2009 Pacific Island Tournament in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by yomitche, Apr 16, 2009.

1. yomitche

yomitche New Member

Hey all! Just wondering if there are plans for a 2009 Pacific Island Tournament (formerly Nagasulong) this year? I didn't get a chance to go last year, but would really like to go this year, if I can plan things properly. Any info would be very helpful and much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I think they have plans for it but I am sure John or Mark will inform us for sure! [​IMG]

3. Brian R. VanCise

Actually just looking on John's site it says October 12th 2009!

4. KMAA

KMAA New Member

Based on my conversations with Guro John, I am pretty sure it is actually planned for Sunday, October 11, 2009.

5. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Yep, It's on for Sunday Oct. 11. We're all putting plans in place to make it even better than last year!

6. NAGA

NAGA Member

The P.I.G. is on.

Hello Everyone,
    Yes! In Chicago over the holiday weekend the Pacific Island Gathering or P.I.G. for short is on for Sunday October the 11th 2009. If you have questions feel free to shoot me a PM here or visit the Dojo website www.MidwayKodenkan.com ....

Thanks,
    John

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I couldn't make last year's tourney due to a slight case with a "alleged" cardiovascular incident which I had in August of 08.. I had to lay off of training for more than 6 months due to the controversial discussion between the doctor and myself (no blood was let). But I got a clear bill of health earlier this year, so I will be making my every 5 yr trip back to the states this July for the camp (if I can drop the wife off at walmart for 4 days) so I will trying to make the camp with GT Tortal this july.. I am also scheduling to go on various road trips while back stateside for almost a month to visit old stomping grounds and vacation spots of my youth.. I will be taking my time when attending the camp, so don't be looking for any explosive movement on my behalf this time, although I have been requested to show some of the Balintawak from GM Reston by some of the other DTS brothers.. I will do this pending approval with John and others, but will be after the seminar hours so not to take anything from the project that is already scheduled.. My dates of travel scheduled so far are from 7 July through the end of the month as the wife will be making her once a decade trip to the mainland with me.. Looking for it..

8. Mariah

Mariah Lean, Mean when necessary

I'm looking forward to coming back for another great time, Guro John and all the guy's do a great job!
    There's nothing better than a good fun padded stick fight!!

9. Sabraxas

Sabraxas New Member

I had a great time at the last tournament. I'll definitely be at the next one.

10. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Can't Wait! The only thing missing last year was a mascot! I didn't get to catch all the competitions last year because of the constant flow of people asking questions about the blades displayed in the "Sandata Show". Not complaining, it was worth it just seeing the look of disbelief on their faces, overwhelmed by the beauty of the antique blades. I think we created more sandata addicts too. : ) It was just as much a leaning experience for my self as it was them. Most people had no idea that each culture had their own weapons, symbols, systems, history or different techniques. I was lucky enough to have one of the sandata experts their to hit up for info when someone asked me a question I was unsure of. I missed the knife competition though %$&@ @# and that is my favorite! But I did see sword competition. I was walking up to the window when Datu Tim and the LSA gentleman started going at it and you could hear the contact all the way outside the building. Two heavy hitters there. I got to check out two of the seminars the precious day and they were really great. The Lua seminar which was taught by Asidro and the Lameco Escrima seminar that was taught by Guro Keith Wetoskey. So now I'm hooked. I was able to check out two of the demos the day of the comptition. The live blade demo with Pendakar put the whole place at a dead silence with everyone's eyes as big as silver dollars. All you could hear was blades expertly sliding across each other as they expertly deflected each other, " shk, shk, shk", no amateur steel banging going on there. And of course I got to see everyone jumping up and down with excitement, cheering laughing and clapping as GT Nene threw John around like a rag doll. "Throw'em again, please, please, throw'em again ! " Both were receiving nonstop requests for an encore. There were quite a few other cool events that the other raved about. Plus Mushtaq was teaching Juru's after the tournament that look really sweet and applicable(deadly). We all know who got the Sadata Show prize(a WWII Tausug Pungkul Barung) and we awarded Mushtaq with the Nagatulong Award(a 44" antique Bagabao Kampilan), for helping so many people and sharing so much over the years always asking for nothing in return. Unsure of the prizes for this year, but we promise they will be well worth the efforts for attending and competing. There are other people already inquiring about this year's P.I.G. and the interest is steadily growing. So I am sure this P.I.G. will be even bigger and Phatter that last year's. Plus I hope to be able to present John with the first P.I.G. Mascot. LOL

11. GT Nene Tortal

GT Nene Tortal -== Banned ==-

Hello everyone!

I am looking very much forward to seeing everyone again this year at the
    Pacific Island Gathering. Last year I had a very good time with great people. I will again be presenting a hand forged ginunting from my personal panday to the so called Top Dog again at this year's tournament. I just hope John is ready to be part of the entertainment again this year, he is a good sparring partner.

See you all there, Grandmaster Jerson "Nene" Tortal Sr.

12. Brian R. VanCise

See you soon Grand Tuhon! [​IMG]

13. NAGA

NAGA Member

Media

Hello Everyone,
    Tatang I think Brian and Steve may have media of us and maybe they can put a link here. Guys if you could do that it would be great. OOPs forgot everyone Grand Tuhon Jeson "Nene" Tortal will be at this years tournament. Just in case the tournament/gathering will be in Chicago on Sunday October 11th and you just never know what Luminaries in the world of FMA may show up (that is a not so subtle hint for others too post). Please visit www.Midwaykodenkan.com or www.DTSKali.com for up too the minute details and a website for the PIG itself will be up soon.....

Thanks,
    John

14. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

15. rm4

rm4 Junior Member

Great clips Navadisha!
    I have a few of them too, but we should be able to catch part 2 this year(if John is up to it!).

Naga,
    You and your group put on a great tourney last year and I can't wait for this one!
    This is a good fun family tournament.
    If there are any family's out there in the area this is one not to miss.

16. Brian R. VanCise

Here is couple of clip from last years DTS seminar with Grand Tuhon Tortal and also a clip from "The Gathering"!

[yt]1C-h50AyB2k&feature=channel_page[/yt]

[yt]Loh59CDuAv0&feature=channel_page[/yt]

John was a great partner for the Grand Tuhon and of course it was very, very enjoyable to train with the Grand Tuhon of Dekiti Tirsia Siradas Jerson "Nene" Tortal! (so great in fact that he will be up here in September of 2009 for another seminar)

17. ebutler1

ebutler1 New Member

new to the forum

I'm new to this forum but i'm very interested in learning more about the panantukan style..i live in georgia and i dont think there is anyone who instructs a class around here. anyone know where i can get more information and learn more about this unique fighting style?
    [​IMG]

18. NAGA

NAGA Member

Tournament etc...

Hello Ebutler,
    Well, at the Pacific Island Gathering And Tournament or to make it easier P.I.G.A.T. Midway Kodenkan, we did have some very well respected Guros in attendance whom are excellent at various methods of FMA empty hand including Panantukan. Which in laymens terms translates into "Fistfight" but has come to mean here in the States "Dirty Boxing"... Nevertheless, if you are coming here too Chicago to participate and network, odds are good someone may know an instructor in Georgia. I personally would recommend Stephen Shy in Florida, and he does do seminars (check out www.DTSKali.com ). Also try posting your question on other threads. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    John

19. ebutler1

ebutler1 New Member

thanks a ton man...im really looking for some good hand to hand combat styles...do you think it would be possible for me to teach myself a lot of this style?

20. NAGA

NAGA Member

This is the "Tournament" Thread.

Hello again ebutler,
    I think the bigger question is are you interested in coming too the tournament and gathering in Chicago at Midway Kodenkan on the weekend of October the 11th? If so you may talk with a wide variety of Grandmasters, Masters, Guros and students. These people have differing concepts just as to what Panantukan is and how to apply it. Nevertheless, the tournament itself will be on Sunday the 11th events will cover single sword, knife and sayaw (forms)and others stay tuned too this thread for those announcements.. . The Saturday before we will have our seminar series with a wide variety of instructors from the world of FMA, I have not posted the list as I am waiting on a few more confirmations. However, in the future I suggest you post on the DTS (Dekiti Tirsia Siradas Kali) thread and folks will be gald to elucidate on the various forms of Panantukan out there....Better yet Grandmaster Tortal will be having a camp here check that out on the "camps" thread.

Thanks,
    John