2nd Annual River City Rumble

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by junior eskrimador, Jun 16, 2007.

1. junior eskrimador

junior eskrimador Expect the Unexpected

Filipino Martial Arts Academy/Doce Pares West Coast Headquarter
    Present:

2nd Annual River City Rumble
    Sept. 1, 2007
    8:00am - 5:00pm

Liberty Towers School Gym
    5132 Elkhorn Blvd.
    Sacramento, CA 95842

2. junior eskrimador

Review

This is my own personal review on River City Rumble.

Great turn out, I counted 13 schools. Let me see if I can name a few.

Filipino Martial Arts Academy (Sacramento)
    Doce Pares Sacramento (Sacramento)
    Tae Kali Do (LA)
    Eskrimador Doce Pares (LA)
    Los Angles Doce Pares (LA)
    Mt. Sac (LA)
    Philippines Team (PI)
    War of Rightousness (Sacramento)
    Senkotiros (San Leandro)
    Angles Disciples (Bay Area)
    Oakland Eskrima Club (Oakland)
    Bahalana (Stockton)
    Freelance (Unknown)

I might of forgot some schools so, please forgive me. I counted during the opening ceremony.

The forms was great. An eskrimador from the PI Team was very impressive. Fighting was also impressive. It gave a sneak peek for the Western Regional. During lunch break, GM Castro from Vallejo demonstrated Kaboraan/Serrada and Sifu Ken from Sacramento Pahavisit Self-Defense demonstated Kajukenbo. Nice demo from both school.

If anyone attended give your input of the fight or whole event.

3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Great turnout with great demos!! It was held at a very nice venue. Looking forward to the next one. Much thanks to Master Nilo.

4. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

I thought that GM Castro is from San Francisco. Also isn't his Art called eskabodaan? He was the one with the drums right? Can anyone help me out.

5. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Overall I really enjoyed the whole tournament. There were a lot of great performances as well as fights. Can't wait for the next one.

6. StixMaster

Yes you're correct, GM Castro is fron San Francisco and does use drumming to help develop timing. His style is called Eskabo Daan. I was there and helped him by playing the other set of drums, I sat right next to him. Great tournament.

7. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

You were the one in the middle right? The drumming was in fact nice. I am interested in learning escrima especially after seeing it this past Saturday. Do you have any tips on how I should pick one. All I know is that each system I saw were all good, they were all also different. I noticed that the sticks looked different as well. Any reason? This was my first time seeing Filipino martial arts. I really should thank my friends for dragging me down there :)

8. junior eskrimador

My appologies to GM Castro for getting the wrong art name. I got two arts wrong with two GM. Anyway, it was a nice demo. I too can't wait for next year but everyone can see more at the WEKAF Regional in Fremont next month. Good luck to all that will compete.

9. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Sorry for sounding stupid but what is WEKAF? I do not know anything about Filipino Martial Arts so I am learning as I go along. Is it another tournament like the one that happened in Sac?

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

WEKAF is the World Eskrima-Kali-Arnis Federation (if memory serves), and it sponsors stick-fighting competitions. Search the site for WEKAF for more info.!

11. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Thanks!

12. StixMaster

Yes the sticks were shorter, is that what you meant?? The shorter stick came to GM Castro via GM Anthony Davis and GGM Angel Cabales of Serrada. Angel used a shorter stick when we all met him in the 80's, he told us then that the shorter stick was easier to move when you come in close range and that it gives one the ability to spin the tip to add torque power when striking at close range also better stick control too. Pick a style that fits what you want out of it and if possible ask what is covered in the particular schools curriculum. Rmember all FMA styles have something to offer you, so do as much research as you can before you choose. Eskabo Daan in a simple explanation is a combination of Serrada and Kombatan with a lot of extras, consequently the individual component styles that are contained in Eskabo Daan are styles that can stand-up on their own merit. Eskabo Daan in its own way honors all the styles that are contained with-in it. Perhaps you will get an opportunity to experience FMA more first hand in the near future.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  13. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Thanks for the info! But I have a couple of more question that I hope you can help me out with. In having a shorter stick is the person sacrificing power for speed? Can the short stick be just as devestating as a long one? Or is it the longer the stick the more powerful it is? Can a short stick handle the power of a long stick? When is a short stick too short? When is a long stick too long to be an escrima stick? Sorry for all the questions but these questions just came to me. Help me if you can. Thanks again for the input you have given me and for any future input you can give me.

14. StixMaster

Its about centrifugal force, in FMA there are a lot of principles of physics that are in play. When an object,ie; a stick long or short is moving in an arc or circle the force of the motion is directed to the tip or the outer edge of the stick, so whether the stick is long or short the idea is to avoid getting hit with the tip. Velocity (speed) IMHO doesn't sacrifice power but helps provide power along with body, legs, foot torque and the slight lowering of ones center of gravity but with the speed you need accuracy, cause if a power strike misses its mark it is energy waste, the whole idea is to direct the tip to the target whether the stick is short or long. A short stick can handle the longer stick if one is inside of the tip and closer to the hand that wields it. Look at it like batting in baseball, when a pitcher needs to pitch a power hitter a lot of pitchers will pitch at the batter close to his hands and away from the 'sweet spot ' of the bat which is closer to the 'tip of the bat which has the effect of canceling out the power of the batter and in batting part of good hitting is to have good bat'speed' which then translates into power and a homerun. Remember this that all weapons or sticks long or short can and will hurt you if the tip hits you. Some people drive trucks others drive small sports cars but the object is to get somewhere. I hope this helps a little. The choice is still up to you because each school has its own tried and tested training methods. Then there is timing, rhythm and fluidity this all adds to power and accuracy. Like my friends in Derobio Eskrima and Eskabo Daan practice. Breaking an opponents rhythm creates openings for counters etc....

15. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

There are also certain things you can and can't do with each. Don't worry about that, you learn to use what you have. Just visit local schools and speak with the instructors and let them know what you expect to learn, and they will tell if they can teach you, and what to expect from them! Good luck in your search! :)

16. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

That all makes sense!! Thanks for the advice!

17. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

I can't remember the names of the schools who participated in each division of the tournament. Could some one post up the results from the tournament? I would like to know which school won what and where they are located. There was one group called the "disciples" and the other called bahala....something. The only one I can remember is Doce Pares. Can anyone help me out a little? I was impressed with all of them so I think that my journey should begin with one of those schools I saw in action.

18. junior eskrimador

jdc2003, post #2 has the school and location. As far as who won I'll see if I can get a listing and post it. Don't count on it, I'll try my best. But if you really want to know the results email Master Nilo Baron, www.docepares.net. But if your more interested on the schools and fighters, WEKAF regionals usually brings out the best fighters. Reason being is that only the 1st and 2nd place winners from each division advance to the National WEKAF and there all regional winners compete for the 1 and 2 spots for the World WEKAF that will be held in CEBU. River City Rumble is a preview of what Regional will be like. There was several schools and fighters did not attend that usually compete. It might be because it was on Labor Day weekend or its one month away from the regional. Have fun on your journey in FMA. Each school/Style has something to offer.

19. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

You would be refering to "Angel's Disciples" which is Angel Cabales Serrada Escrima(Short sticks), and Bahala Na, which is a mixed style of Eskrima/Arnis(www.bahalana.com). All of whom are in the Stockton/Sacramento Area.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  20. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Thanks for the info!! I will be sure to check the site out.