Age and Martial Arts.

Discussion in 'General' started by peatrova, Jul 15, 2008.

1. peatrova

peatrova New Member

[FONT=&quot]Hi everybody, I am right now 50 years old and I very interested in martial arts. I'm just wondering if there's an age limit to when you start taking martial arts. I'm afraid that when I start too late, I would not be proficient no matter how much I practice. So what do you think the best age to start is? How old were you when you started learning martial arts? Have a nice day.[/FONT]

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm still at it and I'll be 45 this year! It's definitely not too late to start and you can still get quite good, especially if you pick something and specialize in it. The Filipino arts don't have a lot of unnatural moves where you lock out your joints and such so I'd encourage you to go for it!

P.S. I moved this to a new thread so it could get more attention. Welcome to FMATalk!

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I don't think there is such thing as starting too late, it just depends what do you look for in your MA of choice. sure, if you are in it for professional competition...well, you are certainly not gonna go far starting that late, but in any other way I'd say you can reach your goals, in accordance with your potential.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I agree with Arnisador and gagimilo..it is never to late. I am 45 years YOUNG and continue to train & teach. It keeps you in good shape and all the things working that should be working. As we progress in life and the arts we should become softer, it is the natural way. Gone are all the chest puffing and I am stronger than you entities that young men posses. What remains is a refined practitioner who simply understands that less is more and soft is better, not to mention more dangerous. As my daddy always said "Old age and treachery will defeat youth and strength, and if that fails, well, there is always Smith & Wesson"...oh so true.

PG Mike B

5. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I too, am 50. The time to start is now!

6. geezer

geezer Member

Did you say 50??? DAMN that's old. Just grab your walker and hobble the heck off this forum. I suggest you try... CAN YOU HEAR ME? I said try picking up some shuffleboard tips over at the AARP site, you worthless, old...

Oh, wait a minute, I turn 53 this month. Must be getting senile. But seriously, if you think 50 is old, I'll direct you to talk to my 83 year-old Dad who can still out ski me on any expert run in North America. Now pick up your sticks and get crackin'!

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Blah,
    You are all still young.. I'll be 55 this next september and after 30+ yrs of teaching, I have slowed a bit, but can still swing my walking stick.. Kamagong and Bahi walking stick across the knee caps will make it easier for me to get in my wheel chair and motor away. I teach people that are about half my age and some of them are still having time keeping up with the number of abcedario reps we do just to warm up..

8. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

Peatrova,

I started taking Kun Tao and Kali 2 years ago at the age of 48. I have to say that I feel better know than I did 10 years ago. And I plan on continuing until they plant me.

Marty

9. guillermo taboada

guillermo taboada New Member

Hi There,
    I Have A Student Steve Mirman. He Starts At The Ages Of 63, His Been With Me For Almost 8 Years Now. Hoping He Will Be A Qualified Instructor This Coming November 8 At The Balintawak World Camp In Las Vegas Nevada. When He First Started With Me, He Used To Be Like A Post, Very Uncomfortable For Him Mostly The Twisting Of The Body And The Footwork. No Martial Arts At All.it Is My Challenge How To Teach This Kind Of People, For Me, As Long As He Listens My Teaching, He Will Learn. The Most Important Is Patience And A Good Relationship. For More Than Seven Years Teaching Him, I Am Very Happy With His Speed, Reflex, Flexibility And The Movements Of His Body. For Me, Being A Grandmaster Of The Art, I Am Learning More Ability To Teach. It Is A Challenge. Thank You.

10. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander Junior Member

2 things...

I had a student who started at 63.

and

quit yer b***hing and get on with it!

"old age and treachery
    will overcome
    youth and exhuberance"

;)

11. FENOM

FENOM New Member

Like I said in a post "It's never too late to be what you could have become".

12. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I am 58 years young. Last year I took the Grand Master Title at the Midwest stick fighting event known as Sulong. Each year I continue to compete against 20 yr olds and beat them. It is not how old you are- it is how many tricks you have up your sleeve and how many weapons you carry in your bag.
    Buzz

13. Rapier

Rapier RHC

I'll be 50 in Dec dont let age be a barrier.I have seen people start in thier 70's, so go ahead and start you will be glad you did!

14. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I have a student who is 83 and started when he was 75ish.

I myself love training with young men and woman as they keep me young! [​IMG]

15. janifer

janifer New Member

I think it is never too late or old for anything. If we want to succeed in life we should face challenges. Age will not matter. We dont need to regret for what we have not done. We must be happy for what we have done and should do what we need to do now.

16. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Look at it this way...one is never to old to learn how to save your own life. When one trains he takes on this task, along with other measures that help keep you fit and ready. Age has no place...if anything it is a +. When one gets older the superfluous fluff should be gone from you..what remains is solid, simple and nasty methods. To me getting older is a good thing, I don't mind it one bit.. I embrace it!

17. MPC1257

MPC1257 New Member

Getting older sure beats the alternative!

Just getting of the couch and doing any physical activity will help. While you're at it you might as well learn to defend yourself, since in my opinion a punk is more likely to try and target an "older" person.
    I finally started learing a martial art (Kun Tao Dumpag) at 48 and 3 years later I feel better than I did at 38.

Marty

18. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Amen Marty..Amen!...couldn't have said it better myself!

19. Shooter

Shooter New Member

I started training this year at the age of 52. Never too late to start learning. heck I just graduated from college.The next oldest person in my class was 12 years younger than me. Go for it.

20. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I have trained a number of older people in the martial arts and they learn the flows, forms and techniques much faster than the younger students. Where the body is weak, the mind is strong. The younger students are idiots and are willing to sacrifice their bodies to prove it.