An Honest Question about Sikaran

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by BayaniWarrior, May 21, 2008.

1. BayaniWarrior

BayaniWarrior New Member

Hey guys. I've honestly not had that much of an exposure to Sikaran. I've learned a few of the techniques in the past (my favorite being the low stomping kicks to the knees) but I have never formally trained in the art. After going online and watching various Sikaran videos, I've noticed that a lot of Sikaran looks very similar, if not identical, to Tae Kwon Do. The uniforms are identical to Karate/TKD gis. There are many reverse punches, low horse stances, low blocks, and Karate stances. There are Katas (I'm not sure if you call them Katas in Sikaran, it's the only word that comes to mind when thinking of the solo sequences).

My post isn't to offend anyone. I'm just interested in the art and I am curious as to why most Sikaran looks similar, if not identical, to Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I'm very interested in the art, I just notice that there seems to be a heavy TKD/Karate influence.

To illustrate my point, I found two different Sikaran clips online.

This first clip is very Karate/TKD-esque. Kata training, uniforms, and the like.

This second clip looks more Filipino. Lots of Moro footwork, and many of the techniques are reminiscient of FMA empty hands and Silat.

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone or imply that Sikaran is not Filipino. I'm sure it is...I'm just wondering why a lot of the Sikaran I've seen resembles TKD and Karate.

Respectfully,
    Mike

2. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

It depends on whom you study Sikaran with. I will agree that many Sikaran practitioners could pass for TKD practitioners with ease.
    Most seem to do snap kicks but some do more push kicks ( using the thigh more than the knee for delivery of the kick).
    Low line kicks are favored by some but many do the high kicks including flying kicks and some that just look fancy. If you see a kick in TKD you can almost bet it is done by some Sikaran practitioner.
    Footwork also depends on whom you train with: some use almost “karate stances and foot work the resembles Japanese fighting styles, others use a more flowing foot work that resembles Chinese hard and soft styles, while others use 45 degree movement most of the time, still others use what you showed in the clip. It depends on where the Sikaran came from and the instructors background and training in other arts.
    Forms are also varying depending on where the instructor learned and what other influences have been introduced into his teachings.
    As a note to all: Sikaran simply refers to a foot fighting method used by many but it has become known also as a style of its own by a few systems.

3. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

I have seen a little bit before, they used more stiff leg techniques, like Thai kicks. I imagine there are more than just a few styles.

4. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

about 3 major style that i know of that teach Sikaran as the base or whole of their system but I belive that most FMA systems use some sikaran within their systems

5. Bagwis

Bagwis New Member

hi to all....

Im one of the senior member of sikaran and been to art for 25 yrs. as of now im teaching the art (sikaran) here in toronto. I love sikaran which been pass down from me through Master Geronimo's senior instructors, being in the sport of sikaran as well as in karate and kick boxing and been taekwondo practioner too... i could say that sikaran style is very much different from every art that i mentioned in which been involved to all, first as a national team member of sikaran who compete all over the Philippines, internation team member of sikaran, compete in Sydney Australia and Canada, as a karate player in PUP, competed in various national traditional karate championship, various fights here in Toronto in Karate points and continious spar, as well as form. fights in various kick boxing macth in manila, been member of MA gym in Laguna taekwondo and spar to lots of black belts there. i could humbly say that each has diff. approach or tecniques in fighting and all are effective, anyhow, i find sikaran tournaments more exciting and challenging as it is more contact compare to taekwondo, it use sweeping both turning and fron ways as karate does, but also adop scissors sweep. i gues what you guys have seen is the newly covered tournaments, wherein, recent techiniques of sikaran variates a lot to a fancy kicks, original sikaranista stance and method of fights (generations before me) is way diff compare to todays sikaran youth, as to form sikaran have unang sikaran, ikawa, ikatlo, ikaapat and ikalimang sikaran, which demonstrate kicking combinations and its use, the karate form (kata) somehow, have been passed down too by first genaration of sikaran who is affiliated to karate brotherhood of the phils. also headed by col. Geronimo and compete in various asian karate champinoship, as to uniform, red pants is the trade mark of sikaran, before we fight with nothing but the belts and red pants, i remameber in sydney, once they see participants from sikaran under sir Jessie Diestro one of the sikaran tough guy...you will here them.."oh ohh here come the red pants"...uper unifor is much diff to karate since it has button on it, belting also have diff method, theres no other rank but white or black...but of course with certain category as to 4th class white belt, 3rd class, 2nd class, first class and kahusayan. i wish i could share more, anyway you can contact me as litojacla@yahoo.ca

thanks to all and more power to all martial artist specially to my master...Master Geronimo.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Most FMA arts will have some kicking or other type of foot attack (sweeps, etc.), but does it necessarily come from a sikaran lineage? I've also heard it called just sipa.

7. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Arnisador,
    Sipa, is a game similar too hackey-sack played in the Philipines. One plays with a coin with friends in an attempt to keep it up in the air. So, I am sure you can see how these kicks and combinations of kicks made it into the various methods of FMA. Sikaran proper is a game in which two persons try to kick each other out of a circle. Use of hands is not allowed... Hope the distinction helps?

Thanks,
    John

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, thanks! I had heard something about sipa and the coin but I heard it was having a sharpened coin in your toes/attached to your shoe for cutting. The shin-kicking game and its variations has cousins in Korea and the U.K. that I know about.

9. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

1st video
    I have to believe they have been corrupted and merged some karate or tae kwon do and that it isnt very pure filipino art there. Come on...Gi's and belts and robotic movement in a big group. Must be more Korean or japanese than filipino.

2nd video. This looks like more of a filipino art.

Damn interesting, alot of it looks familiar but they really have worked at it and focused on it. Cool. They make it a specialty or is it just part of what they do? (super focused on only the foot aspect?)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  10. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Yup kicks in different FMA systems has nothing to do with Sikaran. Sipa means kick, a generic term that can be used by anybody while sikaran was originally coined by the players of Sikaran The Game where both players try to kick the others head first to win. The circle was there so that running away and evasion will be minimized. Sikaran intentionally removed punching because it's just a game and they felt that punching denotes anger. Also, kicking the head requires skill while it doesn't require much to punch. Take note that when Filipino says suntukan i.e. punching.. it doesn't mean that you can't kick, grapple or throw. It only means that both of you agree that nobody will use weapons and nobody else will join the fun. Sikaran is different, it is an entity on its own.

11. djaney

djaney New Member

In our school we use the "sikaran stance". its like standing on one leg with your body facing almost opposite to your opponent and the front leg is always ready for a direct kick..

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sort of like the karate-style cat stance?

13. djaney

djaney New Member

yes, the difference is in sikaran stance the body does not face the opponent so that you can deliver a direct sidekick quickly.

14. Leopard

Leopard New Member

I know this is an old thread but when you remove the hand from a tournament situation or match, it would seem that what you come out with is akin to TKD Olimpic matches.