"1st Dan Blackbelt Modern Military Pekiti Tirsia"

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Malapitan, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I think thats the case across the service. My niece is in the Guard and she didn't get a lot of empty hand in basic and she doesn't appear to be getting much new material now. She got a few solid techs - she knows how to put me in an armbar, for example, but most of her training was on different types of firearms. I asked her what she thought of her standard issue...the M16 isn't my favorite to shoot....she just laughed and said that when you have to live with it all day and all night, you get used to it :D

2. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

Many people who are in the military service have said the same thing along the same lines. To get extensive hand to hand training. You would have to be a U.S. Army Ranger and move up from there also I know that in the U.S. Air Force it would be the Pararescue special operators and I think the CCT's get training ??

I am sure the military police in any branch would see more hand to hand fighting, especially in the brigs. The Marine Corps have always been great with their hand to hand training but so has the U.S. Army too. The USMC is known for being aggressive with overwhelming force while the U.S. Army is known for being very strong He-Men and having good technical form in the martial arts.

3. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Off-Topic, but how realistic is that? How many months of training do your guys get before they get shipped to whereever they're needed?

And how much would you give on the fighting abilities of a Martial artists with that short a time of training? - Especially since with all the other parts of military training, I guess many fun-time-martial-artists get more hours in melee training than the average soldier.

Here in Germany, I know that the KSK-guys (who have at least 3 years of training) for example get some (!) melee training, but most of them do MuayThai and other stuff in their own time to learn something usefull.

4. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

Good point there. I know the Korean military trains 7 days a week straight for the whole year in the morning and before bedtime. Their physical training regimen and martial art training is spot on. I would imagine the Chinese does the same thing with their training and when their muscles are sore then it is off to the classrooms for I guess some military education.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQzokgGS7g

The another one I know of is the Israeli military because the Israelis say that they can not afford to lose just one war.

The Germans are like the Americans in that respect, more soldiers get additional martial art training when they are off-duty to keep in shape and enjoy the martial arts.

5. Twist

Twist Junior Member

I agree.

I'm sure there are armies with very good hand to hand training, and I guess in every army you'll find some professional soldiers who really know how to fight hand to hand (esp. in special forces).

But on average, I guess most western armies with their short military service rely more on technical advancements in weaponry, tanks, ... than on the training of the single soldier.

6. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Training

Special Ops groups and some other units in the U.S. Military have a bit more freedom to develop a curriculum and funds to pay for the instruction. The standard U.S. Army training in unarmed and non firearm combatives is a mixed martial arts curriculum--grappling and striking and takedowns. However, Kelly Worden has trained Rangers several times, and the SEALs have gone through quite a few different martial arts programs in the last couple of decades. As for DEA, FBI, and federal law enforcement in general, what is taught is called Defensive Tactics and varies a bit across agencies. Primarily, there are control holds, some takedowns, and some striking. The last time I examined DEA and FBI techniques, they were more similar than different, though DEA did emphasize hand strikes/boxing more than the FBI. Both did a lot of groundwork and handcuffing techniques.

You will find a few instructors who have been contracted by government agencies to teach their soldiers/agents/law enforcement officers. You will find a whole heck of a lot more instructors claiming to have instructed SEALs, FBI, DEA, etc. Many of these are not lying, but they are stretching things a bit. They do a seminar and a SEAL or FBI agent shows up to train. They then put, "As taught to U.S. Navy SEALS" or some such on their advertising. This implies, to most people, that the instructor was hired by the government, not that the instructor taught a member of a unit who paid his or her own money to attend a seminar that was not set up exclusively for "secret" training. Most of the advertisements out there are like this, sadly. Sometimes the instructor offers a free demonstration/seminar at a law enforcement training facility as a way to "get in the door" and try to get a contract. Most of the time, in my experience, the agency will go "interesting and thank you, but we will stick with our program."

As I do not know the gentleman who is the subject of this post and have no affiliation with U.K. military personnel, I have no idea whether he has been retained as a trainer by U.K. military entities, has taught individual military students, or has done neither. I do know that, in the U.S. and some other nations with which I have a bit more knowledge, some instructors are retained by specific branches or units of the military or government agencies.

7. still lurking

still lurking New Member

MAybe his name is Dan Blackbelt :D

8. Carol

I don't know about the Marines. For the Army it is usually about 9-12 months of training. That training includes everything: basic training, combatives training, their MOS (the training for the job that they are going to be doing), organizational training, etc. My niece will be finishing up in about 6 weeks. She's in the Guard so she may be deployed overseas. If she doesn't, she'll have the chance to volunteer to go overseas. If she doesn't get deployed or volunteer she'll be serving part-time in her home state (and hopefully beginning college next fall). It will be interesting to see how her training develops, especially if she goes home to begin her part time service.

9. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

I hope your daughter does not go overseas to places like Iraq and Afghanistan and stays stateside for college. If she goes overseas, I can only hope it will be in a safe country like Germany or Italy where there is no violence and she could further her college education while she is in the military.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. Carol

I hope she stays stateside as well. I think the whole family is hoping that. However, I know she is thinking seriously about volunteering to go to war. Her mom (she's my niece) is trying to talk out of volunteering, her grandmother (my mom) is complaining that she's been brainwashed. She initially chose her MOS of systems support when she joined because her recruiter advised her that gave her the best chance of staying stateside (due to local demand for the skills). Now that she's in, she is more interested in being a warrant officer and doing more out in the field.

I know she's going to make an excellent soldier and will serve our country honourably. If she volunteers to go to war, it may be the best thing that happens to her career...I'm not sure her grades and year of service are enough to get her in to State, and if she stays in the military the war experience will help a lot. But...I won't deny that I'd like to see her serve out her commitment and still be in one piece when she's done.

11. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

I realize this is off-topic and the discussion really should be about people who adversite martial arts the wrong way.

I see I misunderstood she is your niece. I am a uncle to several nephews that are pretty close to being of military age. They are still in high school so I got concerns of my own with them going in during the wartime years, especially if the draft starts up again.

If this was a peacetime military then I would not have minded so much. If I could steer them in the direction of the U.S. Air Force or the U.S. Navy then that would be great because they have less chance of getting hurt or worse.

I don't think they understand that once they sign up or get drafted then they may not come back at all. I would go in so that my nephews do not have to, unfortunately I would be classified as 4F.

All I can do is hope my nephews choose their MOS wisely if they want to go in the military during the wartime years. I just hope that my nephews see the high school student's peer pressure for what it is and the same goes for going to the MEPS station, the peer pressure & the competition has to be very intense.

I just hope my nephews make better informed decisions that would not get himself hurt or killed. There are many ways to fight the war on terror another than the military. As a uncle, I do not want to see my nephews get hurt or worse. That is all I can really ask from my nephews.

12. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I was going to not reply to this thread since it is hitting close to home for me.. I am a retired military nco with 21 yrs in.. I have two sons, one of which followed in my foot steps and now is a NCO in the airforce.. He has 4 tours to Iraq, one tour to afghanistan and currently stationed in Korea.. He has been in for close to 10 yrs and has more time in other countries than I did in my 21 yrs.. He is currently active with the war on terrorism as I am also.. I work as a cop with daily interaction with the various military organizations here on island and get to see how the military personnel handle the requirements of being short manned and on a tight budget due to the two fronts with the war on terrorism.. The military personnel now do with a minimum of time and resources to meet the mission and they still meet it..

If it wasn't for the reserves, national guard who are getting activated, there would be a continuing requirement for active duty units to go and fight in this current episode of conflict.. That would mean that the active duty units would be there for longer tours, no chance of returning back to conus when their mission requirements are met.. In other words it would mean that there would be less people to do the job...

During my time in, I did a lot of traveling in southeast asia with the units I was assigned to meeting the requirements outlined in the missions we were to take.. My son was stationed in the UK and Germany, he went to Iraq, Finland,Bosnia and other places doing his mission requirements, he went there with no belly aching as it is part of being in the military..

Not all duty stations are safe, I can concur with that.. But whether or not you enlist in the active or reserve military units and get assigned to a hot spot, you can get injured or killed at any time.. It is nothing that you can control, the only thing you can do is keep your guard up and do nothing stupid to endanger yourself..

The military helps a lot of people grow up, learn responsibility and discipline.. It is not the cup of tea for everyone, it takes a determined individual to get through the basic training and the follow on tech schools to get into the real military.. First thing they tell you when you get to your first duty station, is to forget what they taught you in tech school, this is how it is done in the field.. Listen to your supervisor, keep your nose clean and maintain self discipline, the military can be the best thing that you will ever experience in life.. It helped a few of my family members in their time of enlistment.. It teaches you to be self reliant, self confident self disciplined and can help you to learn a skill that will help you survive in the real world..

13. Carol

Don't worry about the thread drift, I'll split this off a little later this evening.

I understand the need for reservists and the Guard to be activated. I personally haven't tried to sway her one way or the other, and will be behind her regardless of which direction that she chooses. I don't have any kids of my own...the closest thing to it are my niece and nephew.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. She did three years of Jr. ROTC in high school which is why she has already been promoted to Pfc. She was not the best student in school but she has a good street sense about her. She's used to doing hard work outdoors, her dad is a farmer and she has been in regional horseback riding competitions. She said basic was "not too bad" and graduated with honors. So...I'd like to think its a little more than auntie pride when I say I know she'll be a good soldier.

At the same time...this is a lot for me to digest, to think the young lady who just turned 18 in October is about to volunteer to go to war. I have faith in her, I have faith in her army training, but I won't be a short flight away if she really needs me. I have a new appreciation for what other military families are going through :bow:

14. TheSilentOne

TheSilentOne New Member

The way I see it is that if my nephew was going to make the military his career then it may make sense to go to war as a way to further his career.

If he was going in for college or he was being called up in a draft lottery then it wouldn't make sense to be in an infantry role where he would get hurt or killed.

I am thinking along the lines of military intelligence, working with computers or flying UAV operations in a battle box then he can go home after work. Something that is smart and will not get himself killed, as well satisfying his military obligations serving his country.

I realize this sounds like it is avoiding combat but you have to see it from an uncle's perspective. I would advise my nephews or nieces to choose their MOS wisely.

The military is a great way for young people to mature with good self discipline but the military is not for everyone.

15. Doc D

Doc D New Member

Wandered thru this thread....I agree with KaliGman. I trained a lot with various units in the military . I was in conventional then later Unconventional forces. Nowadays a better effort has been made to teach aggressive hand to hand and knife combatives to the troops than back in the post Viet Nam era. SF guys that I worked with had( like myself ) basic hand to hand, which was pretty basic then picked up additional skills on their own and by working with other "soldier-martial artists" within their group. On texassilat.org there was a query about a Lieutentant X marketing ploy to which I replied....ridiculous stuff....I'll not regurgitate it all here as I'm a 2 fingered typist. In the past , the US military services did not place hand to hand training at the apex of their training considerations. Ordinance, marksmanship ,more technology based training and other more mundane training goals were often stressed more than fisticuffs, grappling and even bayonet.

Been away a while ....just wandering through all the posts and catching up.

16. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

Looks like someone tipped him off. He changed it to "graduate"...whatever the hell that means.

17. punisher73

punisher73 Member

I admit I did not read through ALL of the replies, so forgive me if someone else addressed this.

"Korean Kempo"--??? The korean styles of martial arts do almost everything they can to erase their roots from okinawa/japan. I find it hard to believe that they would include that in the style unless it was a more modern creation.

That brings me up to the second issue..."Native American Fighting Arts" rang a bell with me so I googled it and came up with "Adrian Roman". Anyone familiar with him will also recognize that he is famous for selling rank through video (kenpo mainly) and also for his knife fighting. Pay enough money and you are certified.

So my guess is, this guy has bought alot of rank through people with newly created styles that people probably have not heard of, and the majority of people wouldn't know enough to question it.