Balintawak & the use of Punta y Daga

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Mono, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Mono

Mono Member

I extracted this excelent Post from a different threat since I thought it is worth more attention.

This is actually the first time I ve seen the Use of Punta y Daga in Balintawak; since it is a rare thing, I was hoping to be able to start a Discussion on this Subject...

Who out there is (still) training, teaching or learning the Use of Punta y Daga in Balintawak?

How does it fit into your regular Stick to Stick Play?
    Maybe any Coments on training Methods? Principals? Concepts?

Looking forward to a great Discussion!

To Start with:

Then most of us probably read about Anciong Bacon having used the Knife (in a Punta y Daga way) during his early Days of Training as well.

One more post on the Usage of the Knife while in Stickfighting is extracted from y Post by GM Bobby Taboada:

And one More by his Student, Robert Klampfer:

Collecting from other Sources, I found the following that was said by GM Moncal:

I am not sure if the Punty y Daga is still taught in the Monca Lineages, at least there is little Mention of it on their website...

Also, I ve read on a german Forum that the "Atillo Balintawak" still teaches the PyD - though I have not seen how its done...

Summary:
    Though there is some stuff about "Unarmed Balintawak vs Knife and "Balintawak Knife vs Knife" out there, the Subject of Punta y Daga is mentiond often but Information on what it looks like, how its beeing (or used to be) trained etc is very rare (so thanks a million again for the Videos above!!!)...

Hope there are some of you out there who can fill this Gap! :)

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Germany,

Philipp "Mono" Wolf

2. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Thanks a lot for posting those videos, Mono. For whatever reason, I had not come across them before. I am continually impressed by the breadth of Balintawak and am often introduced to some aspect or element of it that I was unaware of before. The stick and knife together, as an aspect of Balintawak, is a perfect example.

The video samples that you shared showed only defensive responses to Punta y daga. I didn't notice any instances in which both "players" were using punta y daga. Have you noticed any of these?

The little Espada y Daga that I have done in the past didn't really compliment my training or overall development, because it was rather abstract and inconsistent with my training; it just didn't fit in with the system I was learning. To see this as a part of Balintawak is very encouraging because it means that it might be able to fit into my development more fluidly.

How else can or does punta y daga fit into the regular Balintawak training?

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, I've heard the stories often but never seen the techniques!

4. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Sorry... I didn't realize some of these links were originally posted by member "Teoval's Balintawak." Thank you and I hope I have properly credited those who have contributed to this thread of information.

5. Mono

Mono Member

I was just going to Correct this ;)

As I wrote in the opening Threat, those Videos, postet by user "Teovel's Balintawak", showed something I had read a lot about but never seen "in Action" before.

So I figuered its time to explore some of the Punta y Daga / Espada y Daga of Balintawak.
    For one to see how they fit into the Balintawak Methods and Training and also, to compare them to what I have seen and prcticed in Espada y Daga from other Systems such as Modern Arnis, Abanico Tres Puntas, Pekiti Tirsia or Inosanto Kali for ex.

Looking forward to more people to contribute!

Yours,
    Mono

6. Mono

Mono Member

Just realized that there is another Balintawak Video, showing some Punta y Daga (from CEM Group Cebu):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfbQXG3GK_Q

Starting at appx 1:04

Thought I d share it to add to the little Visual Information that there is on this Topic so far...

Greetings!

Mono

7. free2flow

free2flow New Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  8. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Good clip! Thanks for posting the link.