Applying the "Straightblast" to Stickfighting...

Discussion in 'General' started by geezer, Jul 7, 2008.

1. geezer

geezer Member

Last weekend I was coaching at a workout where both Eskrima and Wing Tsun people were present. The Eskrima guys were doing some contact sparring, and one of my Wing Tsun colleagues broke off from his chi-sau and said something like, "That looks totally cool. Mind if I give it a go?" I was thinking, "Oh no... but he is an experienced martial artist, not my student, ...hell why not? It's a free country, ain't it?" So I gave him a helmet, glove and padded stick... and, predictably, he got whupped. So, he came over and asked me if I could help him. Now, this guy has messed around with sticks a bit, but really doesn't even have the basics down. So I decided to get creative. I showed him how to charge forward while striking downward with alternating left and right blows (angle 1 and 2). I told him use these strikes just like his WT straight blast, raining a continuous chain of head-shots as hard and fast as he could. Now this guy's big, strong and fast. He picked his moment, charged in, and literally beat his opponent to the ground. A couple of times. Then he went up against a more experienced guy who off-lined him and beat him. But the initial results were dramatic. Now, helmets and pads make a huge difference. I wouldn't recommend this strategy against a steel bar or a blade. But as basic self defense, I think it's worth looking into. How about you guys? Do any of you teach some kind of a "straight-blast" or "blitz" with sticks?

2. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

When in doubt, attack

I believe it was General Patton who said, "When in doubt, attack," or something to that effect. In any case, I have found that it is true in many situations. I know that doing this has saved my butt on a couple of occasions in the "real world." In some ways, then, I agree with your idea of blasting up the center. It's validity will, of course, depend on the skill sets of the "players," weaponry, terrain, etc. I will say that against a trained guy who doesn't rattle easily (often those with some real world experience under their belts) a blitz attacker is normally easy meat for the slaughter. It is a viable tactic in some situations, though. The Viking berserkers sure got a lot of respect! As students progress in skill I direct them toward off-line strategies, balance disruptions, and versions of the blitz that combine multiple attacks on high and low lines and which move to undefended areas as they are uncovered--basically a blisteringly paced combination attack that is all over the place. Of course, I teach them to have an exit strategy for when this doesn't work, because nothing works all the time, every time. A blitz is a very committed attack, and most of the time, if it doesn't work, the person doing it is in trouble. A "smart blitz" as described above is more of a "hit and get" sort of thing. Hit a lot, do a lot of damage, continue to hit until the target no longer needs servicing (i.e. the threat has been neutralized) or get out of range and assess the damage you inflicted if the target seems to be riding everything out rather well or worse, neutralizing and counterattacking.

3. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I've found it works better for me if I'm using 2 sticks, but yeah I've used the straight blast.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

the straight blast is nothing new in terms of FMA...I incorporate it weather I be bladed, with baston or empty handed. I always tell my lads that the weapon is you and every thing you posses..hell, if you can hit them with the kitchen sink do so. I want my people to understand that they are the weapon everything else a tool.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've usually seen the chain punches with (double) sticks as a charging Heaven 6 sinawali or sometimes a series of left-right jabs. It can work, but I don't really teach it as a straight blast (running forward).

This is just what I would expect! If you time it right and get the person back-pedaling, it can be quite successful; if not, he can get offline and be all over you.

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

In some of the provincial systems I have trained in from the Pampanga region of the Philippines, we have the training to give forward pressure and "straight blast" with our footwork.. In the Reston Balintawak system, we use the forward pressure along with the explosive footwork and that coupled with a 29 inch stick or even a blade irregardless of the size, it usually gives the opponent an OH **** moment when you are blasting them with the stick and the multi strike counters coupled with the explosive action..

There are a couple of the forumites involved with this group who know and have seen what I am talking about with the interaction we have had when I was stateside.. It was a blast (literally speaking) showing this system from the Central Luzon province of Pampanga which few people have known or even seen..

It was a privilege for me to pass this system to those who were interested in it.. I also appreciated the interaction with the different instructors who I trained with when I was stateside and have made some good friends in an arena where arrogance and ego have taken over the brotherhood that was instilled with the pioneers of the American phase of FMA evolution back in the 70s..

But that was over 30 yrs ago, maybe things will change in the future, but I doubt it..

7. geezer

geezer Member

Yeah. That's how I had this guy using it--double stick. One baston in each hand, striking downward and forward to the head in an alternating fashion like WT/WC "chain punching". BTW in WT/WC a similar "blitz" can be done with the "butterfly swords" or bart-cham-dao, using alternating thrusts as you charge forward.

Basically, the whole thing had me feeling a little guilty, like I was promoting brute force over skill and technique. But, I think KaliGman was spot on. For an inexperienced fighter, a swift, violent, "berzerker" (or juramentado) style charge may be your best bet. And, for the more experienced guys it's good to practice against this so you don't get rattled.

8. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

On the coattails of Guro Michael B, I was taught empty-hand straight blasts (am mostly a Lameco and Inosanto/Lacoste guy), and we all are hip that much of the empty hand stuff comes from tools, and vice-versa. Works better with some than others of course, and at certain ranges/circumstances.

9. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Sonny Umpad had a method of straightblasting with sticks by using the armpits as fulcrums.
    Both Kelly Worden and the Dog Brothers have videos about Maestro Sonny.
    The video by Kelly is a seminar from.. early 90s and the video from the Dog Brothers is more of a documentary but it does have plenty of clips with Sonny training with students.

Robert

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

I just wanted to clarify my statement. Maestro Sonny Umpad employed many parts of the body as fulcrums with the stick, he developed a simple flow to help teach the transitions and uses. If I can recall the order The flow started with the hand then transitioned to the forearm, inside of the forearm, to the inside of the bicep and then the armpit. A "straight blast" could be employed vertically or horizontally using the above mentioned methods.

11. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander Junior Member

I have actually used this type of an approach when *I* have been back pedaling,especially with double sticks.
    The opponents usually don't expect a flurry of well aimed and placed strikes while you are backing up.
    It is all in timing,but very effective ;)