An old timer PTK guy did the video on the TFW blades...

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by Ron Kosakowski, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

This Traditional Filipino Weapons video came out real good. Dave Everette, an old timer who with Grand Tuhon Leo back in the early 80 and also did a lot with Bill McGrath. He did a few videos like this. He really likes the TFW weapons. I like the music in this video also.

Check it out when you have the chance to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49EPdTN_nI

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Cool video and beautiful weapons. I would suggest however that if he wants to demonstrate the cutting power of the swords, striking the target and having it break off 8 inches below the cut line is not a very good way to go. It would be very cool to see cutting demo's with all of those blades in a more "live" manner.

Just my opinion and I am not trying to attack the guy. It was obvious that his cut was nowhere near full strength, but that part definitely took away from what was otherwise a very impressive look at those blades.

3. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

I will attest to the cutting effectiveness of Ron's blades in a more "live" environment. Ron's blades are extremely sharp and I have been test cutting with the ginunting that I purchased from him this year. It sliced clean through a deer neck for me and will still shave the hair on my arm (which is really something if you have ever seen the hair on my arms).

Hey Ron, sorry I couldn't get the video of it. I asked around and got a lot of funny looks from other people when asking to decapitate there game.

4. Ron Kosakowski

Thats ok! i cut a deers head off also with a Ginunting. The guy that hung the deer said it would not go through the spine. So I chambered that blade back and swung it like my life was in danger And it went through so easily, I thought I miss. I did not even feel it hit at all...spine and everything else went like butter. I filmed it but I was so dam surprised because I thought it missed, I looked stupid in the video so i ddn't put that one on youtube. I figured someone else will bring me a deer to cut.
    For you animal lovers, it was killed by a hunter and we all eat the meat from it. Nothing goes to waste so its not being cut up and thrown in the garbage. [​IMG]

By the way, here are quite a few of the videos of people cutting stuff up with my swords. I desided to put them on the site. Some of these folks i do not even know but it shows how sharp and durable they are. Go to http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/TFW Videos.html to see it for yuorself. Let me know your thoughts.

5. Mangtas

Mangtas New Member

My mouth is salivating just from watching the video. Nice blades, my favorite is the Lahut, although my only complaint about it is the small guard, but that's just my personal preference, I feel more comfortable with a bigger cross guard. Wonder what the hilts are made of? My eyes aren't that good I guess, I'd say some type of hardwood. Any horn hilts?

6. Ron Kosakowski

It is made of adaan...its a rare hard wood. I can't remember exactky what island it comes from. i think it grows mostly in the north. It is a nice feeling sword. I noticed the rattan wrapping keep the hand from sliding. Nothing like the old methods that still work by todays standards.