Action-Flex

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by Christopher Umbs, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Christopher Umbs

Christopher Umbs New Member

Does anyone here have experience with Action Flex weapons? http://www.actionflex.com/

I'm trying to decide if I want to enter my students in a tournament that's using them. If they are overly flexable, I likely won't. Idealy, they would be able to parry a full two-handed cut without the cut blowing through the parry.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

They are very wippy. I prefer smak-stiks.

3. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

They are very flexible. Not "twisty" type, but they have a definite flex to them..sorta like a fly rod 'whippy'.

The Smak Stiks are stiffer, and a little thinner. Bit closer to 'rattan' size.

4. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Solid blocks with them allow the opponents weapon if Action Flex to wrap around the stick and possible create the sound of contact. If it is point and people are not paying attention, it could be helpful.

Personally, I would use something else, and take my chances of checking out my own skills.

5. Christopher Umbs

Christopher Umbs New Member

Yeah... that was my fear. As a trad fencer, I'm used to using metal even in tournaments so I'm never that happy with 'pool noodles'. The Smak-sticks are the best padded weapons I've used so far though.

Chris

6. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Smak-stiks are in the process of making prototype swords for me. Hopefully when I get back from Sweden they will be ready!

:bow:

7. sames

sames New Member

Sweet! Please let us know how that experiment works out.

8. hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead New Member

I just ordered some Smak Stiks from Tim. I'll get them next week, hand them out to the lads and let them give you all a report.

Got two adult ones, two kid ones.

Regards,

Steve

9. JPR

JPR New Member

Oh boy! I am assuming I am one of the "lads"! Bring on the SMAK-Stiks and let the beatings begin!

JPR

10. Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if the proto type sword smak stiks has been made and tested as of today... I'm very interested in buying some if they do!

thanks!

Capt. Jack

11. WT_ATL

WT_ATL Member Supporting Member

As it stands, we have a couple of 40 inch swords out for evaluation. Up to now, we've gotten some really great feedback. Hopefully we will be launching the swords in the upcoming weeks.

If you in the area, I suggest droppng by Tim Hartman's school, he has one of the prototypes.

On a side note, we have a 36 inch sword that is going to be tested in an upcoming WEKAF seminar on the 21 of this month: http://www.smakstiks.com/events.php

If things go well, we may add this to our product offerings.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Oh good--I'll check it out at the Camp next week!

13. WT_ATL

WT_ATL Member Supporting Member

Just heard back from Tom Sipin who is the US Director of WEKAF. He states that the SMAK-Stiks were a great success this past weekend. The new 36 inch swords were very well accepted, his exact words were, "they definitly pack a wallup".

Based on the testing, he has decided to move forward in using the SMAK-Stiks during the Invitationals following the WEKAF World Championships.

I'm hoping to get some video of this past Saturday's event on the website.

14. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

Thats great new Winston! Still looking forward to seeing the swords at some point =)

Gruhn

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Everyone who tried the sword prototype this weekend liked it. We compared it side-by-side to another padded sword and thought that the SMAK-Stiks one was noticeably better. It is lighter, for one thing, and "moves like a sword" rather than like a stick. Of course, nothing is quite like the real thing, but this is certainly an improvement.

I understand the design is still being worked on. If so, I hope the new version is at Mr. Hartman's by the time I return there in mid-to-late August!