Balintawak Entry on MartialTalk MartialArts Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Bob Hubbard, Jan 16, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, someone from that lineage is what I guessed--a very persistent someone!

2. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

If a person only looks at the tree in front of them then that is all they see. They may not see the other trees that grew from same parent tree. To them that tree is the most important and the only view of the world they have.

Given time many will see the other trees. One can hope they do it sooner than later. :)

3. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

Hello Rich,

I hope I may not be misunderstood. But in a large family, there are siblings who just shine by themselves, some wants to shine by doing some gimmicks to attract attention. But some are non-sociable who are just willing to remain silent in the sideline but doesn’t mean, they are ignorant or uneducated.

In the garden, some trees are just big and have many branches, while some of them easily attract attention by onlookers because they were implanted from a good access view. But some trees although could hardly be seen in the garden bears also good and excellent taste of fruit where birds and bats are feasting in them.

In the Balintawak community, there are groups who are working hard to promote the art, even non-balintawak is riding the popularity and misuse the name. Some have large followers waiting for the opportunity to be known, but there are some groups who don’t want to be exposed although don’t mean they are mediocre nor have no skill at all.

I can only say, anyone have all the freedom to do what they believed could bring good thing to their group. Wikipedia gives them the opportunity and I am happy although not belong to their lineage, because they are brother balintawak to me.

Wilson

4. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Wilson,

I hope you did not take my comments as an insult to you.

I know there are those who wish to remain unknown but wish to teach students well.

I know some wish to spread the name of the art.

I understand that some trees have been planted in locations that allow better access to the mass population than others. It did not mean to imply that those trees are not skilled nor are they wrong to promote themselves.

My comment was that sometimes people do things thinking they are right and trying to help others. They may insult others and not even try. To me, I believe that there could be comments about the different groups within Balintawak and all could be recognized. If something is true then say it. Leave it stand on its' own. There is no need to create new or the try to hide others in the shadows. The light and exposure can in my opinion be shared by all.

If I had a real issue, to the point of thinking it would make a serious change, I would go and edit Wiki myself and see if it could not become a place for people to read about all the instructors and lineages of Balintawak. If someone is serious they may reference Wiki, but only to get links to other sources and to cross integrate information and not take Wiki as an absolute.

I hope you are well, and I hope that those who practice Balintawak continue to do so and continue to spread the art.

5. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

Brotherhood of all Balintawak practitioners

Rich,

Don’t worry, I take your comment as your own personal opinion that you share in this forum for discussion and to me you have the point because that is your own honest understanding. In my response I take the privilege to point out my own personal view using the English language in my own Filipino culture and understanding without the intention of maligning people but only for the purpose of contributing some good interaction.

To my mind all Balintawak practitioners is a brother Balintawak to each other no matter what nationality he may belong, although our group could humbly accept any rejection if the idea cannot be acceptable to some quarters. However, I believed that every generation of the Balintawak family is obligated to protect and love one another just as we love Noy Anciong the inventor of the art and be proud if there is somebody up there bringing the good name and show to the entire world in there own way about their existence.

But of course this excludes false and fake ones who are only riding the popularity and misuse the name. In wiki, anybody can add information about the stories of their own in the lineage of their teacher but I agree it should not be absolute. Those people might be thinking that their actions was right for as long as they are abiding on the site’s policy because anyone has given the opportunity to edit, I suggest it would be arranged into chronological order that would starts from the direct students of Noy Anciong and avoid deleting old entries.

I am very sorry that there are brother who are unmindful of the sensitivity of other people in the family although in my own honest understanding the entry in the wiki do no harm nor do I have the feeling that their action was very insulting even though as you notice they did not mention the name of my teacher Teofilo V. Roma the student of Mr. Teofilo Velez and President of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis group since it was established in April 17, 1982.

I hope that in this very moment everybody will learn a lesson and I appeal to all brother Balintawak to exercise loving one another in the family of the Balintawak community. God bless us all!!!

Your brother Balintawak

Wilson

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Wilson et al,

I agree we are brothers of the same art. We should be trying to promote ourselves as a group. And if there are differences comment on them, and a I have stated before if someone has added something to their training admit it and let their student know as well. Then less confusions will occur in the future.

As to those who are riding on the name and or inventing their own version of history, I hope people in time recognize them for they are. They might have knowledge in an art or skill set worthy of teaching but they just might be stretching or misleading others about history or relationship to an art. They should just teach and let people decide if they are worth while to go back and see again.

Thanks