9/20/09 DB Open Gathering Vid-clip

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Nice stuff. Who is that lady who is schooling everyone with the blade? She is hell on wheels!

3. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

That is Linda "Bitch" Matsumi. More later.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's a large group of FMAers for me to not recognize any of them (as people I've met in person, I mean)!

5. bluesbassist

bluesbassist New Member

That was a fun and inspiring day. I didn't fight but next year, God willing, I will. Thanks Guro Crafty for your ongoing commitment to letting people experience this.

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Cool Clip!

7. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Mhm...great video, very eye-opening indeed...at least to those who have eyes and a (self)critical mind to look.
    I see something in this clip that was not all that apparent to me in the earlier ones, probably due to the fact that it was an open thing. Namely, few people have shown the utmost inability to actually admit they blew it at couple of spots, so they ego kicks in and they try to make it up with further aggression, which in a couple of occasions only makes them sink deeper. Then again, maybe someone would call it resolve, determination or something...

8. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

This is a trailer so it is hard to get a feel for how each fight actually went, but there were certainly a couple of time where I think you are right in saying that they might have been better off pulling back a bit to re-group and then re-engage. Good observation.

9. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Are cross gender fights allowed now? I remember my friend Kat had a hard time and bowed out because she wanted to play with the boys.

10. I think they'll be a lot of guys nervous to fight that Ms Linda!

For me she displayed the best FMA skills in the video. I really liked how she stopped the grapple attempt with intelligent use of the stick. The knife work was class too!

Thanks for posting the video!

11. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

We do not allow stickfights between men and women for reasons that should be obvious.

12. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Yeah the male ego is so fragile. LOLZ

*cough* Kyra Gracie *cough*

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  13. Raw_Prime

Raw_Prime New Member

Lol!

See,That's why my girls train!

14. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Be serious. Do you see women fighting men in the UFC? Playing in the NFL? In the NBA? Or even in tennis?

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Or fencing, even...there are differences. At the highest levels of the sport it'll certainly matter.

16. pguinto

pguinto New Member

I am serious. In the documentary Renzo Gracie Legacy, there is a clip of a competition where Kyra Gracie beats her male opponent (by submission, if im not mistaken). It marked the first time a woman successfully competed and won in that male dominated sport. It was a UFC-type competition.

17. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

If I am not mistaken, that was a submission tournament.

18. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Out of curiosity what was the knife that Linda was using made out? Also the knife @ 9:31. To my eye it looked pretty realistic and very nice!

I got some fitness \ martial arts goals for next year and the gathering is one of them.

19. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Her knife, and that of her opponent, were of rather large and substantial aluminum trainers.

Over the years we have tried many things, including the Schocknives, but we have found the substantial focused impact of which the aluminum trainers are capable (can you say "broken hand"?)tends to do a very good job of encouraging realistic behavior.

20. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Makes sense!