Accuracy Training

Discussion in 'General' started by eskrimakaliarnis.com, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Hey All,

Was just wondering what kind of things you all do for training accuracy with a stick. Hope to pick up some tips and different ideas.

Thanks,

Simon.

2. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Attach a softball (beginner) or a baseball (advanced) to the end of a fairly long stick (broomstick)
    Training partner quick jabs the ball end forward and back in random places
    Your goal is to hit the ball -- with solid strikes (not quicky whimpy ones).

Think your Abaniko accuracy is good? Think again...
    Getting good with single hits? Then try getting multiple (double/triple) hits with each jab.

3. I saw something in an old Jet Li movie which I thought would be great for this. He's on a rooftop and there's a rigged area surrounded by different sized balls on elastic type material at different heights. His partner let him have it with different balls (like your example) and he had to make it from one end to the next. I can't remember which movie it was though...:(

I guess "Hitting people" is the ultimate training device. Besides improving your accuracy you need to understand the dynamics of the strikes (i.e the angle it will travel through / what the arm / shoulder is doing, etc, etc) to genuinely hit the target.

However, I'm just asking about "Solo" practice really. I'm just wondering if this is part of most people's training...

4. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I attached three small pieces of sponge on a string of thin rope and let it hang from the ceiling. Then I hit those sponge pieces in a free flow manner, or in a prescribed order...this trick is I don;t wait for the rope to stop swinging, and it does get some motion, since the bottom end is not fixed. Indoors, I usually concentrate on retracting strikes, but outdoors I use the slash-through ones just as much.

5. An interesting design gagimilo!

Sounds like my rig but with marbles in stockings instead of sponge.

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I usually go out in the back with the trees..find a low branch with some leaves and practice touching each leaf..with prakyson and fluid...slow at first then in rapid succesion...when the leaf falls off find another..a cheap way indeed. I also purchase the halloween Lone Ranger type masks..(49cents)....hang them..and work on touching the eye holes with weaponry and empty hands (finger jabs etc.).............cheap easy ways to work on accuracy

7. Thanks Mike,

I like the mask idea. Before I had drawn a face on a wall with chalk and stab for the eye sized circle. Those half-body dummy boxing type things seem a waste of money to me. And they don't move either!

I guess with a lot of Martial arts imagination comes in to play but it's cool when you have something to give you feedback - like hopelessly missing the target even when it's stationary...

keep 'em coming!

8. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

We don't have a lot of room equipment so we hit the tip of the rattan sticks for accuracy. In drills and sparring type drills.

Also, has someboy mentioned thick rope training before with sticks? My Punong Guro mentioned it last night and not sure what he meant.

9. pguinto

pguinto New Member

For solo training, attach softballs to both ends of a shorter stick and hang the rig from the ceiling with rope. Start by hanging the stick from the middle to get the feel, then try it off center. Be sure to duck from time to time, LOLZ. You can also try stacking multiple sticks on the same rope or rig the sticks with swivels.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. Yes, I think something that spins is great. Presents you with a moving target and also can hit you. Excellent!

Phil, we do the same with the "De cuerdas" device (the 2 48" staffs connected by string). As it spins round you can try and hit the ends of the staff. very tricky.

11. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Using a ball, as a opposed to a naked stick, has its purpose:

1. there is a tendency to hit the stick just about anywhere, whereas the ball becomes the focal point;
    2. you can immediately tell the difference between hitting the ball (primary target) or the stick (secondary target)
    3. a league ball is roughly the size of a balled fist, a bent elbow, the deltoid, a knee cap, heel or ball of the foot, or ankle, (and even the bayag area, unless a peanut shell is used for a cup)

12. Yep, all good points.

Try a marble though, harder to hit and makes a nice sound when you do :)

Takes a bit of practice though. Like Phil's example, the end of a spinning stick is about the same size too.

13. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I forgot to explain why I use sponge...see, i use this type of training in my apartment, so every now and then one of those pieces hits something else in the room. However, the sponge simply bounces off, without breaking anything, hence saving my ass from conflicts with my wife ;-)
    Regarding hitting the tip of the stick - I do that sometimes with my training partners, as a reaction drill. The feeder starts off in a neutral position, without presenting the target, but then they put it somewhere in space so that you have to use an appropriate strike. You can either do it in a prearranged pattern of angles, or go random...

14. Ryno

Ryno New Member

We've got a bunch of somewhat firm foam balls that we throw at each other. We play lots of silly little games. Power striking only, shielding block only, abanicos, defend and area like a goalie using whatever, etc.

15. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

Well,
    Besides a live target, here are a few things I’ve done for accuracy (hand-eye coordination) training in the past….

I created a stick dummy out of a 4 x 4 post that was cut into two sections with spring loaded chair swivels. Holes were drilled at various position and angles along its length where I could insert sticks giving me multiple targets to strike at. Striking a stick would cause the dummy to pivot and then swing back. Later I added hanging targets from each of the sticks on the dummy. I would take a tennis ball and punch a hole through opposite ends and run a rope through it and knot it. The other end would be tied to one of the sticks. Then I took electrical tape and wrapped them up so the tennis ball wouldn’t eventually get ripped off the rope. Start moving around the dummy and strike at a hanging targets. A hit would swing the dummy getting all the targets moving. The goal was to be able to use your footwork to move around the target and be able to hit moving targets while you are ranging in and out. It’s very effective.

Another thing for hand/eye coordination is to get a racket ball or tennis ball and go into an enclosed space and start hitting the ball around. Try to keep it moving like you would in racket ball. It’s hard at first but you’ll be amazed at how good you can get at hitting a small fast moving target with a rattan stick.

As has been mentioned already, hitting branches and leaves on three while running around in the woods works as does hanging strands of rope and other targets.

When I was training with john Daniels his uncle Terry Blackeagle would come over some times and work with us. We would use a long stick/Staff with a large block of wood attached to it. The holder would move it around varying the angles and heights as well as thrusting at you. We would use single and double sticks to strike at the moving target. More fun was using live blades to attack the target. Single blade, double blade, as well as utilizing different grips in slashing and thrusting attacks and counter strikes. He also had a staff with a ball on the end that we would work the same thing on. Great at working your footwork, hand/eye coordination, and reaction timing and reflexes. Funny this came up because I was actually watching an old tape of us doing this last night. I was able to get some stills out of it that I’m going to throw up on my web page one of these days.

William

16. William

William Mongrel Combative Arts

Oh yeah,

Related,

One of my instructors would make us face a wall with our backs to him. He would then turn on a bright light behind us so that we could see our shadows on the wall. Then he'd start hucking tennis balls at us. Didn't help with accuracy, but it did really help your reaction time as well as your ability to quickly acertain threats with your peripheral vision and move accordingly.

Ah, fun, fun, fun.

William