12 founding grandmasters of the DP Club?

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by Twist, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Does anyone know who the 12 founding grandmasters of the DP Club were?

There are records who was involved in founding the club itself (like Teodoro, Lorenzo and Frederico Saavedra, Eulogio, Florentino and Filemon Canete, F. Penalosa, M. Verano, D. Nadela, S. Tupas, R. Quijano, V. Bacon, J. Lauron, M. Cabasan...) but I couldnt find any informations about who the 12 Grandmasters were that were actually teaching in the DP Club.

I guess Lorenzo Saavedra was one of them.. but the others?

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does anyone know about this?

3. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

I too am interested in this, I just recently discovered that there is a member who is part of the Nadela Clan during it's founding. It makes me glad to know that I am not the only one in my family who practices Filipino Martial Arts. I have asked my father but he does not know. He said the only people that would know are the Canete family. I found an article about Diogracias Nadela but it only states the history of Doce Pares. Here is the link anyway:http://nadelaclan.e-davao.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=16.

I will try to contact the Nadela Clan and ask more about my ancestor. I will also try to contact Grandmaster Cocoy Canete, He is the only man that can answer this. Is there a member here that can direct me to the Master? Many thanks,

Phil Mar Nadela

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Doce Pares was founded on January 11, 1932 by a small group of Eskrima Masters
    spearheaded by Eulogio Cañete, Lorenzo Saavedra and Teodoro Saavedra.

Twelve of them originally conceptualized it but shortly after its inauguration
    January 21 that year, the membership rose to twenty four. Eulogio Cañete and Teodoro Saavedra were elected as President and Vice President respectively.

Other elected officers and original members were,
    Fortunato Peñalosa (secretary), Marcelo Verano, Deogracias Nadela, Felimon Cañete, Federico Saavedra, Strong Tupas, Rodolfo Quijano, Pio Deiparine, Florentino Cañete, Juanito Lauron, and Magdaleno Cabasan, Composing of the Advisory Board where: Lorenzo Saavedra, Lawyers, Cecilio Dela Victoria, Margarito Revilles and Dr. Anastacio Deiparine.

A couple of years later, more prominent Masters joined the group among them were: Jesus Cui, Pedro Villaro, Claudio Kalinawan, Venacio Bacon and Pastor Villagracia.

I would say that the original 12 founders would be amoungst the 1932 first elected officers.

Best regards

Pat

5. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

my fren read pat omaleys post some info are into it. if you want to know more look at it in www.FMA.com it had some article there. acctualy before the doce pares was formed arnis has already different background of its own origin until such time people at that time were tired of rivalry due to war against phil-amer war and the the amer-jap war. so because of that incedent they decided to unite and form the art. but at that time they shared diff. curriculum that a practitioner has freedom to choose an instructor and the art to practice. and the founding GM are the first members of the commitee since they came from diff. backgrounds so they were considered the founding fathers. thats wat I've got from research but I heard also some diff. stories but that documentation was atleast near to accurate maybe due to time that its not a must to write history back at that time unlike chinese or japanese fund of making scrolls of history. I hope i gave you some I deas feel free to ask maybe I can expound and expand farther[​IMG]

6. Phil Mar Nadela

Wow! naay scrolls! Palihug ug hatag ug dugang na kasayuran na mahitungod sa imong na hibaloan. Me and my father have been looking for the roots of ours linked to the art.

7. el maldito de cebu

sa ako nasayran brod. basi sa mga storya na ako nadungan ang 12 pares kay gilangkoban og managlahi na mga stilo sa mga maestro sa eskrima niadtong mga tuiga pero walay mga nahisolat na kasayoran nga dugang bahin niini. murag nabaon sa panahon tungod sa kinaiya sa mga pinoy na d kau modocomento kabahin sa ilang mga naantigohan. I'am very interested to find out the roots of the FMA but every time I'am close theres always a missing link. thats all I can share for now. I'am also would like to descover the different martial arts of each region has if its existence. very wide topic thaw phil is composed of 7,107 island 92dialect and 104 subdialect correct me if I'am wrong

8. Phil Mar Nadela

I know what you mean bay, it is frustrating. It is hard to know for sure with out the written historical documents. We have been only looking for our family's link to the art but the closest we came by was with the great great Grandson of Diogracias Nadela. I believe he does not know if there was a Nadela style of FMA. He practices Doce pares though.

I'm afriad the Nadela clan style FMA is long gone.

Salamat Bay,

Phil Mar Nadela

9. el maldito de cebu

if I had time I would like to dig in to the phil. National library I also want to know the different history of cebu I have also a question in my mind since the greatgrandma of my lolo is Illustrisimo I would also like to dig what is the relationship of my family with the Illustrisimo clan. because its very ironic that I am very interested in FMA that I studied a different system in cebu and in its my blood got a relative that is practicing the art. now question? do my family is included in the clan system of FMA? I still am soul searching were my interest roots up. we have the same question in common and I'am going to investigate it in due time. god speed

10. salurian

salurian New Member

Hey Twist,
    just have a look into FMA digest Special Edition Cacoy Doce Pares. All relevant information should be in there. If this information are not sufficient, I can search in my records if I can find some mire details.

Cheers

tobi

11. el maldito de cebu

Thank you for the info salurian that you had added. if its just ok can you send me some files of the history of doce pares in my email? heres my email amrapheltrinidad@yahoo.com tnx.

12. Pat OMalley

If you dig deep enough you will find the Ilustrisimo's and the Savedraa's trained with the same people. So doing Doce Pares is not really that far removed from your clan.

Best regards

Pat

13. el maldito de cebu

thanx for the info pat' but I would jsut emphasize my relationship with the clan pat' not on the art or the system its like finding who you are. but about the info that you post I did get a little clue. if tatang illustrisimo trained with doce pares then they are near cebu maybe I could say his from the visayan region and if i could find out latter maybe we are really connected.

Maraming salamat
    Lubos na gumagalang
    El maldito de cebu

14. el maldito de cebu

twist I'm glad to know I'am really part of the Illustrisimo clan it happened that some concern FMA practitioner pm me and gave me info on the roots of tatang Illustrisimo he was originally from bantayan island of cebu my great gandma was also from bantayan they are related. I'am really having a blood of the warrior no matter how my parents stop me to be a martial arts practitioner I cant earase it in my blood it is really my destiny to follow tha tracts of my acestors and preserve FMA in the future generation to come. try viewing my amateur video.in youtube searc el maldito de cebu.

best regards
    el maldito de cebu

15. Phil Mar Nadela

I guess it’s a Filipino thing, my parents also discourage FMA. They associate martial arts as trouble or violence.
    I do not blame them though because I guess they are looking after my safety.

16. el maldito de cebu

Ya I agree but if its once in your blood its hard to deny so accept whats your fate and brace your destiny. I'm proud that I had a warrior in my blood and I will deffend it until the last breath that I had to preserve my culture and FMA for the future generation. you can't earase where you come from

17. Pat OMalley

And if you try, you will never get where you want to go.

18. el maldito de cebu

yap your right bro. as the saying goes kung di ka maronong lumingon sa pinangalingan hindi ka makakapunta sa paroroonan

19. ariscanete

ariscanete New Member

Is anyone here has the original 1932 Doce Pares picture when they founded it. I know only 3 guys there in that pic. Lolo Euling (Eulogio), Lolo Moymoy (Filemon) and Vicente Bacon. Vicente Bacon left Doce Pares and started to form Balintawak. I think Lolo Cacoy is there too and he is sitting at the front row of the group.

Sorry I dont remember my Lolo Euling telling stories (1982 or 83) about how Doce Pares founded back then. Its a rare moment with him when he visited us in our house in Pasay City. He only told me how the Cañete Clan became notorious during Spanish times by killing two Spanish Civil Guards using Eskrima and all Cañete relatives left Cebu to hide in different provinces. The original 8 Cañete brothers split up in two groups...1st group went to Northern part of Cebu while the 2nd group (Doce Pares core) went to San Fernando Municipal Town (South part).

Almost forgot, My Dad is Amorito Canete who is the son of Tirso (Eso) Canete- late brother of Lolo Cacoy. I am no longer active with Doce Pares since we left for Manila. I got active from 1975 to 1977- 10-12 years back then and Doce Pares was still young in going to provinces doing some exhibitions to show the Eskrima art and I was one of them.