Balintawak DVD - David Hatch

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by fangjian, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here seen David Hatch's Balintawak DVD set? Am considering checking it out and but would like to know more about it before I commit to purchasing.

Thanks

2. Cochise

Cochise Member

How many volumes are there by now?

3. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Volumes 1 - 7 exist. I just bought some.

I don't necessarily consider ALL Balintawak equal, per se.
    I am curious how they approach the material. I hope it helps in my training

4. Cochise

Cochise Member

Oh, 7 volumes. That is probably a pretty comprehensive archive by now then.

I'm sure it'll be interesting to see their interpretation and flavor of Balintawak.

5. medic

medic Junior Member

I talked to Guro Hatch before I purchased his first volume on basics. Being from NNG and the grouping methods he told me right away that some of our basics differ from theirs. After going through the dvd he is correct but still very informative nonetheless and I did pick up some things. That being said I was first exposed to balintawak through the Buot lineage at a seminar where Rich Parsons was one of the instructors, so I also had a chance to go " oh ya I remember being shown that"

6. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

I have zero experience with ungrouped method. I am excited to see what their methodology looks like so I can get more ideas on how to train.
    I never understand what the difference is ( could be cause of my own ignorance ). The groupings are just a reminder of ideas to jog your memory for exploring techniques associated with the corresponding positions and stuff. Like how Sil Lim Tao is to Wing Chun. If a teacher is pwning a student and trying to explain how he's doing it the student can get confused. At that point you can say ' Oh you know, like in Sil Lim Tao where you go like this. Or in Group 2 where we end up like that". And the student says " Ah ha "

I can see how they'd be a crutch though if only done that way. Or if all you do is Sil Lim Tao and a couple Pak Da drills without ever playing Chi Sao at random. But the forms are just there to jog your memory and stuff.

I only do groupings as they are for video purposes since I am never sure what is appropriate to display in public. Once a student has it, we never play them like that.

7. Cochise

Cochise Member

Which is pretty much exactly why I think that the differences are less defined by groupings or no groupings than they are by what different teachers emphasize, focus on, prefer, what other martial arts experience they have, etc.

We don't have groupings, and there are some big differences to a lot of other Balintawak I have seen, and yet, if you were to analyze several essential ideas and mechanics, I'm sure there are huge similarities, too.