Balintawak Seminar in PA

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by PeteNerd, Feb 11, 2006.

1. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

Not really... everyone else seemed to be from schools that were doing modern arnis and/or senkotiros/balintawak from the pallen/atillo camp. No one there had any balintawak background from people other than atillo as far as i could tell, and i asked around.

Pete

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Now that the seminar is over, I’m going to risk sounding disrespectful. I didn’t want to say anything that might change people’s mind on attending the event. Having to pay extra for a diploma of participation says ALL!!!! This is an embarrassment for the martial art community and even worse for the FMA World!

As far as Pallen goes, I think he is a nice person. I don’t feel that he is a good representation of Balintawak. When I met him a year ago his people were quick to give there opinion of what was wrong, but couldn’t explain why there technique would fail them when we would start to play.

As for Atillo and Bates go, I have nothing good to say and would not support their events. I was tempted to show up and see if Atillo was as brave in person as he was on the phone, but two wrongs don’t make a right.

Peter, it was probably good that you did go. You got to see for yourself and make your own assessment on their skill and knowledge. When I went I considered it as an investment in myself. When I attend seminars I get to see want I should be going and what I shouldn’t.

I’ll be down Memorial Day weekend for a tournament. Maybe we can get together and bang some sticks while I’m in the area.

TJH

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Hmm... I attended this event and don't remember HAVING to pay $5 for the certificate of attendence.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

So, there's more to the story? Please tell us more!

5. Datu Tim Hartman

To make sure we are on the same page, the seminar we are talking about is the one in March and not the one that just happened in July.

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Same page. I was at both. Prof. Pallen was not at the July one. Only Atillo. I beleive the $5 thing was a donation for something the Grandmasters were doing, and they gave a certificate as appreciation for the donation. I guess that wasn't made too clear, or maybe I was mistaken. Maybe if they made it a certificate of appreaciation instead of participation it would have made more sense.

BTW the July seminar with Atillo was better as far as the standing around that was mentioned before. Much of that came from that being the Grandmaster first trip to this area, so unfortunatly he spent more time trying to communuicate to people who he was than training. This weekend he (as someone had also mentioned in a previous post) presented the information for everyone to work and then came around to each pair and personally worked the skills with each person.

7. too much talk here

too much talk here New Member

i find all this funny. the person talking the most trash has a modern arnis symbol next to his name. grandmaster pallen and grandmaster presas were friends and trained together. i've been to seminars with all both. I've also seen grandmaster atillo in action. it was spectacular. all 3 men deserve/ed serious respect.

i can't talk for any of them. but i can comment on what seems to be very a very modern problem in martial arts...lack of respect. don't get me wrong, i'm all for challenge matches. if you're gonna claim it, you better be able to back it up. and those three men can. you, however, i've never heard of. like i said, i can't claim to speak for these people, but i think you'd get manhandled.

8. too much talk here

too much talk here New Member

oh and i've just been to tim hartman's modern arnis site.

grand master presas taught people to have respect.

9. journeyman

journeyman New Member

atillo balintawak seminar

i was at the first seminar and the emphasis was on senkotiros not atillo balintawak...hence the non-existent or bland review from petenerd (who acted like he wasn't really interested to be there) which fueled a dumb response from tim hartman. after seeing gm atillo in action and your video against ricthedic, please, you are not even of caliber to face gm atillo.

i would suggest you visit gm atillo in philly, oct. 5-8, forget about the past, come with an empty cup and learn. if you come for a challenge, i'm sure gm atillo will most gladly oblige coming from the old school of dueling...we'll see who's "an embarrassment for the martial art community and even worse for the FMA World!"

Derek

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Admin Note.

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

11. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I second that. When I responded to petenerd and Mr. Hartman's posts, I was just trying to clear some points up. I wasn't trying to bring anyone's ability or morality into question. I have been very satisfied with the last several seminars that Michael Bates has put together and would hate to see anyone pass on a chance to train with GM Atillo because of one bad review.

12. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

1 bad review, 1 bad experience, 1 bad day, shouldn't stop people from training. Lets keep the positive flowing.
    :)

13. Datu Tim Hartman

Brock, no offense taken.

14. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I didn't think so. I figured you would have posted before this had you been offended.

Incidentlly, did anyone that attended the seminar know that one of the participants was actually cousin to the Canetes?