1 on 1 match

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by fangjian, Nov 8, 2011.

1. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

Anyone know of any videos that have Balintawak player in a 'sparring match' ( dog brothers, wekaf ) ?

I have only found a few, and they are all 'Michael Vincent Malanyaon. hehehe Much respect to him.

[yt]G-F8i5wKlzI[/yt]

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

3. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

Glad to see Guro Mike representing the art. As far as I know Guro Mike competes regularly in a variety of competitions. IMO there should be more regular sparring in Balintawak. The counter to counter system gives us many of the tools we need to successfully attack and defend against resisting opponents.

Many sparring comps give FMA practitioners a great opportunity to apply and test their skills however, many comps have limitations. For example, WEKAF comps where players are heavily padded facilitate a heavy offense with less attention given to defense. In other events sparring with padded flexible sticks makes blocking power strikes less effective due to the flexibility of the weapon. My Balintawak group has developed a sparring routine reminiscent to the Dog Bros format albeit a scaled down version; we use heavy fencing head gear, lacrosse elbow protection, and light sticks. The result creates a conscious attitude about the significance of defense. We still only use the force necessary to elicit a response from the opponent and matches are kept friendly yet challenging and as of yet we have had no injuries. As the collective schedules of members of our group are becoming more beneficial to regular training I hope to incorporate more regular sparring into our training sessions. The preceding diatribe is mainly just my personal thoughts on sparring and competition and doesn't necessarily represent the opinions of my Balintawak peers and training partners.

In the context of non weapons arts I think some of the best examples of effective systems are those systems where practitioners regularly test their skills on fully resisting opponents. By sparring with resisting opponents the practitioner learns how to adapt his or her style to suit the individual and the unique situation rather than rely on principal and conjecture when it counts most. I also agree that with weapons systems sparring is more complicated and perhaps no rule set can safely represent the reality of a weapons match. If we at least make an effort to spar regularly and train against resisting opponents we can keep our skills grounded to the reality that opponents are unpredictable and don't always do what we intend.

4. MAKTAN

MAKTAN New Member

Jspeedy,

Thanks for sharing your perspective and I'm definitely in alignment.
    In addition, I've recognized an increase in Balintawak practitioners in Ohio utilize such competition venues as part of their training program in their personal progression. Such efforts will further increase the awareness of Balintawak Filipino Martial Arts.

www.maktan.com