An "ecumenical" approach...

Discussion in 'Arnis Exploration' started by Dr. Tye W. Botting, Aug 11, 2015.

1. As I've said many times, to me (and hopefully to others), Modern Arnis is the whole style, the art in its entirety. It is no longer any single person or organization, but it grows through each of their growths, their exploration, their sharing, and their students. Each has parts of the old whole, but each can be working their parts dynamically to the benefit of the whole enterprise... And I love it ALL!

Back in the early 90's, I specifically chose Professor Remy A. Presas, Sr., and his art, his vision: Modern Arnis. That whole is what I'm committed to, and that's why I'll continue to work across any imagined lines and learn from and share with everyone in the extended Modern Arnis family, open and encouraging to each. Mabuhay ang Modern Arnis!

And it can't just be me - I'd encourage all of you to train with whom you want, share with those that train with you, and extend the understanding and the reach of the Professor's vision. In my opinion, you can be loyal to your teachers, your school, and your organization(s), and still be an avid proponent of and good example for the art as a whole, spread across the diaspora. Happy training, and keep up the good work!

Rich Parsons likes this.
  2. On a more personal, less overall strategic note, I recently realized that last month was the 20th anniversary of my own first black belt from GM Professor Remy A. Presas, Sr. I was and continue to be so honored that he presided over my first 3 modern arnis black belt tests (yes, I was one of the non-probational lakan, lakan isa, and lakan dalawa crowd), and that he insisted in 1999 that I test for lakan tatlo (but twice I couldn't due to surgeries before his passing, unfortunately).

I'll never forget my last test under Prof. Presas - my student Abel Martinez (who was going for lakan) and I were told to tone it down because we were distracting the other testees, and the slamming was too noisy and forceful, LOL - sticks were flying, and we were really hitting on all cylinders that day, throwing, countering, disarming, falling, locking, slamming, etc! But I'm happier still just to have known the Professor, trained with him, and been his uke for countless seminars and camps in the TX area in the mid-to-late 90's; it was a privilege and an honor. Sure it hurt (a lot!), but it did so much for my own locks and throws that I'll forever be thankful. Every time I train and teach, I remember each of his lessons, his laugh, and his unique feel and efficacy.

It's for all of these reasons and so many more that I support all who trained with him in the past or who train his material today, regardless of organization or other issues. Anyone lucky enough to have a piece of what Professor shared has something I and so many others love, and I consider us all an extended Modern Arnis family in the largest sense. I would love to train with any one of you.

Professor, you were and continue to be an inspiration - pugay po at mabuhay!

Rich Parsons likes this.