A true stick art

Discussion in 'General' started by Shaun, Apr 3, 2010.

1. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Whats in a name...sure it's okay if you dig the history parts and the cultural parts of what we do etc ( I have a library on history of warfare, Filipino history and culture books..Eskrima, Arnis publications etc..it seems everyone has something different to call the same old thing)...but I do not let that flip the script and take presedenceover practical and tactical methods.....it's like fishing stories..they always get bigger and better, and their down right fun....but never get your abilities twisted..keep it clean and simple...

2. Shaun

Shaun New Member

True words. For me, I am only as good (or bad) as my last training session.

3. Raul

Raul Mananandata

No I'm not tired nor grumpy.:schild24: Stop whining, we're not arguing about names either, he has none if you notice.
    The good thing about this thread is that Shawn is so proud of his art as a stick art. That is SO rare.

4. Huh?!

My name is Simon, and I like to do live stick sparring ;)

Heh heh. You Raul apparently do not ;)

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Yep, that is one of the best things to look at.. There are always going to be the occassional bad day when we get our keesters handed to us on a stick when someone else has a day where everything goes right.. It pays to keep on top of your game irregardless if it is with a blade, stick or empty hand.. The walking stick is more politically correct in certain work environments than walking around with a 14 inch bowie knife with the name of terminator stamped on the blade.. That will be a big day for the prosecuting attorney and cops who arrest you if you have to use it..

6. geezer

geezer Member

Well my excuse is that I'm sleepy (it's Sunday morning as I write this), but your comment went right over my head. I can't tell if you're being serious, sarcastic, or humorous. What's disturbing is that I seem to have this problem a lot lately, so don't take it personally! Anyway, I think that there are a lot more people out there focusing on stick-fighting than Shaun and the Lighting Arnis guys. Arnisador said that Modern Arnis has a strong stick-fighting orientation too. And, the Balintawak I've seen demonstrated locally by Sam Buot sure seems like a stick art... they certainly grab each other's sticks in a way that doesn't look like it would be so good for blade training. And even a lot of those arts that train both stick and blade spend a lot more time with stick-work. My experience in Latosa Eskrima was like that. Blade work was reserved for very advanced training. The DTE system I study now is more blade based, but I personally favor the aspects that apply to stick, improvised weapons, and empty hands. Honestly, real blade work requires a particular mind-set and level of commitment that isn't all that common. People talk a lot about knife and sword... it's part of the cultural history and mythology of both Asian and European traditions. But, in the part of the modern world I live in, if you do use a blade to defend yourself, there will be a lot of questions asked, and even if you have the right answers, you will likely go through a long and difficult ordeal. I'd say Bill's absolutely right on that. So I guess what I'm saying is that you can count me more or less in with the stick crowd. --Steve

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Geezer I'm with you on this...in SEAMOK (my Frankenstein) we are stick heavy as well, why? Because it is practical and tactical. When I go for my walks (yes age is to the piint where walking trumps running) or when I have the wife and kids at the park you can bet your butt I have a nice 24" asp in a lower back rig or canted in my cargo pocket along side a folder in my right pocket. Is an asp a stick? yes..it sure is. Blade art, stick art, empty hand art yada yada yada...just shut up and train....in the end it all comes out in the wash. If anyone doesn't think a man can pick up a sword and swing like a stick or vice versa and doesn't believe it will do max damage, well then I'd have to say "Get your rose colored glasses adjusted"....it's all semantics...live life, have fun in your work, be a good person and follow your gut..your training will come through in crunch time. This constant bickering about trivial BS grows tiring and does ore to shove a wdge than to build a bridge. At the end of the day it's up to you and you alone to get your work in...and for those of us who have been in the games for ever and a day, we will definitely see and feel whether or not you put your work in....peace

More boobs, less bull shite

8. Paul

Paul New Member

Well I'd come along to this discussion after Shaun asked me to take a look only to find PG Michael B has killed it flat. With neither a stick or blade, well done that man!! :)

9. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Guro Dan was talking about this last weekend when he taught some Balintawak material that he had been working on lately. According to him, one of his senior students called him up and gave him a bit of hell about training and teaching that method. Their premise was that people would lose the focus on the blade of he taught a bunch of stuff that was only applicable to the stick and that they might mistake blade work for stick work and vice-versa. I thought his response was pretty solid. "When someone who has been playing basketball goes and picks up a football you don't see them try to dribble it down the field do you? You don't see someone at the dinner table try to spear food with a spoon or drink soup with a fork do you? Of course you can alter your technique based on having a different implement in your hand, we do it all the time. Why would transitioning from stick to blade be any different?"

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I love how he uses sports analogies. No ki power here--just solid athletic training knowledge.

11. Paul

Paul New Member

When I train with Shaun, at some point he would say "this is really a blade technique" showing that whilst LSAI is primarily a stick art it's not exclusively a stick art,we do have other bladed techniques in there, and we are aware of the difference and applications, so my question is this:-

Are those bladed systems aware that some of their techniques are not as suitable for the stick, and I think generally it's the stopping power of an LSAI strike or hit,slicing and dicing definitely hurts like hell with a stick but I'm probably going to live through it, getting walloped with a blade is going to get the job done.

This may sound like an oversimplfication but you can hit with a blade but you can't cut with a stick, and that is for me the difference in which way around you translate your systems.

Cheers
    Paul

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Paul it is same/same with me...swing a number 1 with a stick and then with a machete..either way your gonna wreck who ever it hits...so the entire argument of what is a stick art and what is a blade art to me is a moot point..my goal is just to hit hit and hit...no matter if Im packing a stick or a garden hose..lol...i'm gonna hit the bad man until he no longer poses a threat or at least till the white meat shows....

13. Paul

Paul New Member

I remember talking about this sort of thing with a friend many years ago whilst he was a student of Brian Jones, and he said that occasionally Brian would come along with a bag full of household items such as a potato masher or a garden fork etc etc..... Then made his students use them, getting them to use their skills with whatever was laying around, very useful training that.:EvilGrin:

At the end of the day it's horses for courses with a healthy dose of awareness thrown in.