2009 Pacific Island Tournament in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by yomitche, Apr 16, 2009.

1. NAGA

NAGA Member

Tournament T-Shirts

Hello Everyone,
    We will also have tournament T-shirts for sale as well. The Price range $15-20....

Thanks,
    John

2. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

And it's an absolutely fantastic, catchy design!

3. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I should be rolling in around 930 am. I got the weekend clear- finally.

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Have a great time Buzz and that of course goes for everybody! [​IMG]

John is a first class kind of guy so I expect this event will be great! [​IMG]

5. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Thank you midway kodenkan for a great, fun event. It was great meeting everyone... I learned a lot of useful things both fma and otherwise. See you guys next year!!

6. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Are the results going to be posted?
    I heard it was a great time.
    I'm sorry I couldn't accompany my student who fought, to Chicago this year.
    I will be there next year though!! :)

7. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Yep, John and I are collating the list of winners as we can. Partly we want to make sure and get the spellings correct and their school names.
    Still a little groggy today, getting home very late last night as I'm sure your student is as well.
    Thanks for sending a rep!

8. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Steve,
    Thanks for having a great seminar/tournament again this year!!
    And also thanks for making Chris feel at home there!
    Hopefully next year, we'll have Kurt, John and Chris from KC compete.
    Thanks again and I can't wait to see the videos
    Shelley

9. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

You're very welcome!
    I have some great pics of Chris in the Combat Knife Division against a very game fighter, Terry Crutcher (who was a super guy, as was the rest of his group).
    Terry, I've got your email and I'll send pics as I have time!

10. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

What a great time had by all! This year was some of the hardest hitting that I have ever seen with a padded stick! Everyone did a fantastic job. There were tribes from all over the USA.

An unknown group from Mininsota proved that you don't have to have a big following to do well.

Chris from KC fits right in with his brothers Kurt and John who fought last year and who I have come to know and love as family. They are all great fighters, heavy hitters and humble guys, I love spending time with them. What a priceless combination.

Once again John's DTS group proved to have what it takes to get the job done, what a great showing for him and his group from Chi Town. They are repeat champs in their favorite divisions.

Steve and Cole Van Harn from the Navadisha tribe proved once again that they can bring it. Steve with his fair and unbiased judging in the center ring and Cole for his great fighting skills and good sportsmanship.

I can't forget Datu Tim Hartman and his fighter June who not only fought in every event, he fought in every division he could! He won so much hardware that he could open his own Martial Art Supply store! What a great guy!

I want to thank Patrick Rogers and his group from MO. What a family they are and a great bunch of people, who I am happy to call my friends. You all are great fighters and true sportsman. Any of you are welcome at my home any time.

I want to thank my friends, Master Style and Mike Snow for being there for me and my fighter Craig. We had an awsome, awsome time. All we could talk about all the way home was the fun we had.

Last of all I want to thank Grand Master Jerson "Nene" P. Tortal Sr. who has given me the oppertuninity to represent him and his family system in the South Eastern United States. It is a true horor for me.

If I left any one out, please PM me and i will post the fun we had!

God Bless,

Stephe Shy
    DTS Florida

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  11. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

The name of Datu Tim Hartman's fighter in my last post was misspelled. His name is Jhun Occidental.

12. Crutch

Crutch New Member

It was nice to meet you guys. We had a great time and will be back next year.

Terry
    www.jkd-concepts.com

13. Big John

Big John New Member

My thanks to Midway Kodenkan and Guro John for inviting the Bandalan Martial Arts group to the gathering again this year. It was an honor to teach in presence of so many esteemed instructors from around the world. I hope to see everyone again next year.

Aloha,
    Master John Cipkar
    Bandalan Martial Arts

14. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

FIght Video

Here is a video of myself and Juhn in the first fight of the tournament. Enjoy.
    [yt]ABkSNBeenrw[/yt]

15. Tagadagat

Tagadagat New Member

Many thanks to the organizers of this tournament/gathering

This is Federico, one of the guys who snuck in from Minnesota ;-) Anyways, I know Mark (the other guy who snuck in with me), will post as soon as his account is validated as well, but just wanted to extend from both of us, our many thanks to everyone who worked so hard at making this tournament a reality. It was great to meet so many good people, and we had a blast. So to John, and Steve and everyone else who worked so hard to make the tournament happen, maraming salamat from us in Minnesota. And to everyone else we met, it was our pleasure to meet you and play with you. You are all more than welcome to visit, should you ever be passing through the Minnesota area.

16. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

As promised, here are the placings for the tournament.

Adult Sayaw –
    1st Cole Van Harn - Navadisha Martial Arts

Adult lightweight Sword
    1st Juhn Occidental – WMAA
    2nd Mark Basel – Philippine Combat Arts Club
    3rd Sylva Smotherman – Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban
    Adult middleweight sword
    1st Carlos Flores – DTS Chicago
    2nd Chris Copeland - Kapatiran Madirigma
    3rd Frederico Malibago – Philippine Combat Arts Club
    Adult heavyweight Sword
    2nd Bill Cihak – DTS Chicago
    3rd Glen Young – Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban

Youth Sword
    1st Cole Van Harn – Navadisha Martial Arts
    2nd Craig Spillman - DTS Florida
    3rd Patrick Rogers - Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban

Adult Lightweight point knife
    1st Cole Van Harn – Navadisha Martial Arts
    2nd Juhn Occidental – WMAA
    3rd Sylva Smotherman – Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban
    Adult middleweight point knife
    1st ChrisCopeland – Kapatiran Madirigma
    2ndCarlos Flores – DTS Chicago
    3rd Juhn Occidental – WMAA
    Adult heavyweight point knife
    2nd Terry, Crutcher - JKD Concepts Bloomington
    3rd Mike Wharfield - JKD Concepts Bloomington

Youth Point Knife
    1st Craig Spillman – DTS Florida

Combat knife Sponsored by Chris Renfroe of Freestyle KravMaga and Navadisha Martial Arts
    1st Glen Young – Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban
    2nd Cole Van Harn – Navadisha Martial Arts
    3rd Chris Copeland - Kapatiran Mandirigma
    4th Patrick Rogers - Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban
    5th Terry Crutcher - JKD Concepts Bloomington

Grand Champion 1 - Winner of the Negros Talibon
    Juhn Occidental – WMAA

Grand Champion 2 - Winner of the Custom Sansibar
    Cole Van Harn – Navadisha Martial Arts

Fighter of the Day – Winner of the Kukri
    Sylva Smotherman (sp) - Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban

Honorable Mention awards
    Bill Cihak – DTS Chicago
    Sylva Smotherman – Backyard Brotherhood – una sa laban

Thanks to everyone who attended and helped. The tournament was even better than previous years and the level of skill displayed was impressive as was the sportsmanship.

Steve

17. NAGA

NAGA Member

Bash,Slash and dash!!

Hello All,
    I cannot tell you how excellent this blade orientated tournament was, or how great the fights were. If you did not come you missed out on high level competition, action galore and some refreshing acts of gallentry and sportsmenship. First, my thanks to those who came and helped, Steve Van Harn, Mike Snow, Teresa Ortega, Datu/GrandMaster Tim Hartman, Mushtaq Ali Al-Ansari, Chris Renfroe and others. Second to the competitors, you guys and gals rocked! Finally to my DTS family thanks for all the support and coming with the butt kicking intensity! Grand Tuhon Nene Tortal, Stephen Shy, Craig Spillman, Patrick Kennedy, Carlos Flores and Bill Chiak my most profound thanks. To everyone thanks.....

John

18. BirdieKing

BirdieKing Member

Great tourney, great fun

Hey everyone this is Mark, and as Federico has said already we are very pleased to have had this experience. John, Steve and the others that worked and played really did an outstanding job and make everyone feel like they were welcome and keep it truly in the spirit of friendship and fun with a great balance of competition to make it stand out that you were in a tournament. Well done!

Sincere thanks and well wishes to all the new friends we have met and again, if you are in the area please let us know!

www.philippinecombatarts.com

19. silat1

silat1 Active Member

It's good that things are starting to take off for the DTS family in the midwest.. I am glad to see such good things after so much diversity in the beginning of this organization.. This is what is meant by the term Kababayan and it is good that things are starting to expand for the group...

20. Labantayo

Labantayo Junior Member

Bill,
    Kababayan means "fellow countrymen", diba?