Anyone interested in talking Karambits?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Cruentus, May 21, 2006.

1. Hickory

Hickory New Member

I bought a Smith & Wesson folder, just to try it out before I go spending $$$. I've been carrying it as an EDC item for about six months now, and have actually grown quite used to the blade, even as a utility tool. I wouldn't work in the yard with a knife that I've spent a couple of hundred bones on, but with a $25 S&W, I figured why not see what it could do. I haven't been disappointed.

About a month ago, I picked up a Ka-bar TDI Law Enforcement Knife. With the sharp-angled drop point, it wields much like a K-bit; of course you don't have the finger loop to help with retention, so that's a bit of a drawback. At any rate, I like the design.

I now carry both - none of my fixed blades are of "legal" length, and wouldn't be practical to carry in my work environment - one in the pocket and one in the ruck. I'm sold.

2. MachoDC

MachoDC New Member

Low cost training Kerambit

I just ordered a real low price "plastic" training karambit... haven't received it yet. Should be fun to play with! :sword2:

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Just an FYI that those are not really training Kerambits as they are sharp even though made out of plastic. They are more meant to be a throw away kerambit than a training one.

4. MachoDC

MachoDC New Member

I thought so!

Thank you for that clarification. I had a feeling it was sharp (based on the description), and an actual weapon.

"Officer, it's just a plastic toy!" lol :whip:

5. MachoDC

MachoDC New Member

Karambit just came UPS... yes it is sharp! Very nice piece though.... happy with the looks and feel of it!

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds good! It'd be nice to see a review by someone who tested one for endurance but that'd no doubt destroy it in the process.

7. MachoDC

MachoDC New Member

For $10-$12.... it'd be worth it.... looks pretty durable... maybe I need to get me a side of beef and go to town with it!! :)

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Consider it "taking one for the team" if you do ruin it in the process! Your dog will appreciate the leftovers from your testing. :D

9. MachoDC

MachoDC New Member

10. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Arnisador and MachoDC I have about a dozen of these and they are good for the price and if you consider it a throw away if damaged. [​IMG] It is an interesting plastic design and sharp. (very interesting)

11. MachoDC

MachoDC New Member

Played with it tonight for a couple hours......... snipped off the point & dulled out the cutting surface.... turned into a nice trainer after all! :)