1st Generation Students.

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Datu Tim Hartman, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Here is a good question. How many 1st generation students of GM Bacon are still alive?

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Manong Ted Buot. Are there any others?

3. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

I don't know of any myself.

4. Toasty

Toasty New Member

What are you defining as 1st generation?

5. Datu Tim Hartman

Direct students of GM Bacon.

6. Toasty

Toasty New Member

Well then there are several... Arturo Sanchez trained with Anciong, Sergio Arcel did too - you would have to include Bobby Taboada & Bobby Tabmina as they started with the Villasin/Velez style but eventually ended with Anciong. Eusibio Moninio & Johnny Chuiten trained under Noy Anciong as well...

7. Datu Tim Hartman

I should be more specific. Those who had a student teacher relationship with GM Bacon, not those who did a class or two.

8. Reactor

Reactor Junior Member

Ted Buot
    Bobby Tabimina

As far as I know ...

Cheers,
    Reactor

9. Toasty

Toasty New Member

OK, then we still have Ted, Arturo & Sergio at least...
    If you go by what is post on Bobby Tabmina's site - he trained more than a little with Noy Anciong (in prison- not sure how much after Anciong was released...) - not sure how much Bobby Taboada trained with Anciong. Supposedly Eusibio Monino trained quite a bit under Anciong, on the Cebu Eskrima site it states he started in early 70's (perhaps after Ted Buot had left the Phillipines?)

10. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

There seems to be a pretty good list of notable students on Sam Buot's website... http://www.balintawakeskrima.faithweb.com/new_page_1.htm

"Other Balintawak masters, living and dead To the author’s great sadness and dismay, many of the great original Balintawak eskrimadors have since died - - Venancio Bacon, Jose Villasin, Teofilo Velez, Teotimo "Timor" Maranga, Eddie dela Cruz, Delfin Lopez, Tinong Ybanez, Isidro Bardilas, Ationg Abella, etc., have since passed away. The skills, talent and genius have also died with them. It is incumbent upon the living to reconstruct, collect and preserve the wealth and science of the art for posterity.
    To the author’s fading memory, the remaining original students of Bacon include Arturo Sanchez, Dr. Abe Cerna, Jody Lopez, Dr. Tony Abella, Octavius "Jim Boy" Hife, Esing Atillo, Roman Encarnacion and students of Velez and Villasin including the Velez brothers - Chito, Eddie and Monie, Nilo Servila, Dr. Ben Marapao, Fred Buot, Jr., Johnny Chiuten, Winnie dela Rosa and Romy dela Rosa and the surviving sons of Villasin, namely Joey and John Villasin. In the United States, to the author’s personal knowledge, only Teddy Buot, Bobby Taboada, Dr. Tony Abella and he himself, can claim to personal instructions from Anciong Bacon. There probably are many more who came at various times in these masters’ lifetime and career. No offense and disrespect is meant for their omission."

He doesn't mention Bobby Tabimina, but he definately trained a lot with Anciong when he was in jail and afterwards.

I've also heard that there were private students of Anciong that keep to themselves about it. Mostly from richer families, but you can find them around cebu.

Pete

11. MacJ_007

MacJ_007 Junior Member

Bobby Tabimina told me he trained for more than a year when Anciong was in prison. That's not straight tho, coz he told me he'll come back a week later because of his bruises. Then I think he was trained in Iligan as well.

Dr. Chris Go is one of the rich families that Anciong taught privately from what I heard since 12 years old. He is now around 70 years old.

12. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Lets not forget Remy Presas, He may not be alive but he was one of GM Bacons earliest students ecept of Course GM Maranga and GM Moncol, in fact GM Bacon had not even put together Abecedario yet, in fact his teaching was even more Ungrouped and formal then GM Buots is now!!!

Rocky

13. Datu Tim Hartman

How many are still alive?

14. Toasty

Toasty New Member

The ones who are still alive, Rock...LOL, I almost posted a whole bunch o'people... had to go back & re-read it myself.

15. Rocky

Rocky New Member

OK then has anyone mentiond GM Dom Lopez he was a student of both GM Buot and GM Bacon, it looks pretty much like everyone else that is still alive has already been listed here...

Whats really morbid is us 40 and 50 year olds are going to find lists like this in a few years with our names on it!!! You know people will be wondering if we are still alive!!

Well have a warm happy day!

Rocky

16. Toasty

Toasty New Member

Ain't that thruth - I turn 40 on april 15th - ran into old friend I hadn't seen in some time the other night ... he said "thought you'd be dead by now"!!:angel:

Ahhh, the glories of a misspent youth...

17. armas

armas Junior Member

My GM in Balintawak is Ver "Boy" Villasin son of the late GM Jose Villasin a direct student of GGM Anciong Bacon. Ver tells us stories of him being able to train directly with GGM Bacon when he was in his early teens. GM Ver is witness to all the evolution of Balintawak arnis. He teaches a small group in Vallejo CA.

18. Winnie A. Dela Rosa

Winnie A. Dela Rosa New Member

Winnie A. dela Rosa -1st gen student-

I am one of Winnie Abbu dela Rosa's daughters.
    I am currently in Ohio for work. I was browsing the net when i found this site.
    I took the liberty to add my father as one of your members.
    He is still quite active with Martial Arts in Cebu.
    He is holding his classes at Cebu City Sports Center.
    His reflexes with Martial Arts is still at its best.
    For years, my father has touched a lot of kids with his teaching.
    Most of whom have grown & now have their kids enrolled to his yearly summer classes.
    He recently was Cebu's Karatedo Coach for 2years.

I do hope you welcome him.
    As soon as i get home, i will post some of his pictures on this site.
    I truly believe that my father has contributed a lot to Martial Arts by imparting to Filipino kids his knowledge & expertise on it.
    Mind you, he is not paid on this at all.

To any of his friends & foes that has not seen or heard of him, please send me an email at nefertheari@lycos.com.
    It would be best if a picture is enclosed. I would greatly appreciate it.
    - Wendy dela Rosa -

19. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

Does Mr. Dela Rosa do Balintawak or another system?

20. Lostsoul060685

Lostsoul060685 New Member

My father tells of tales from noy anciong. Some I cant remember really. He trained with him. My father thought me the basics but unfortunely I was not able to practice it to the heart. I saw this forum and site and what the hell I miss the days and I would like to trained again. If there is anyone instructor in makati area.

Guess I also want to varify it since my father also knows atty villasin, and canete. My fathers name is Atty "Boy" Navales. We live in naga cebu.

OT: Anyway if anyone know of an instructor in makati email me at abnavales @ yahoo.com.ph.. Thanks