A question about Tim Hartman

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by The Game, Dec 23, 2006.

1. The Game

The Game Pain

I know Tim's on here, so hope he doesn't mind my asking this.

I've been slumming on some other boards for a while. I noticed something interesting though.

Seems some people love him, some are in the middle, and a few people seem to really really hate him. I mean, the type of hate that really eats at ones soul. I even found a site where a few guys write songs and poems about him, and almost every post is a grade school level comment bordering on obsession and I'm not talking the perfume here. Real mental illness type stuff, like, guys in white coats and "they're coming to take me away haha" level crazy.

Hartmans wikipedia page had a defacement war on it a while ago, same guys and he's been lambasted over and over again, on the mtc, here, bullshido, and a few other places.

I really don't understand it.

So, I have to ask, what's he done to deserve this?

I've watched some clips of him on Youtube and over on MartialTalk. He isn't superman, but he doesn't move bad. I mean, he's not swinging his stick like an orchestra conductor, or waving it around like Merlin the magician like many FMA clips seem to do.

Speaking of clips, the couple of guys who seem to spend so much of their lives obsessing and going on and on and on about him, I couldn't find any video of them. Nothing. Couple of them are supposed to be something special too in the seminar world, but couldn't find any clips. Then again, I've also noticed that most of them have been banned from here or MartialTalk. Probably says something for their character.

So, why is it that you can't find any clips of these guys?

By the way, I saw a reference to "sock puppet" in a few threads. What that?

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Was Datu Hartman the Professor's highest ranking American student at the time of his passing?

If so, would that not lead to jealosy and distorted expectations?

I've only spent a small amount of time on the mat with Datu Hartman, but after training with him and his senior students (Guro Jeff and Guro Sal) I was totally hooked.

After I took a private lesson from hDaty Hartman, he even helped me find a school by evaluating what was nearby. All this from a fellow that knows I live too far away from him to train under him.

Can't speak for eveyrone else, but to me he's been a helluva mentor and instructor, and I'm very much looking forward to my next opportunity to train with him again. The 8 hour commute each way will be worth it.

3. Carol

Has nothing to do with Modern Arnis or Martial Arts. Its an term grown borne of internet discussion boards to mean one person that assumes more than one posting identity. It's generally not good netiquette.

4. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

Tim does things, he gets noticed, he's successful.
    Envious nobodies prefer to try and tear down people like that, rather than to build themselves up by doing great works.
    Such is the way of the world.

Just remember, nobody has ever built a monument to a critic.

5. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

crossposted from MT.

Someone once told me that Tim was like a Black Widow spider, he sucks you dry then discards your used up carcass. If I had a few more clients using me up like Tim, I'd have a car with a long funny name in my driveway. :) He's put me in contact with more people than I can keep track of, and been a solid supporter and friend for years, even when we haven't seen eye to eye at times. We wouldn't have MT, KenpoTalk, FMATalk or the WNYMA site without him. Wouldn't have had the M&G's, and I wouldn't have met so many great people over the years. So, yeah, I think he gets a bum rap from a few folks.

Tim's out there, doing things. Makes one a target for those who don't. Like Frank said, alot of emotions ran hot right after Remy's passing. Today, most folks are moving forward and continuing to promote Remy's dream and art and taking it forward, each in their own way. Guys like Tim, Kelly Worden, and other "big names" will always have their share of detractors. It's part of the game, y'know? The couple of folks who are stuck in the past? Well, like was said, you don't see videos of them, articles on them, many if any seminars by them, etc. So, take the criticisms with a few grains of salt. Tim's persistent, aggressive, and out there doing things. That rubs some folks the wrong way. It happens. I've chosen to ignore the disgruntled negative types, and train with positive good people. Tim's one of them. Makes for a more fun time, y'know?

The nobody critic is a common type on forums. I just ignore them as their command of the facts is usually lacking at best.

As to "Sock Puppets", it's a Wikipedia/Usenet term:

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm biased, but to my mind, jealousy about covers it. People who haven't been able to do what he's done have tried to pull him down when they've failed at pulling themselves up.

7. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Yup. Bout it.

8. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

The Game

the only way you will really know about Tim Hartman is to train with him.he has a summer camp which is advertised and meet and greets as well.dont listen to what others say about him meet the guy yourself and draw your own conclusions.

9. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

In regards to Tim Hartman...

In my interactions with Tim, he has been nothing but cordial, light-hearted and fair.

The Filipino martial heritage is highly politically charged and it is fair to say that Tim handles himself pretty diplomatically for the environment. I am not so sure I could do the same.

I have in fact noticed some with an axe to grind with Tim. While unfortunate, it is their perogative. It then falls to each individual to make their own sound judgement. All things with a grain of salt...

Remember that martial arts in this day and age are really not designed to duel other law-abiding citizens, martial artists or not. They are designed to protect you and your loved ones. Political attacks and petty disputes over rank are for the school yard.

Regards,

Jack A. Latorre

10. The Game

The Game Pain

I figure I'll run into him eventually and see for myself. I've had a few people mention his name and I enjoyed the videos over on the MTC and did some reading up so, had to ask.

The couple of people who have said the most seem to do little else. No videos, no interviews, few if any photos. They don't seem to own schools or teach out of one. Really looks like childish sour grapes to me. The comments really are the maturity level of grade school yards. Seems to be the same 4 guys too, everywhere I go though they use alot of different handles. Sad when one realizes that many of these "children" are over 40. I really haven't found anyone important who's dissing him, so, it's a big grain of salt eh? lol.

11. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

Tim's got his detractors like anyone else in the public eye doing things. Look at a few simple facts on the man.
    - Full time FMA school owner.
    - Large successful school, one of the top 10 largest in the WNY area.
    - Does 20+ seminars/events per year
    - Teaches all over the US, Canada and in Europe.
    - Runs one of the main Modern Arnis organizations in the world, 41 member schools according to the organization site.

So, who are these detractors again?

12. Enoch

Enoch New Member

I had the honor of attending a seminar With Datu Hartman & Guro Parsons a few years ago in Warren, MI. It was a benefit for a young girl named Marissa Marks. Both Datu & Mr. Parsons taught an excellent seminar for FREE, giving all the proceeds to her family. That to me, says alot about their character. I have nothing but the utmost respect for both of them...
    If you ever have the chance to train with Datu, I highly recommend it.
    Just wanted to share.

Peace

13. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Enoch,

Thank you for your kind words. I just wish more could have been done in the long run.

Peace

14. MSTCND

MSTCND New Member

That about hits the nail smack dab on the head...

When you're "on point"... your more likely to take a hit or two (or 20)... than if you're back in the rank and file...

It's been my pleasure to train and break bread with Mr. Hartman on two occassions in the past three years or so... and I've ALWAYS enjoyed both...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

P.S. Hey, Datu! "Reservations for Hartman... party of five???" :biggrinbo

15. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Let me put it this way:

Tim Hartman is a worthless piece of crap and a horrible person and his arnis sucks and he's got a bad haircut, and he always gets the cart with th squeakywheel when he goes to the supermarket to annoy the heck out of me as walks down the asile, and he smokes pot, and eats stale Cheetos, and wait I'll think of more...

Look at all the crap I can say without even knowing the man, and it's real easy 'cause I have a computer and a right to free speach and whatever else I'd want to hide behind if I really meant any of that stuff I said above. Then lets take this a little further and say I seriously posted something like that and Mr. Hartman responded to it, and then I could say something childish like "MAKE ME!!" and he'd say something to that and then I go on with a "Triple-dog-MAKE ME!!" and then get banned and then badmouth him and this group elsewhere all in a pathetic effort to draw attention to myself. I'm all for defending an art or artist that I care about, but to cut someone or something down because you precieve them to be better that you, or you think that they think they're better than you is childish, and it annoys the heck out of me.

16. The Game

The Game Pain

Dis iz why dey fear heem! (Say it like Ah-Nuld!) ROFL!

Sounds like sour grapes from local nobodies who can't "hang" with the big boys on their own merits. The whole "Hey, I suck, so who here is a success? Hey, he is! I bet my lame ass would look so much cooler if I talk smack about him. It's alot easier than actually being good myself. I'm a L33t A4n1z Z7ud! W00t!". Whadevauh!

Ok, back to training while the losers go back to camp and sing songs, dream schemes and soak in their suckytude. BooYah!

17. Carol

Tim Hartman doesn't have a lock on success with Modern Arnis.

There are other professors that have also had successes in their own right and contribute to Modern Arnis in the FMAs in their own way. That the other teachers are NOT Datu Hartman or WMAA doesn't mean they suck.

Martial Arts instructors are not all things to all people. Each instructor has different things to contribute, different talents, and different perceived benefits in the eyes of students. Each student has the right to adjust their path as they see fit.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There's lots of great Modern Arnis out there. The IMAF-Schea group, the DAV, Dan Anderson, MARPPIO, the IMAFP, and others...I wish I had time to visit with them all! I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. It's just that one particular person was asked about here.

19. Carol

All good. :)

20. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Righty-o! You can replace Mr. Hartman's name with any other successful instructor, Modern Arnis or otherwise, and somewhere along the line, someone has taken a shot at them to draw attention to themselves. (Heck even I've been targeted this way, and I'm a "nobody".) I was just pointing out #1 how childish it is, and #2 that's the biggest reason there's a lot of trash-talking and such aimed at Mr. Hartman.