Anyone interested in talking Karambits?

Discussion in 'Misc. Knife Arts' started by Cruentus, May 21, 2006.

1. 408kali

408kali New Member

My 2 pesos...

My take on the Karambit is that because of it's design it's a quick draw, easily concealed bladed weapon that can open an offender up in a heartbeat, and bleed them out, especially when the timing is right, i.e. if the blade is deployed unexpectedly. The stomach, and the main arteries (inner thighs, underarms, neck, and groin) are easily sliced/ripped/torn open. If properly executed, your adversary will be dead in less than five minutes.

On the contrary, in the US we generally wear thicker clothing and the inner thigh, groin, or armpits seem less accessible with the Kerambit. In this case the Balisong (Butterfly knife) or a fixed/folder is my preferred blade.

2. tanod

tanod New Member

guro louie lindo taught us a kerambit form from mande muda, i like it.
    also thinking of getting the travel wrench.

3. SUPERMAN .45

SUPERMAN .45 Junior Member

I got 1 Karambit a Smith & Wesson folding karambit, I Iike the blade.

4. stickfighter.dk

stickfighter.dk New Member

Funny how most people tend to focus on only being able to slash with a Karambit. I tend to use it with jabs (and straight punches), hooks, trapping, locks aso. I find it a great tool for in-close work. That said, I would never carry a Karambit as my sole blade as it is IMO a close quarters tool.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Good point! You can certainly 'prick' someone with it in more ways than one. There are a number of ways to use it in conjunction with locks/traps/throws.

6. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

If you really want to see Kerambit and alternative ways to use it.

[yt]2O6MchAeAkc[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I like that clip!

8. stickfighter.dk

If I'm not mistaken, that's Ray Dinaldo of Sayoc Kali doing some sweet moves. Anyone seen the the Sayoc Karambit DVD? IMHO it got some interesting material :coolyello

9. Baddmojo

Baddmojo New Member

Yeah, it's Tuhon Ray. Get the Karambit DVD it's worth your while. Sweet material. I admit I'm a bit biased, but I swear it's generations ahead of everything "I've" seen so far.

Anthony

10. stickfighter.dk

Anyone got DVD recommendations besides the Sayoc DVD (got it)? I'm trying to pick up a little inspiration :)

11. Doc_Jude

Doc_Jude New Member

I agree with what you have to say about the Kerambit use...

But why in the world would you carry a Balisong as an EDC? Since they're seriously illegal in CA, of course?

As for Kerambits, I'm in the market for a Mineral Mountain Lil' Prick...
    [​IMG]

They're about $180, but since you can get the ring expanded to 1and1/8", I'd definitely do that.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What aspect of the kerambit makes it illegal in CA?

13. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Doc Jude didn't say the Kerambit was illegal in CA...he said the Balisong knife is illegal in CA.

14. stickfighter.dk

I had not seen any Mineral Mountain knives previously. Thanks for the intro Doc, those karambits are deffinetely going on my "must have" list :bow:

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, my mistake! I was looking at the picture as I read the sentence.

16. neo headhunter

neo headhunter New Member

Kerambit DVD

I have seen both of Tuhon Ray's DVD one from Sayoc and another from our school FCS, by far the FCS Kerambit DVD have a ton more material on it, since Tuhon Ray primarily developed all his materials anyway. I'm sure you've heard "it's not how big it is it's how you use IT =), well the Kerambit is that IMHO. He discusses the 3 grips, triangles of attack, templates or targets.

17. Riddick29

Riddick29 New Member

I own both the DVD's ; I have a small preference for the Sayoc one, the explainations are better (I'm not a fluent english speaker) ; otherwise, as Tuhon Dionaldo gaves both curriculum ; it's globaly the same with some difference (more controls in the Sayoc, a bit of Silat too ; two complete Vital Template) ; and more uses/applications in the FCS one.
    There is Karambit too in at least two of the Sayoc Sama Sama DVD's ; and the components are including a new Template and some of the parts from the FCS Karambit DVD.

18. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Karambits

I train with karambits quite a bit. Albo Kali Silat teaches karambit as well as the uses of more conventional blades. I have several karambits, both live blades and trainers, folders and fixed blades. For anyone interested, I posted a few karambit videos covering some basic techniques in Albo Kali Silat regarding the use of the karambit. The videos are posted on the video section of this forum and you can follow the thread below to get there if you so desire:

http://www.fmatalk.com/showthread.php?p=24130#post24130

19. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Yeah I'm interested! I've never seen a talking karambit before! :laugh:

Okay, so that joke was only funny to me....

20. BING

BING New Member

Karambit as an EDC

I am carrying Emerson Combat Karambit as an EDC. I love this one, it can open very fast with Wave.
    I got many Karambit DVDs such as
    1. Steve Tarani Karambit 3 DVDs set.
    2. Sayoc Karambit
    3. Tuhon Ray Karambit Principles
    4. Ernie Emerson Karambit DVDs
    5. Kelly Worden: Karambit as an Impact Weapon
    6. Kuntao Silat Karambit
    7. Kenpo Karambit
    8. Silat Mubai Karambit
    I found out that anyone who has back ground on martial arts such as Kempo, Silat, FMA the Karambit is more easy for them to use it and make it functional more than show off.
    Thanks,