Balintawak weight distribution

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Black Grass, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Black Grass

Black Grass Junior Member

Hi as a adjunct to to DT's post of living students of GM Bacon.

I have a 2 part question.

When was the weight distribution principles (weight on stick side for lack of a better description) developed? I think it was after his prison term. Can any one verify this.

Also who of GM Bacon's students teaches this way? As far as I can tell the following do:

1) Ted Buot - based on what I learned from Dave Hatch a student of his

2) Serge Acel - based on information from Warrior arts of the Phillipines interview

3) Bobby Tambina - Based on tapes I have seen of him

Vince
    aka Black Grass

2. armas

armas Junior Member

Ver Villasin teaches the same way. Plus he emphasizes "center balance" as you are well distributing your weight on both legs as you fight. Then as you strike you put your body into the strike.

3. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

The weight was there to generate power in a torsion/torque way of popping the hips.

It was before the Prison term of GM Bacon. As this is how both GM Remy and also Manong (GM) Ted learned it in the 50's and 60's.

Best regards

Rich

4. Rocky

Rocky New Member

If you take a good look at Balintawak ( GM Bacons ) obviously he was ahead of his time his fighting stance is very simular to that of a boxer's, which is why GM Buot picked up on it so quickly the only other form of martial arts GM Buot ever did was boxing, because boxing is a live action art and has an oponent that is always trying to hit you, footwork becomes very important. If you look at the stagnate ways of many MA's in the 70's and 80 they practiced these stances that we not practical for fighting of course everyone thought they new what they were doing, until the UFC opened up and low and behold how do almost all fighters in the UFC fight now????? Yep when on their feet they use a stance very simular to boxing, because by keeping your weight under you and in control you can generate power from the feet which is exactically what Balintawak does, massive power in the smallest of space. If you were ever able to actually spar with GM Presas you would notice his feet were always under him and the power he generated in a short distance I have not seen matched to this day. By keeping the feet under you, your upper body can bob and weave creating the time and space you need to create openings. Balintawak was the first art I ever studied where they were constantly CREATING TIME AND SPACE, pretty smart for a bunch of stick swingers!!

Rocky

5. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

The Yellow Chapter Club of Teovel Balintawak

Hi!!! to all,

It's nice to be here. I am from Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines a member of the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense Club under the leadership of Teofilo V. Roma.

My teacher Teofilo V. Roma one of the best students of Grandmaster Teofilo A. Velez established the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense Club in Mandaue City in 1982 known to be the yellow color code chapter division from among the twelve subgroups that comprises the Teovel Balintawak group headed by Grandmaster Teofilo A. Velez after it was subdivided into twelve different chapter divisions. The Teovel Balintawak group was a splinter group that had just separated from the Balintawak Arnis International under the leadership of Atty. Jose Villasin since it was established in the 1960’s. Mr. Velez was student to Atty. Villasin the student to Venancio (Anciong) Bacon the inventor of the Balintawak martial art that date’s back in the 1950’s.

Anciong Bacon had tested the efficiency of his new martial art when he was involved in about a hundred “juego todo” fights (arranged fights) and several surprise attack from unknown enemies including the one that he accidentally killed in one occasion. He subdued all his enemies and never heard of him lose even a single fight. But prior to discovery of the Balintawak fighting system, Anciong had already learned some skills from a certain Lorenzo Saavedra.

I have so many stories to tell and I hope I would be allowed to post it here. Thanks!!!

Wilson Ceniza

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Wing Chun uses the 'weight back' principle as Balintawak sometimes does. I see so many similarities between Wing Chun and the FMA!

7. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Balintawak

I have an old 8mill showing the 3 masters of Balintawak.I also have 1-6 Bobby Tobosa & some footage of Ramond Tabosas school or students under Michael Mulconery.Its nice to see arts like that.Good historical video archives.

8. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Monkey:

Do you have a way to digitize the 8mm footage and, would you be willing to share it? I'm a student of Bobby Taboada and we're always trying to collect copies of such old footage and photos, as there isn't a lot of it available.

Regards,

Robert

9. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

Gentlemen.
    We have removed several posts concerning tape trading.
    Please be aware that our rules clearly state:
    "- NO selling or distribution or discussion of illegal or copyrighted materials on this board. Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled. Discussion of P2P networks, File Sharing, Bootlegs, Warez or related is not allowed here."

Tape trading is included in this policy. It is illegal, under US and International Copyright law to distribute copyrighted materials, without the permission of the copyright holder.

10. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Apollo:

Sorry for any confusion. I'm a producer of Bobby Taboada's instructional video series. The exchanging of the instructional videos for the archival footage is for and with the permission of Bobby Taboada, the copyright holder. Monkey and I took the conversation elsewhere (email) so as not to become embroiled in any allegations of copyright infringement or run afoul of forum rules.

Regards,

Robert

11. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Robert,

In this case from your words, which I do not doubt, it is ok for you and only you as the producer and with the permission of Bobby Taboada, there is no copyright issue.

But it is our policy to not allow it, as to keep ourselves out of any issues over rights of products.

So this time no harm no foul on your behalf. :)

Thank you for your understanding.

Rich Parsons
    Balintawak Moderator

12. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Balintawak

I personaly am glad that this is your policy.I do own my collection & rites to.Also Im aware of who dose what for prodution & telecom.This is video editing-producing ect at its best.Iwill not break the F.B.I. code 501-506 regarguardless of what some so called tape traders say.What I have for videos ,they never will hence they post things to try to black ball me.The true people know My collection of over 200hrs Inosanto-over500 verious arts Are mine.The One That will exspess this also & have a collection 2nd as large as my.Is Fred Deguburge.Niether Him nor I break the codes.Like I said Im glad, as this is again another great way to suport the arts & my rites to what I have.Keep up the great work.You can rest easy knowing Only authersied reproductions will be made.Mabuhay & Balisalamet

13. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

Robert,
    Thank you for your understanding. Our concern is to both protect the rights (and often income) of the instructors, as well as keep ourselves from legal headaches.

Tom,
    I'm not familiar with this 501-506 thing, but am familiar with the tape trading "ethics", etc. Our policy is, we err on the side of caution here.

Of course, on the subject of videos, we are also always happy to archive and provide an means to view, provided its clear we can do so.

14. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

tapes

The 501-506 are the F.B.I. codes & I have many letters from Dinsney-Columbia & Rca for reporting such .The code states as such (Federal law provides servere civil & criminal penalties for the unautherized,distribution,exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures in any medium. -title 17 united states code section 501 & 506)This stipulates that no part or whole can be shown -or sold with out written permition.Senior Officer for Intel. Tom Carnes (medal awarded to me by Pres. Bush)& has his signature on it.Nice gold medal.

15. Marvin Diem

Marvin Diem New Member

I'm sorry, I don't know if I read that correctly, did you say that you got a medal from Pres. Bush?

16. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Balintawak

Yes While I did Army training -(footage of me on martial talk--serch monkey)which shows me training task force,I receive a medal that is a gold coin shape.It states on 1 side Mdedal of Merit then picture of the White House & George Bush signature.The other side has Republican Presidential Task Force.I also Got a patch that states 13th Intelligence SO(Senior Officer).Then a triangle with 13 stars in it a Wheel with wings & under that it state PRIMUM ECS VIDEMUS.Not bad for an 8 year vet.This had nothing to do with the Letters from Disney ect. but I did get more Respect from the investigators When I stated the video pirates & what they were doing.My rank I made Staff Sgt..

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, let's return to the topic at hand--Balintawak and its concepts of weight distribution!

18. Pike

Pike New Member

All Balintawak is primed for full power
    weight back s good for begin training

50-50 always ready to meet the next attack

pike

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

But not for more advanced students, you mean?

20. Brock

Brock Asha'man

There's slightly more weight on your front foot. You lift you're back heel slightly.