A good terminology reference book?

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by johnmarkpainter, Jul 2, 2008.

1. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter New Member

I have trained in a JKD offshoot from Larry hartsell lineage....

I have my notes that are incomplete, misspelled, and not very organized.
    I wrote things down without detail thinking that I would always remember it later (oops!). I'm trying to get them cleaned up and corrected.

Can anyone recommend a good book or even a website that has a good glossary of the FMA terms (drills, Techniques etc)?
    The La Coste - Inosanto terms match up to what I was taught.

Thanks,
    jmp

2. Epa

Epa Member

I've never seen a comprehensive reference for Guro Dan's blend because he draws terminology from a lot of different systems. This includes terms from multiple dialects for the same technique or concept. For instance, a fanning strike could be an abanico (tagalog), lawin (Bisayan), or witik (Ilongo). Those are from my notes so I may have mixed up the dialects, but that gives you an idea of how confusing it can get.

I didn't train weapons with SiFu Hartsell, but I know he trained in both Guro Dan's system and Edgar Sulite's Lameco system. If SiFu Hartsell used the Lameco terminology you could ask the question on the Lameco forum. Guro Dave Gould posts on this forum and he actually trained SiFu Hartsell in Lameco for awhile so he might have some input.

If you post some specific terms you're unsure about I could try to help you. Good luck.

3. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

Hey John- PM me an email addy and I can send you some docs.

4. CincoTeros

CincoTeros New Member

I agree with Epa. Because the Philippines have many different dialects and different FMA systems (and different names to similiar drills/strikes) maybe focusing more on the technique and less on what it's called maybe a better way to remember angles, flow drills, etc. Ex. siniwali in the Inosanto/Lacoste Blend is called redondo in another art which is something else in the Inosanto/Blend. Just my opinion....

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Check the Glossaries in the General section here. That may be of some help.

6. johnmarkpainter

I picked up the Ron Balicki Kali Video series.
    It is well structured and as he demonstrates Techniques the terms are WRITTEN on screen.

And yes, with all of the dialects and systems it gets crazy but in my case it makes the most sense to get a good hold on Guro Dan's terms as that is what I am most likely to run into in my training.

THANKS!
    jmp

7. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Try this glossary: http://www.fmadatabase.com/Glossary/index.html

It's useful insofar as you can pick and choose between several languages.

Best,

Steve

8. johnmarkpainter

Thanks for that link.

Also, I didn't mean to say "Ron Balicki Kali" video...it was the Rick Tucci Kali video.

jmp

9. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Aha! That's why I couldn't figure out what Balicki videos you were talking about. One of these days I'm gonna' get around to picking up the Tucci videos as well.

10. tfo23

tfo23 New Member

Terminology is tough!

I practice Insoanto Kali, and keeping up with the vocabulary is so tricky. The problem with the Filipino arts is the fact that there are so many complete with their own terms in different languages to include Spanish and the 178 dialects of Tagalog.

For me the Spanish terminology is easy to follow and seems like that would be the easiest bridge across the cultural and linguistic gap between western practitioners and the myriad of terms.

Further more, if I see a technique performed in another system, it generally resembles on that I am already familiar with therefore I just focus on the movement and concept. To put it simply, an Abenico by any other name will still hurt like hell.

Salamat.

-Jerry

11. silat1

silat1 Active Member

FYI, there are not 178 dialects of tagalog,Tagalog is the national language of the Philippines.
    .. The provinces and regions have their own dialect, sometimes this will even change from town to town.. There was a general belief in communicating with the different dialects of the Philippines.. The way it went is, the individuals would try to talk in their regional dialect, if that wasn't possible, they would revert to tagalog and if that didn't work, they would revert to english.. You have to remember that the Philippines is the 2nd largest American english speaking country in the world.. English is a common language that is taught in the schools outside of Tagalog,

12. David Thompson

David Thompson New Member

enourmous glossary

www.fcskali.com this glossary is huge. It was put together by Ray Dionaldo.

13. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

Guro Balicki has some great Kali dvds out! You can order them through century martial arts.