Another Footwork Question

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by Fewskivvie, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Fewskivvie

Fewskivvie New Member

Greetings everyone and happy 4th! New to the forum and I have a question for the DTS folk. Hopefully I can ask this question without politics or heated useless arguements arising from both sides. I have a 3 year PTK background but I recently started doing some research on DTS, purchased some instructional dvd's and noticed how the footwork closely resembled the aikido/aikijujutsu i took in the past. I didn't see the classic diamond/triangle footwork prevalent in most FMA's. Now, scouring the web for more information i noticed a website which outlined the DTS system. Here is the link...http://www.makephpbb.com/nubreed/vi...b3d545de3e3c72cf554d4b6aaf33bd&mforum=nubreed

Notice how on the second post under footwork progression it does include "reverse, forward triangle footwork" in the outline. So in regards to Dekiti...Does it or doesn't it incorporate the triangular footwork found in PTK aside from the aikido-ish stepping? Again, if you have intentions of posting "This style is real that one isnt, this work that doesnt" please dont reply. I seek informative and mature answers. Thank you all and God bless!

2. billc

billc New Member

I have a little training in PTK and I have been training in DTS for just over a year. To get some solid answers to your questions, some of the same that I had when I started in DTS, I recommend that you speak with my instructor John Bednarski. He has knowledge of PTK and is the student of Jerson Toral of Dekiti Tirsia Sirada Kali. I would recommend other DTS instructors as well, but John is the only one that I have actual training experience with. You can find him here on the DTS topic thread, I'm sure he will see your question, and you can find him at the Midway Kodenkan website. He teaches his class there and they have his training background listed. If you are interested, he is holding a tournament in August called the Pacific Island Gathering. It has a thread here on FMAtalk as well as on Facebook. If anyone can answer your questions about either aspect of the Tortal Family arts he would be the one. He has an extensive background in the FMA and the indonesian arts so try to reach him. He is an excellent practitioner and teacher and he can clear up any questions you might have without, as you say, the politics of the arts. Thanks.

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

Pragmatic footwork

Hello,
    Due to the limits of my typing skills and the reality of fourms, any answer I give will simply be incomplete. Does DTS contain triangle type footwork, the answer is yes but they are open triangles done at a 45 degree angle. The art also contains striaght line and 90 degree "Akidoish" footwork as you call it. I would pesonally call it sycronizing with the opponents attack to deliver a counter offensive blow. You could also look at it as a reverse of the hakban- piwas so instead of stepping backwards and out of the way you are actually steping forward and out of the way to effect technique. Nevertheless, I think it would be better to actually see in person if the footwork works for you or not. Get together with a DTS instructor and see for yourself, because in the end my descriptons sound like a generic everything else with out the proper context. I hope this helps....

Thanks,
    John

4. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

As I have have stated many times in the past, "Our footwork can arguable be considered triangular(meaning tree points and not a perfect triangle)." But! It is intended to be used in all 8 directions with no set angles, distance or direction. Those factors are determined by you and your adversary, the types of weapons used, the speed, level and direction they and their attacks are coming in etc. The great thing about the footwork, is that it is FLUID and nothing is set in stone. We also have "Shuffle Stepping" which flows together perfectly with the angular footwork. with the The footage you watched shows/teaches the most basic concepts, first to "Get the hell out of the way" then to counter-attack with that same movement. I think Guru John stated it perfectly, "synchronizing with the opponent's attack" and always moving forward to attack without needlessly going back and forth.

That is the "OLD TORTAL style footwork that evolved from using a Binanggong/Binangon(the original style of Ginunting). not this Binangkoko Manilanized blades you see everywhere today. A Binanggong is an axe, if you try to do the style of footwork you are speaking of with a traditional Ilonggo blade, you will cut your own leg off. My old Binangons or Ginuntings if you will, are well over 1/2 inch thick. Made for cleaving limbs off a tree or a person.

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Nice post Mike and hopefully that gives everyone an answer that they can chew on!

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

One thing I have to say about the DTS footwork is that they really work it hard in their training. I can remember Grand Tuhon Tortal at my Training Hall in Alma putting a room full of younger guys to shame as he drilled us on his technique! The other observation is that it blended well with what I do and reinforced to me to continue drilling the footwork and movement that is essential with good Filipino Martial Arts! The Grand Tuhon "Nene" Tortal is truly an inspiration to anyone! :coolorang

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Agreement on all counts there!