arnis eskrima 09

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian R. VanCise, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

[yt]KmhWo81s3ro[/yt]

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

What a dam good idea. Me like this, me steal this....

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Agreed! I'll have to try it! Another "construction" job I'll ask Mr. Snow for help with.

4. JRC

JRC New Member

That was really interesting, particularly so when he switched to emptyhands. Anybody know what that pole is made of?

Jed

5. Pat OMalley

From what I can gather it is that polycarbonate stuff they use for machine rollers, dam near impossible to break and sound cool too.

I am just intreage to find out if there is a spring at the bottom???

Mongo Like This, Mongo Take....

Best regards

Pat

6. JRC

JRC New Member

Well, I checked with some local plastics suppliers/manufacturers about polycarbonate tubing. Apparently, what they sell (outside diameter of 1.25 inches) is quite rigid - no flex to it. I am hoping somebody may know of a specific brand of tubing that I could look for... thoughts?

Jed

7. sjansen

sjansen New Member

The "hit sticks" used in baseball give you the same type of flexibility and can be mounted. I used one to hit on at the start of baseball season with much the same results. They also have a bright yellow globe on the end that can be used for precision hits. They are made to take the hits from a baseball bat and will not break. There about $40 at your local sporting goods store.

8. JRC

JRC New Member

Well, I found some polycarbonate tubing - .3 inch in diameter that has a little too much flex, but might still be good for hitting. I am also picking up a 1 inch diameter length today, and will let you all know how that works out when I get it home - I am expecting that it will have the right amount of flex to it. Pretty excited!

Oh, and since this thread feels pretty much like a homemade training tools thread, I thought I might also describe the training tool I just made - it is an articulated arm with high-tension extension springs for the shoulder and elbow joints. I made it out of 1.25" pvc pipe, band clamps, lots of duct tape, rubber pipe insulation, and two 6-8 inch extension springs (one is the same diameter as the inside diameter of the pvc, and the other is just larger than the outside diameter of the pvc. I have put it all together, I am just trying to find a way to mount it at a 90 degree angle to the wall. I am thinking a Kee Klamp #62, if I can find a local supplier. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If this sounds interesting to anyone, I will post a step-by-step on how I built it, and will try to get some photos of the finished product...

Jed

9. Pat OMalley

Yep sounds interesting, and some pics and video of you using it would be interesting too.

Cheers

Pat

10. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Y'all should just message the dude on youtube and ask him how he made it.

11. sjansen

sjansen New Member

As for mounting to the wall you could use some 2x4's mounted at the top and mount to the floor or use some more and mount it into the wall.

We use some old printing tubes made out of cardboard with a tennis ball in between the tubes with a chain running through the middle to suspend them to practice precise strikes mounted from the ceiling. I works great for hard and soft practice and gives the the flexibility needed for reversals and disarm practice.

12. JRC

JRC New Member

SJansen,

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I don't think the 2x4 idea is going to work for this. Picture a 28 inch piece of pvc pipe cut in half (and then split down the middle lengthwise on one side). An extension spring is wedged between the two halves as the elbow joint, with one piece of the pvc as the forearm, and the other as the upper arm. One of the ends of the pvc pipe is then wedged into a larger extension spring. It is the end of this larger extension spring that needs to attach to the wall, and will hold the entire device horizontal (parallel to the floor). the Kee Klamp #62 is essentially a ciruclar railing flange that can be bolted to the wall and can be tightened around the spring. Here is a link to a picture of the flange: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=590088&ucst=t

I am trying to find a local supplier for something similar. Sadly, the industrial suppliers I have found typically don't have it in-house, and it would be a special order. I will take some pictures of the arm tonight, and try to get them up.

I really like your idea for the cardboard tubes with the tennis ball in the middle; I can see how that would be a very helpful training tool.

As for the 1 inch polycarbonate tube - I picked it up earlier this week, and it seems to have the right amount of flex. I just haven't had a chance to get it set up yet.

Jed

13. Pat OMalley

I did as soon as I seen it but no response yet

14. JRC

JRC New Member

Well, I got mine installed in the backyard, and no spring is necessary, the 1" polycarbonate tube has plenty of flex to it - as can be seen by the two bruises on my forehead... awesome. :)

In looking at the video again, it seems like it was buried next to a small wooden post to provide additional support.

Jed