Albo Kali Silat Videos

Discussion in 'General' started by KaliGman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

There are quite a few videos on the website. As we add new videos, I will use this thread to post a link to the latest videos which may be of interest to some here.

The link below will direct you to a video review of the Spyderco Rock Salt, a fairly large (about 7 inch blade) fixed blade knife. I had been asked to do some work with a larger knife, since we primarily use folding knives in Albo Kali Silat and thus mostly use smaller blades. Since I love the balance of this knife and it is one of the fastest moving fixed blades I own, I decided to use the Rock Salt in a video. It is almost a Spyderco commercial, because I really like the knife that much. It does show some speed with a blade, though, along with some of the trapping abilities inherent in this knife design. Keep in mind, this is not a training blade, it will easily shave hair off of your arm:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/rock_salt.html

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Surely we're due for more videos!

3. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Yes Jon.No excuses for not posting more videos,like moving to another state,setting up another school and having to find another house to live in,LOL.

Great video on the Rocksalt.Nice techniques and speed. What an awesome blade - a must have.

4. KaliGman

Videos

I still have a few boxes to unpack. Trying to find all the Christmas decorations amongst the sea of boxes (a small sea, compared to the raging ocean of packed goods we had right after the move) has been interesting, and my kids were a lot of "help" :wink3:.

I have a few videos on the website that have not had a link posted here. I should be filming some new videos and getting them posted a short time after the holidays.

In the meantime, if anyone is going through Albo Kali Silat withdrawals, there are some still images available:

1. For our Russian speaking members, the October issue of Prorez (Russian knife magazine) had several pages on the combative use of the karambit featuring Albo Kali Silat methodology (special thanks to my student, Joe, for being the "victim" in the photos).

2. According to the publisher, the Black Belt magazine issue with a new Albo Kali Silat article on the use of low line and low level attacks and defenses should be on the shelves of the local bookstore in late December, early January (if there are no delays). (My student, Chris, assisted in the photos in this article).

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, great news!

6. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

Being the victim paid off. I'm currently signing autographs and receiving emails form Jackie Chan's stunt team.

7. KaliGman

New Video

A new video was recently added to the Albo Kali Silat website. I am a great fan of the knifemaker Ed Schempp and the designs that he has created for Spyderco. In particular, Ed has an "ethnic" series of folding knives being produced by Spyderco. One of these, the now discontinued Spyderco Kris, was a very nice, interesting interpretation of the Filipino weapon. The latest Schempp creation is a folding knife paying tribute to the Filipino Barong. A lot of knife afficianados have asked questions about or made comments concerning the Spyderco Barong. I decided to explain how this particular folding knife has some interesting combative uses, and so did a video.

I recently broke my right hand in training (punyo to the back of the hand, where I had an old, existing injury led to torn ligaments and fractured bone--ouch!), so I did everything left handed. As usual, this Spyderco shaved hair off my arm right out of the box, so movements at speed are dangerous without a lot of familiarity with the knife.

I hope you enjoy the video:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/barong.html

8. SenseiArashi

SenseiArashi New Member

Barong video

Thank you for the very informative video.

Mickey

9. KaliGman

New Video

There is a new video on the Albo Kali Silat website. This one focuses on empty hand work, low level motions, and takedowns. We move much more slowly than normal in this video, rarely faster than 50% speed. We slowed down so that some of the motions would be easier to follow and to allow Greg, the student who is attacking me in these videos, to fall without injuring himself. We flimed this one in a local school building, so all falls are done on a hard, tile floor. The knife used by Greg in the video is an Emerson Combat Karambit Trainer (an unsharpened, training version of the Emerson folding karambit knife). Please read the text that goes along with this video on the website, as it explains the two different points of view from which this was filmed and discusses some of what is going on in the video.

http://www.albokalisilat.org/unarmed.html

I hope you find the video of interest.

10. KaliGman

New Video

There is a new video up on the Albo Kali Silat website. This one deals with low level work and fighting on the vertical plane. Some points in this video show the speed of attack and movement that is possible at low level.

Here is the link:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/low_level_series.html

11. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Nice clip...I see so many similarities to what we do in SEAMOK...especially coveting that head and neck region. Nice work brother.

12. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Excellent stuff, very practical. What I like is the way the power is intercepted well before it reaches it's potential,thus negating the attack - the same principles of the baston in serrada range.

I liked the forms at the end of the video as it is easy to see the fighting applications and implications of these movements.

13. KaliGman

Some new content on the website

There are two new videos on the website. One is a demonstration of a "slpjoint" or non-locking folding knife which is kept open only by spring pressure. Due to the fact that carrying locking folding knives on a routine basis is banned in certain European nations (including the United Kingdom), I have been asked a couple of questions about using a non-locking folding knife. I demonstrate the use of non-locking folding knives in the video by using a Spyderco UK Penknife, a non-locking knife that has some design features that make it more difficult to inadvertently close the knife on your fingers and injure yourself. The video demonstrates what good FMA students already know: it is not the tool used, but the person using the tool (and the training and skill of that peron) that is most important in a fight.
    http://www.albokalisilat.org/UK_penknife.html

The second new video came about due to questions I was asked concerning the use of a training knife (non-sharpened) knife as a control tool/impact weapon, as well as some discussions regarding pry tools, multi-tools, and other items not normally thought of as being suitable to use in self-defense. In the video I use an Emerson Karambit Trainer and a small titanium prying tool built by Ed Schempp. My students and I had a lot of fun filming this one, and we spent quite a bit of time off camera discussing and practicing the use of various "non-standard" self-defense tools.
    http://www.albokalisilat.org/karambit_prybar.html

In addition to the videos, there is a new "rant" on the site. This article discusses various issues I have seen raised on the Internet.
    http://www.albokalisilat.org/rant7.html

More new content is coming soon. Several photo series (technique series) will be added. We will also be filming some more videos soon, though they probably will not be up on the website for awhile.

I hope you enjoy the content. Post your questions, comments, and discussions here if you so desire. Thanks for your interest.

14. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

I can't watch those vids at work, but I read the rant...pure gold.

I train and teach mostly for single opponents (dueling). But we have a solid foundation of self-defense underneath. I made sure of it. So I really like hearing perspectives of Law and Military people when it comes to training and execution...and mindset.

This is what really caught my attention:

This is a subject that concerns me. I am concerned that I may be prosectued for nothing more than takiing necessary steps to protect my life and/or family. If I were to draw a weapon, I'd make efforts to not kill an opponent unless they gave me no choice...but I know its not that simple. Thank you for addressing that.

Also where can I order one of these :
    “Death Incarnate 2010 Ninja Destroyer”

and can you teach me this style:
    "Chinese Ninja toe wrestling / handgun coupled with the XYZ combat stance and grip"

XYZ combat stance sounds fascinating and practical.

:wink3:

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Chinese Ninja toe wrestling? Check out the book by Ashida Kim, with Dr. Haha Lung!

16. KaliGman

New Video

I had a few requests to do a video with some heavy, chopping style blades. In particular, I was asked to work with a khukuri. The video shows some work with a hand made khukuri imported from Nepal by Himalayan Imports.

http://www.albokalisilat.org/khukuri.html

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I keep promising myself that I'm going to test some of my own blades like this some day but never do!

18. KaliGman

The newest video on the Albo Kali Silat website is a bit different than many of the others. First of all, it is quite a bit longer than normal. Secondly, since this video was filmed in order to answer some questions about how to generate power in strikes from close range and/or at awkward angles, it describes some concepts and is more of a "how to do" than a "demonstration of" body mechanics. For those of you who have contacted me with questions about power generation, I hope this answers some questions. Please note that only a few of the many mechanisms to generate power into a strike are demonstrated. Though the empty hand strikes are demonstrated, as is often the case in FMA, the motions and principles apply to the use of weapons. Hopefully, this video will be of interest and use, or at least generate a bit of discussion in the Albo Kali Silat forum, which has been awfully quiet of late.

http://www.albokalisilat.org/power_generation.html

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I liked the comparison to the typical empty-hand arts, where power comes so often from the hip, to what happens with weapons arts close-in and fast.

I also liked--though it's sad that this is necessary--seeing it called out that it's just body mechanics and nothing mystical. I love how Dab Inosanto always compares what he is doing to what a football player (say0 does. It's just sports--just exercise physiology. No magic.

The spiral technique you demonstrated is exactly what I learned as a component of Seisan kata in Isshin-ryu Karate...in 1979! What's old is new again for me.

20. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I really appreciate the format you're using, i.e. vidos accompanied by textual explanations on the same page. It gives a nice rounded package.