ACL Repair.

Discussion in 'The Den' started by arnisador, Mar 26, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I injured my knee at martial arts class two weeks ago when my body was thrown but my foot stayed planted. I spent today in Indianapolis meeting with the orthopedic surgeon and his staff.

The news from the MRI and physical exam wasn't good. I need a total ACL reconstruction--I have no ACL left in the right knee (and a meniscus tear too). There'll be no working out for me for 6-12 months.

I haven't scheduled the date for the surgery yet, but I'm pretty depressed about it. It's clear that I need the procedure to keep from further injury and bad arthritis, but being laid up for up to 6 weeks and hobbled for many months thereafter isn't an encouraging thought.

2. tellner

tellner New Member

Been there. Done that. Bought the forearm crutches.

Back when I had it done they took out the medial meniscus and used a piece of hamstring to reconstruct the ACL. You will be on light duty for several months. It will suck. Your leg will be a little atrophied. Don't worry. The muscle will come back.

The good news is that with a little luck and a lot of work you will be able to pick up your training again and do everything that you used to. Just follow their directions religiously. Don't push yourself any further than your doctor and the PT people tell you. Even if it feels fine you have to wait for things to heal. Otherwise it's back to a few steps before square one.

You will find out the PT and ROM do not stand for "Physical Therapy" and "Range of Motion". They are short for "Physical Torture" and "ROMulan interrogation techniques" :)

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for the inside view and encouragement. I've heard that the rehab. is actually the worst of it. As long as I can walk short distances I can do my job (teaching) so that's OK.

I expect to use donor tissue and have my medial meniscus tear repaired while they're in there. Still trying to set the date.

4. pguinto

pguinto New Member

theres an eskrima teacher who broke his back and yet still teaches from a stool. i forget his name but ive seen his clips on youtube, i believe he was one of ggm angel cabales' students

i also saw a recent show on science channel, where they showed peeps with rebuilt legs, metal bones and even a metal kneecap, and supposedly their limbs are stronger than ever before. if i remember the name of the program, i'll get back to you on that. i believe a metal kneecap would do much more damage to an opponent

5. tellner

tellner New Member

An interesting effect of the leg brace, especially during the no-weight period, is that you will get used to using just one leg. Your sense of balance will change, and your ability to hop stably will increase dramatically. Great for Frog Style!

Seriously, in the end it will improve your balance.

6. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Arni,

I will talk to those I know who have had this surgery and get with you off line about their feedback of the mistakes they made in rehab and or training afterwards.

I am sorry to hear about the injury.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! It sounds like the rehab is the worst of it from all I've heard. But, I'm surprised by how many people have had it.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm finally getting this done tomorrow. A short outpatient procedure (though with general anaesthesia) followed by a lengthy recovery! Someday I'm sure the other knee will need to be done too.

9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

You know I have had two students undergo this surgery and one was running in six months the other was back to full training in six months and now that knee is stronger than ever. You will do great just do the rehab well and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck! [​IMG]

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's encouraging! They did me yesterday afternoon and say I'll be on my feet even sooner than expected because of how they handles the medial meniscus once they actually got in there. I start rehab exercises on-my-own as soon as the nerve blocks wear off this afternoon.

11. franko808

franko808 New Member

Glads that things went well for you...BEST OF LUCK!!...you'll will be back to 110% in no time.....

12. Brian R. VanCise

Great! Remember slow and steady wins the race! [​IMG]

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Doing very well at my three-day check-up today...rehab formally starts next week! Thanks for the good wishes!

14. Brian R. VanCise

Hang in there you will be back to normal in know time. [​IMG]

15. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hi Arnisador, I'm sorry to hear about this. How's the rehab going?

I can't imagine 6 months without being able to work out.. Last March I finished a month without training after 2 consecutive sprains on the same foot and a shoulder subluxation and it really wasn't very nice. Talk about Murphy's law, and that was just A MONTH! (plus another 2 months of strength rehab for my shoulder).

You know what kept me from going insane? Reading back on my training notes. I document my training sessions because I've always been into writing journals since I was a little girl. I found that reading back makes me see things from a different perspective and sometimes I'm able to understand something I didn't quite get before, or I suddenly remember something I had long forgotten.

Anyway I hope this helps. If you don't keep notes it's never too late to start. All the best to you.

16. Shonin

Shonin New Member

It always looks pretty dark at the beginning. Almost 40 years ago now I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have fought it all my life. Desite it all,I ended up being highly ranked in several martial arts, and still actively teach physical skills at a government facility. Don't mean to preach at all, but one can always work out. Back in the beginning when I was studying karate and the RA first hit I was nearly crippled for 3 years. Couldn't bend my legs, or stand on them, and so began by doing Sanchin on crutches.

Somewhere along the way my left wrist became inflamed and I began doing one handed bokken cuts with my right. Then the left one got better and I had to do the same thing with my left until my right healed. Practiced seated yoga because I could stand. This left me with a very strong core, and flat abs. (Still have them too:) And so it goes.

Still chronic with the RA, and my left knee is shot, but my point is not that I'm something special (which I'm not) only that to stave of the inevitable depression that we workout junkies get, I remember some very good advice I once received from a great instructor. He said "Every day you train you get to call yourself a martial artist, every day you don't, you don't get to call yourself one." Some of the best advice I ever got. (Also, on a slightly different note he once told me that training one day is like putting a dollar in the bank, and not training is like taking a dollar out. If you only train every other day, you're pretty much broke in terms of ability.)

I know only too well what you're going through, and have no doubt you'll be better after all this. You'll get so good doing seated knife disarms that once you get back on your knee you'll be amazed.

(BTW, just got back from doing hill repeats with the Mountain Bike Unit. Kids today, all they can do is complain about how hot it is. LoL)

Get well soon.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've been reading martial arts books and have been attending (just watching) a Dekiti Tirsia Siradas camp this weekend. It's something...but today I was shown a great technique, and couldn't try it out because it used all knee! It's somewhat frustrating in that way.

Heh, precisely that was suggested to me at the camp today!

Anyway, PT is going well for me and I am not making heavy use of the cane anymore, though I still use it for some things. I mostly need to be able to bend it backward further--my extension is good. But it'll be at least a month before I have my surgeon's clearance to do anything physical.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I was checked out today and the surgeon was very pleased. I'm well ahead of the plan in terms of flexibility and strength (both of which I attribute to the martial arts). I've started getting some clicks in the knee but they say that's probably a transitional thing as the swelling continues to go down and scar tissue continues to break down within it, though because of the removal of part of the meniscus some of it may be here to stay too.

Overall, I'm quite pleased--and glad I had it done!

19. pguinto

pguinto New Member

i was in major pain yesterday, couldnt move, couldnt shift my weight to get comfortable, and mos def could not walk at all. taking vicodin knocked me out most of the day. but the pain returned upon waking and i had an accident when i couldnt make it to the "comport room", trying to hop on my good leg was an absolute no no and i almost feinted trying to get there.

when it was time to go to the clinic. i was in so much pain i couldnt get up from the couch. i didnt wanna goto the clinic medicated but i had no choice, had to take vicodin to lessen the pain so that i could make there.

taking xrays was no walk in the park. the radiologist let me take my time to get into the positions needed. he didnt wanna move my leg due to the all the pain and let me do it on my own at my pace.

the doc looked at the xrays, grabbed my leg and did some push/pull thing causing me to grunt heavily. at that moment he said that i tore a ligament, quite possibly the ACL, and gave me the name of an orthopaedic surgeon.

for the meantime, he prescribed vicodin, ibuprofin (800mg), and acetominophen. my leg was wrapped and i was given crutches.

being in quite a bit of pain in the morning, i popped 2 vicodin and a valium, by 2 in the afternoon my knee (and for some reason my foot as well) was swollen tho not painful it still ached, i decided to take 800mg of ibuprofin to switch the meds up. by the evening i was able to move around comfortably. its been 9 hours since taking medication but sitting here typing could feel the knee starting to throb so im probly gonna pop a pill and go back to sleep.

oh and i now have a pitcher next to me to act as a bedpan, lol :)

when i see the surgeon i'll give an update, probly have to wait until after the holiday... :(

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, I had that pre-op and again yesterday. (I thought the surgeon called it a "Baker effect" but may have misheard him.) Sorry to hear about your pain. Sounds like surgery is in your future; as I say, mine was a breeze, and I hate medical stuff. I hope you have good luck!