Adversity

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Dmitry, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Dear all,
    What is the progression of adversity introduction into training?
    Best regards

2. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

From less to more difficult maybe?

3. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Of course, but adversity is a general notion. It may range from repetitive attacks instead of one-strike attacks to spontaneous attacks, etc.
    I guess non-compliance is a better term to use.
    I was wondering if there is any structured progression with respect to non-compliance.

4. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Well, I guess that non-compliance starts as soon as you start doing sparring, and that is quite soon, maybe even right away with some things. For me, it means the moment when a practitioner has a grasp of what is expected of him, and how to go for it.
    Many people have already stated before, and I adhere to the same guidelines, that it is not WHAT you do as much as HOW you do it (i.e. the importance of attributes behind techniques), and that can only be developed through increased resistance.
    I'll give you an example of how I work it... Depending of what we work on, after getting down the motion, I will limit the available targets in contact practice, and set roles - one person is attacking, the other defending; after that no roles, they both work on seizing the opportunities in attack and defense. Then, I will expand the number of available targets and repeat the procedure. Next, expand the number of available options (eg. allow the clinching or whatever), and run through the same progression... you get the idea.
    Every now and then, just to make people aware of the options they do not reach for very often in regular sparring, we go through slow motion exchanges, as it makes one see the openings, other possible counters, new body movements etc.
    Also, I regularly make people spar left vs. right, just to make sure they have enough exposure to this inter-relation as well.

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Throw in the kitchen sink...pressure test it all....throw a serious chill factor on the lads...make them so damn miserable they can't think right...get rough....make them mad...do what has to be done to up their IQ of preservation. This has to be done, there is no right way or wrong to do it...JUST DO IT! It is up to the teacher to set the moxy level...I always tell my lads that a bit of blood while training is a good thing...it raises the sack-up bar big time.

"These arts we choose are not for the weak or the meek..because they will not inherit a damn thing if they can't wax poetic on the asses of the boogeyman when it all goes bad." ~ Mikael Khalid Ibn Blahgrav

6. Nice post Gagimilo.

I agree that this kind of training must be structured and supervised to a certain degree.

I remember we had a very good German instructor when I was training in LA. We did a lot of punching drills without gloves going in hard. Due to the friction it wasn't long before we were bleeding. He encouraged us to put tape around our wrists and carry on.

After the lesson the chief instructor of the gym came (also a very good instructor) and was quite put out. He told the other instructor that he had to be careful because he was in America now, and people could sue.

We also noticed that several people just quit coming to class whenever this instructor taught. I liked this - less people who were of the same mindset but not good for the school per se.

So, like most things I guess it's the "How, when, why" of application. I also think that it's good to take it to a certain level but not one where you'll not going to be able to train the next session.

A tricky balance for sure, perhaps made easier by small, select groups.

P.S i also saw that instructor pop somebody right on the nose and cause a good deal of blood when a student tried to "punk" him one class. LOL.

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Sue sue sue...the way of the west..damn I hate these candy asses....for these very reasons I become overly selective in who I teach. I can't stand wimpy sue happy bastards...irks me to know damn end. I also loathe soft men...never understood it..for gods sake nut up and grow a set of cajones. Namby Pamby shites!

If it is too rough they should slip on pink skirts and change their name to Nancy

8. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

My father has a saying, that translates roughly something like "some people wanna keep it in and fart at the same time"...

9. Yep, some of them were females that "Opted out".

Danger of having a public school, eh??

(And I do jest Carol before I get mod slapped!!!!)

10. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I know of a few woman who are double tough and don't mind banging..but it is rare...a lot of woman just don't dig getting worked to death, puking and bleeding..lol...I don't see a lot of woman coming to me for lessons...I won't soften it one iota...NOPE...that to me would be unfair to the peopl who really want the reality and repercussions of hard , smart, solid, mean ass training..not for a sport but to have the skills to bring doom on any piece of shite wishing to do them or theirs harm.

Yep...the reason why I don't have a commercial school...when people come to me they go through an indoctrination period...if they can survive that and still come back then I know I have a nice hunk of marble I can start to shape. If they don't ..OH well..Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

11. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Female students

Mike,you want to see my female student Ute.She is hardcore tough.Sticks in there when the going gets hard.
    Bicycles to my Saturday class,a roundtrip journey for her in excess of 20 miles.This in addition to our training.
    I would Love to see some thug thinking that she is a soft female,try and get the upper hand with her.Now this would be entertaining.

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

That would'nt be Ute Buaer (SP?) would it, I had a female student called Ute when I was up in Yorkshire and she was pretty hard core too... Unless it is the same Gal that is, then I know what you mean.

Best regards

Pat

13. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Yeah Pat,same lady.Ok,so you have to take responsibility for the 'brutalising' of Ute,lol.
    Thanks by the way for the recommend.She is a real asset to the class.

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

:whip1::whip1: Yep that was me, she is on one of my clips on You Tube where we were filming Rees at the age of 7 sparring in class, you can see her in tha background sparring the fellas with a padded stick, I say sparring, but more like giving them a dam good thrashing hehehe! Great girl and a real asset to any class and as she was moving to your location who better to play with than you Bro ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ3a2XHYJv8&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZSxwTPUHiw&feature=channel