak New Member

Richard,

You are right know it when your 50/50 or not it is a matter of positioning. But to let you know the way I was taught the 3 balances were emphasized in my very first session. That is to familiarized the body mechanics for proper positioning. Balintawak is not an art that only teach you to swing the olisi/stick then go fight. There are some finer points on it that is why it will take time for you to master it. About the term feeling we refer that to sensitivity training like stick and lefthand handling that is after hitting/pokpok/snatching pushing and pulling lesson. My teacher is the brother of Eddie Velez the instructor of one of my favorite Balintawak fighter Bobby Taboada.

Happy Holidays!