2009 Pacific Island Tournament in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by yomitche, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ebutler1

ebutler1 New Member

ill check and see what i have going on and ill let you know..im a med student so i never know whats going to happen..and thanks again for the help it's very much appreciated.

2. NAGA

NAGA Member

The P.I.G.A.T. Midway Kodenkan

Hello Everyone and Ebutler,
    Well The Pacific Island Gathering and Tournament at Midway Kodenkan 5159 S. Archer Ave. in Chicago. Will be held on October 10th thru 11th. Saturday the 10th will be the seminar series and like I posted previously I am still waiting on some confirmations for which Guros and others whom will be teaching. Sunday is the tournament proper where you get to test and critique what you have learned and possibly see a new twist on it from another systems perspective. The idea here is to grow and help others in a friendly yet competitive atmosphere. However if you are planning on being a surgeon this art is not the one for folks who wish to protect their hands others in this catagory would be, hand models, concert pianists and the aforementioned surgeon.....

Thanks,
    John

3. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Just out of curiosity, what is the format of the tournament? Continuous, point sparring, padded sticks...? Thanks!

4. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Yomitche,
    Same rules as last year and we will be posting a video soon explaining everything. Hope that helps?

John

5. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

John and I were able to film a rules video last week during the DTS camp. It should be finished in editing soon so we can post it.
    One new additional division we are trying out this year is "Combat Knife" using marking knives. It could get pretty intense.

6. NAGA

NAGA Member

DTS Mandatory event

I thought this would be appropriate here on this thread as well, this applies too everyone......

Thanks,
    John

7. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

8. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Will these fights be put up on youtube?

9. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Yes, we will definitely post some afteraction reports and pics.

10. NAGA

NAGA Member

Youtube etc....

Hello,
    I would hope the easiest way too see all of the "action" would be to actually participate in the tournament itself. At least come and see for yourself.

Thanks,
    John

11. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Hi John. Chicago's a little out of my way but I do enjoy reading accounts of previous PIG-Nagasulongs. One of these days I will have to stop by, if not for a PIG perhaps another occasion. I'm mostly asking about footage as there will be systems present I have little exposure to and I'm curious to see them in a tournament enviroment. Also I'm curious to see the new rules in action. Thanks for the invitation and good luck with your event.

12. NAGA

NAGA Member

OOPs...

Hello,
    Yes very true I did not know how far away you were from us until I got a bit of clarification... Nevertheless, good wishes are always welcome.

Thanks,
    John

13. Crutch

Crutch New Member

What is the cost associated?
    Can you register at the door?
    Preregistration?

Thanks,
    Terry

www.jkd-concepts.com

14. NAGA

NAGA Member

Finally Next week!

Hello Terry,
    We will finally be posting a bunch of information next week including the seminar series on Saturday and the prices sign up sheet flyers and prizes..... So, stay tuned we are going to have a great time!

Thanks,
    John

15. redspear

redspear New Member

Alright time to get ready for the tournament! Should be alot of fun!

16. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Sounds like this will be a great time! I'm lookin forward to sharing and learning on Saturday and takin part in all the events Sunday. Who has some inside info on good (by good I mean cheap) hotels that are close by?

17. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Don't stay at the Midway Inn!

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

you can stay at the midway inn, just make sure you take your roach motel with you when you first check in.. Those are some big assed roaches, but could save you on taxi fees if you can break one to get used to a saddle

19. NAGA

NAGA Member

Saturday Seminar Series on October 10th!

Hello All,

Here is a listing of the instructors and their arts for the Saturday seminar series. We start at 9:30 a.m. sharp.

Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal teaching Dekiti Tirsia Siradas Kali.

Master Felix Ponce of Una Sa Laban teaching Serrada concepts.

Datu/Grandmaster Tim Hartman teaching Modern Arnis and Balintawak concepts.

Guro John Cipkur teaching Bandalan Doce Pares Eskrima espada y daga.

Guro Keith Wetoskey teaching Lamenco Escrima.

Master V. Ing teaching his family system of Wing Chun Kung Fu.

For instructors after hours, a special business seminar by Datu/Grandmaster Tim Hartman.

Cost associated are: if signed up for the tournament or planning on doing so, the whole day is $40. If not, the whole day is $60 or $20 per hour long session given by these talented instructors.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  20. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Wow that is a great line up John! :)