Arnis - Kali - Escrima - Part 2 of 3 By Peter Freedman

Discussion in 'E-Zine Articles' started by Bob Hubbard, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

In Part 2 of this series, I am going to talk about my experience in the Filipino Martial Arts. The Filipino Martial Arts is known as Arnis / Kali / Escrima. Most all empty handed Martial Arts today seem as though, they are incorporating the Filipino Martial Arts into their systems. This is a wonderful thing. The Filipino Martial Arts has a rich History that you can go online and read about it or purchase books that have been written up on this subject. From my understanding the words - ARNIS / KALI / ESCRIMA are used throughout different parts of the Philippines. Some parts will not understand the terminology of the other parts. There are a thousand different dialects being spoken in the Philippines today and it all depends on where you live.

Also, some have told me over the years in which I have been a student of Arnis / Kali / Escrima, that these are all different types of Martial Arts. Here's an idea of what I mean here and this can be a can of worms for me. I am not saying I am an expert about all of these amazing Martial Arts, but I'm just touching on a small portion of what I have come to experience and learn over these years. So if I am mistaken, please excuse me & let me taste your cup of tea.

Here we go -

Arnis, from what I was taught, means to take something and to harness its energy and power. It is to be able to learn how to understand the workings of the nature of what is being used. It doesn't matter whether it is a stick, staff, sword, bolo, chriss, knife, rope, chain, shield, whip, spear, empty hand or foot. But from what I have heard, Arnis is mostly a stick art. Again, this is what I have heard from others.

In what we practice in the Boston Arnis Club, Arnis is taught through stick but each student is brought to understand they are actually using a bladed weapon. Now the reason for this, something that I was taught by my Master Teacher, Guro Grande George H. Brewster, is because it helps teach proper bone alignment.

You see when you use a sword, your knuckles are aligned in a way that your palm is behind the handle which in turn lines up your carpals and metacarpals of the hand and wrist, so that you will not hurt yourself when impacting something with your Baston (stick).

I have seen some students of Arnis come into my school (Dojo) over the years who didn't practice in this way & their stick work was weak. They couldn't generate the proper amount of power needed to break bones or other things being hit with a stick. They would argue with me that their system was superior to ours which kind of offended me a bit. So I put them to the test of hitting with me. We went outside & hit tires. Wham, - their stick vibrated right out of their hand. Their face looked as though they had a dozen eggs on themselves.

I then hit the tires & they could not only see the difference, but hear it as well. Then I explained why it is so important when learning a stick art, it is always a good idea to practice with some kind of edge weapon to help teach you proper bone alignment which in turn will help out your power of hitting with a stick by proper wrist & hand placement.

===
    Sensei Peter Freedman is the Founder of the Freedman Method Ketsugo Jujutsu System and Guro Director of the Boston Arnis Club. Sensei Freedman is also a trained reiki master and healer with over 43 years of martial arts experience, Sensei Freedman intends to teach, practice, and study Jujutsu for the rest of his life. He can be reached at (603)-529-3564 or at his New Hampshire Martial Arts blog.