Arnis, Kali, Escrima - Part 1 of 3 By Peter Freedman

Discussion in 'E-Zine Articles' started by Bob Hubbard, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Arnis, Kali, Escrima - Part 1 of 3 By Peter Freedman

Hello to all in Bu-Jutsu - Wushu - Martial Arts community

I wanted to mention something that I have been feeling inside of me for a very long time now over the passing years in which I have been a student of the Martial Arts. I have had the pleasure to study many Martial Arts during my life and meet some really amazing Grand Masters.

I have noticed that there seems to be weird energy that sometimes comes up amongst Martial Artists when paired up together, either in training or conversation. It really disturbs me when I see this. What I am talking about is that sometimes when I meet other instructors or students of other styles of martial arts, they seem to be very arrogant. They seem as what they are practicing is the best thing since sliced bread or chicken soup with egg noodles. Now I am hungry...

My point here is this, why can't we all just get along and be humble? Why can't we share our knowledge with each other with open minds & most importantly, open hearts?

Let's try our very best to outdo ourselves by helping each other to become better. Let's share the true art of whatever it is you have to offer.

You see over the years, all Martial Arts I have seen being taught to the public seems as though it has been watered down or at least has lost its true nature of combat application. By combat application, I mean the science of how it all works in life, nature, and in battle.

It seems to me that the healthy benefits of the mind, body and spirit has become a thing of the past and this hurts me to see this happen. Where is the humility?

You see in the past, all of the truly great Masters of Bu-Jutsu / Wushu had open minds. They really wanted not only the best for their martial art, but also the best for their family & students.

In order to become the best or the greatest at any subject you need to open up your mind and be honest with yourself. You need to be able to listen, take instruction and always remain humble when someone else is teaching you.

Be open and honest with yourself. Try to hear the points of instruction that is being presented to you and try not to become hurt or defensive about what you are hearing. Take it in and digest it in an honest manner.

For instance, I am juggling two different Martial Arts systems in which I happen to be the director and the leader of, The Freedman's Method Ketsugo Jujutsu system and The Boston Arnis Club.

Ju-jutsu / Jui jutsu / Jui Jitsu / Ju Jitsu = is a martial art that was spawned on the battle fields of ancient Japan. There are thousands of methods of this wonderful & beautiful martial arts that are being presented & taught all over this planet. Some are very different in teaching approaches and some have very different in techniques that are employed during battle or play. Every Master Teacher has their own ideas on how to present their art to their student.

In Ju-jutsu we are taught to close the gap of distance to smother your attackers, attacks. Also Ju-jutsu uses close quarter tactics as one of its main powers but not limited to other means of combative applications & strategy.

The Ju-jutsu-ka (student of ju-jutsu) is also taught how to use weapons. Most people today do not know about this & think (from what I now hear & are told by other people practicing martial arts) that all Ju-jutsu is ground fighting. Also my understanding from these same people is that all grappling is done from the ground only.

Well, my good friends, this is not true. Grappling can be done anywhere and even in your underwear... Yes, it can be done standing, it can be done squatting, it can be done kneeling, sitting etc. You can even grapple in the water, on the snow, or on the sand.

How about that? Amazing, huh? It's true.

In Ju-jutsu, we teach the Bo staff from all kinds of lengths four foot right up to seven or eight feet long. Shorter lengths are known as Han-bo three foot or Yawara seven to eight inches in length also known as a hand stick. We also teach sword work, spear, knife, weighted chain etc.

In order to defend against any kind of weapon you must first learn how that weapon is used first. Then defending against it makes sense. Who were the students & keepers of this amazing martial art of the past? They were the Samurai and the warrior monks. They both carried weapons for battle and for protection. Do your own research and find out for yourselves. Don't just take my words written here as gospel.

===
    Sensei Peter Freedman is the Founder of the Freedman Method Ketsugo Jujutsu System and Guro Director of the Boston Arnis Club. Sensei Freedman is also a trained reiki master and healer with over 43 years of martial arts experience, Sensei Freedman intends to teach, practice, and study Jujutsu for the rest of his life. He can be reached at (603)-529-3564 or at his New Hampshire Martial Arts blog.

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I never understand how people who claim to teach Japanese arts don't realize that "Bo" means "staff". What is actually saying is that in Jujutsu we teach staff staff... Argghh.

3. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

MA instruction is typically not communicated in the written form. It is communicated verbally, where bo, bow, and beau all sound the same. Redundant terminology came about for the sake of clarity, it is also used in scenarios that do not involve borrowing foreign words. As an engineer, I know the term "AC power" is inaccurate. AC stands for Alternating Current, which refers to the amperage (the flow of electricity). The actual "power" refers to electricity's ability to do work, which is the wattage.

If someone was working in my engineering lab and said they were having an issues with the AC, there is plenty of room for misunderstanding. Telecom equipment typically depends upon discrete AC and DC rails..issues with the AC could mean that there is electrical trouble with our AC supply. Or, it could mean that our cooling system has failed (again) and the temperature in the lab is approaching 90 degrees.

If that same person is working in our lab and says that they are having issues with the AC Power, I know exactly what their issue is, even if the term is technically inaccurate.

Don't sweat the small stuff ;)

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

You are substituting acronyms which might have multiple meanings (e.g. AC = Air Conditioning or AC = Alternating Current) thus requiring additional words by way of explanation, for actual words which someone is throwing around who should know better. Its not the same thing at all. If you are going put yourself out there as an expert in something which this guy is, it helps to make sure you are not using words you don't understand. Words have power and the words we choose to describe who we are tells people a great deal about us. Particularly in an area in which we are supposed to be knowledgeable.

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

So when a teacher says to work on one's \ˈbō\, which \ˈbō\ is the instructor referring to?

CEAECBC3-A0EF-42AF-&.jpg

brushkneeob1..jpg

the-bow..jpg

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

When I was in California many people were up in arms about the term La Brea Tar Pits, as La Brea already means "Tar Pit".

The phrase bo staff is used so commonly that I find myself using it without even thinking about it! I'm looking to communicate, not change how other people do so.

And thinking about how the Filipinos stutter words (dulo-dulo, etc.), who is in a position to throw stones?

7. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

If they are using Japanese terms in their school then they would simply say "yumi" instead of bow. Its really not that hard. I personally don't see a huge need to use foreign terms when learning foreign martial arts. However, if you are going to do it, do it properly.