Anyone else here train Balintiwak?

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by jspeedy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

I've been training for about 3.5-4 years. My local club is pretty small right now just me and one other guy. We train at a JJJ dojo on the JJJ guys off days and we occasionaly spar with them. I don't think there are many FMA groups around me in the Pensacol/Ft. walton/Gulf Breeze area, and there's no FMA advertised that i've seen. I'd like to find someone of a different FMA style to workout with and spar on occasion.

**edit** after doing some looking around here it appears there's a lot of Balintiwak guys here. Even an entire Balintiwak forum, wow. I'm not sure but I think I saw GM Taboada on a thread, I love that guy!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! We do have several Balintawak players here. I've only dabbled but wish I knew more.
  3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Its not Balintawak, but there does appear to be some FMA in your area...

Filipino Combat Systems Pensacola, FL
    INSTRUCTOR: Rene Calara
    PROGRAM: FCS Kali, Kickboxing
  4. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

I've ran across this same info before. It seems to be a personal email though that is given as a contact. Right now i'm not necessarily looking for a new instructor just others to workout/train with. I'm very busy with school at the moment, my curremt FMA training schedule well suits the only training I can do. I think it would be inappropriate to contact an instructor wihtout being able to commit to some sort of regular trainging schedule. I just want to find some FMA students to "play around" with and maybe learn a thing or two.
  5. PlumDragon

PlumDragon New Member

Hi Speedy,

Having spent several years training Inosanto Kali/JKD (and other non-FMA systems), I now dedicate my time to Balintawak. I live up in Huntsville, AL about 5 hours North of you. If you ever make your way up here, I have the occasional visitor, although usually to see our herbal pharmacy. At any rate, I always enjoy visitors.

Additionally, if youre available in the beginning of January, there is a potential training opportunity for you that would be well worth your drive. Feel free to PM me here or email off forum at if youre interested in details...
  6. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

Sounds interesting. Look for my email.