Arnis de Mano?

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by jwinch2, Sep 22, 2010.

1. tim_stl

tim_stl Junior Member

we use the term 'trankada' in harimaw buno. not surprising that the term is widespread, since trancada in spanish means locked or barred.

tim

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Yes it is a pretty widespread term! ;)

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Simon,
    I know that you train in the provinces along with in Manila.. I was just stating that most of the people I know and train with in the provinces keep to themselves for the most part or are affiliated with very few other instructors.. I have been going to the Philippines for the majority of time since the Marcos times for training.. I pay for training that I arrange for in advance, but it is worth the time in doing so as majority of the time, the wife has things she wants to do and I tag along now and then.. But you can go to the beauty parlor or out to eat only so often, so once I get the training organized and scheduled, we split and meet at the house in the evening.. That way she can have family time and I can go get my stick time.. <G>.

I have gone to seminars in the states where I paid in excess of 300.00 for a two day seminar because it was something that I was interested in and the opportunity came to me while in the area.. I have gone to seminars in other parts of the states which have cost me my time in transit, hotel fees to include food, wear and tear on my car along with my seminar fees and have never complained about the cost.. But you have people who piss and moan about spending $50.00 and more for a seminar in their own areas.. Everytime I go to the Philippines for training, it costs me in excess of 1500.00 because of the time traveled, expenses in getting to the provinces and food, plus the cost of the excess balikbayan boxes aka philippine samsonite which we take with us for family.. Do I complain, hell no, I do it because I like the training and do it willingly..

In the past, I have given slots to people who were showing a desire to train in the Filipino arts in seminars here on island for free along with sometimes making arrangements for helping them with the fees if they were my students and were having a hard time in attending..

If we can't give back to help people who have taught us their arts as a means of supporting their families, then we shouldn't get involved with them.. I am not saying stand around and get ripped off by instructors as we both know that this happens in the Philippines also, but after a while of living in country, you can separate the wheat from the chaff as you have done by training with Yuli and the other guys..

Money is a necessity in the daily survival plan, it can come as easy as it goes, but a life long relationship and good friends balances out the trials and tribulations of being a foreigner living in another country.. Trust me, been there and done that for the majority of the last 40 yrs..

Nuff said

Bill

4. Hi Bill,

It may not always come across well on the net but I have the deepest respect for those guys that came over and have been supporting the FMA since I was playing with transformers (the original versions!) or in your case - born! I always respect those that make the long (and expensive) journey for no matter how long. Some people just seem to contextualize it a bit different - especially when talking about their 2 week trip on forums :(

I am sorry for derailing the topic somewhat. I just get irked from time to time. If you live in say the USA, Canada or the UK it is somewhat easier to blend in with the culture and surrounding.

For my part, I have also trained Eskrima in the States and spent a total of 9 months over there - mainly living in youth hostels whilst training. I only mention that as grounds for comparison.

I would be really interested in hearing how things have changed here over the last few decades. Is it right to assume that Eskrima became more of a business only in the 90s / 00s? I guess this is in keeping with the rest of Martial Arts but things are always a little bit behind in the Philippines!

And yes, it was most refreshing to experience the province a little. Master Lot Villabrille did not know nor care about other FMA groups or grandmasters. I think at one stage he referred to some stuff as "Dancing". It was probably after he showed me his collection of scars so I wasn't inclined to disagree...! So like you say, this allowed me to see things a bit differently and have more basis for comparison which is always good.

Like the others, I am also looking forward to seeing the vids for the Guam seminar.

Best wishes to you and your group.

Simon.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hello Simon,

Cannot wait to hear the minor regional differences for the same word. I find it intriguing to be very honest with you. By the way, how did GM Yuli's trip to Morocco go with GM Lebe?

God bless, Mike

G

6. Hi Mike,

We are looking forward to having GM Yuli back on the 16th of this month. There are guys in country already waiting for him to train!

I am not sure about GM Lebe. Is that the Silat guy? If so, they lived together for a while I think. There's quite a few high-level Martial Artists going through there at the moment.....The last update we got is that he was "Happy but tired".

I will ask over the weekend about "trankada" but suspect it is probably from the Spanish origin as discussed.

Best Regards,

Simon.

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Simon,
    No harm no foul.. I know where you are coming from.. I had students in the states that would be jumping at the chance of going to a seminar even when I was taking time off of work and driving myself, so I would offer the chance to car pool.. As the seminar dates got closer and closer, the stories of scheduling conflict would start along with the excuses of not having the money to go.. Hell, I was paying for the gas, taking time off of work and driving across 2 or 3 statelines for a 1 or 2 day seminar.. It is these kind of people that totally piss me off by looking a gift horse in the mouth and then the excuses will be flowing just because they didn't want to go outside the comfort of their own neighborhood and experience other training opportunities.

When I left Guam in 05, I flew for more than 30 hrs including ground time to reach the mainland.. Once I arrived at Ohare, I was kidnapped by Buzz Smith and driven across the state of Illinois for a two day seminar with his group in that area.. Even after flying that long and distance with little or no sleep, I was up until 3 am chicago time working with Buzz's group on some of the knife sets and footwork that I had been working and teaching.. The seminar started at 0800 and went on for the whole day and past 6pm the first night.. After we finished for the first day, we went back to the seminar host's house and spent another 3 hrs working on knife sets where I answered questions from the guys who were with Buzz during my kidnapping..

And to make things better, I didn't charge a damn dime for my little bit of knowledge.. I could have set on my keester and said that I was too tired, but I figured what the hell, might as well pass on the knowledge to the inquiring minds..

To me that is what I can do with passing on the knowledge of my instructors to the newer generation because I am getting to be an old goat and one day will be sitting on my front porch in the Philippines, watching the clouds go by and raking in my retirement checks every month.. To me, that is what it is all about.

8. Karl

Karl New Member

That turns to be a very interesting thread.....What Simon and Bill said about training in the Philippines and travelling sometimes more then one day just to go and train with someone. And on the other side guys who dont want to spent even a Peny and whant it all at once.....
    It is somehow normal that teachers in the Philippines nowadays ask more then before..Lets say 8o's or even 90's (I dont know how was before the 80'S Bill knows for sure better) with the internet is easy for them to see how much some guys are charging abroad.....Its also easy to find groups know who will teach there..NOt like before, I remember 1989 I went to Baguio and ask to many people about FMA and I was not able to find any group there..Now there are many...BUt what didnt change I guess is to find the likes where Simon goes (deep in thje provinces) low profile and starit to the point.....For me is like a treasure, juts go around mingle with the people and you will see....

9. Hi Karl,

Unfortunately it was / is not a regular occurrence. I am stuck here in Metro Manila but am hoping to get away in December for some peace and quiet!

I whole heartedly recommend the book "Cebuana Eskrima: Beyond the myth" as the authors spend about half the book researching lesser known Masters - all be it in Cebu. I gather there are quite a few hidden gems on Negros too.....

To add to Bills point somebody on another forum was looking to do some training. I knew the instructor he was talking about so put up the phone number. The guy said "It's too cheap - I don't know whether I will text him!"

For me that's just unbelievable on a number of levels.

As I wrote at the time so people need to be more honest with themselves. Do they really want to learn or are they just paying lip service to it? Many people sacrifice time, money and friendships etc to get good quality instruction. Then you get people who can't even be bothered sending a text message or go the next town over!

Anyway, I need to calm down :laugh: :(

10. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

And my guys loved your stuff Bill, sometimes having people value what you know is the same as getting paid for the imparting...

11. LegendLoLo

LegendLoLo New Member

Sorry for thread necro. But i was so dumb interested.

My Grandfather(Son of Albino Javellana - Buray'uton Ilo-Ilo City) told me that the word "KALI" and "ARNIS DE MANO" were derived from Spanish colonization back his time and WAS influenced greatly by them and other archipelagos around the PH.

It is to them that we got the words "Spada Y Daga" - "Sawali" - "Solo Baston" and etc. .

Up until now, we filipinos use words that are derived from other countries especially Spain and Americans.
    Boondoks = Americans Ph= Bundok - means mountain

Money counting were derived from Spain as of Uno, Dos, Tres etc. . Porque
    Still some are still eloquent in using Spanish words such as the Chabacanos of the PH islands.

And for the topic. What really is the history? Why is it called KALI or ARNIS DE MANO.
    My Lolo Answered- We got the word Kali from Indonesian Traders that means stick fighting and was greatly improved by PH due to our histories of colonization

Arnis was derived from the word Arnes(Spanish) which means Armor in Medieval times. The practitioners have to hide it so that those Spanish prosecutors will not catch them.

Supporting the above paragraph can be read as of these or can be proven by other filipinos.

Aswang(Monsters)- Which were invented by Filipinos to ensure fear against our colonizers.

And here:
    http://www.kungfuarnis.com/Arnishistory.html
    SIBIKI KULTURA PILIPINAS(4th Year Book) - Vidal Group of Company