Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panantukan

Thanks

Default Panantukan

Anyone want to talk about Panantukan? Its my favorite aspect of the FMA's. :-) I love the way that the FMA empty-hand methods are grafted so effectively onto a western boxing base.

Keith

Thanks

Some people will not agree with you,but I'm ,western boxing is one of my favourite for empty hand work in FMA.
    Last edited by p.v.; 11-22-2006 at 05:18 AM.
    Alea iacta est!

Thanks

Even in Modern Arnis, which has adopted so much of Shotokan Karate, boxing-style techniques are important in our empty-hands work.

Where I study JKD we frequently use Panantukan/Pananjakman drills with (kick)boxing-style techniques. I like them!

Thanks

Panantukan has some great stuff, especially from the Inosanto/Lacoste camp.

Has anyone been able to successfully use their destructions and gunting as entries in sparring/combat?
    It has worked when I have used it against sparring partners, but the 1 or 2 times I have tried it real life, my opponents were so high on adrenalin they didnt even feel it.

Anyone have any interesting entries from panantukan?
    Panantukan drills?
    How do you combine panantukan, sikaran, and dumog/buno when sparring?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I watched the Kali-Tudo dvds and they are awesome! It's basically empty-hand FMA and Maphilindo Silat training MMA style. If you wanna bring out the best in honing your panantukan skill specifically, don't be surprised to find yourself agreeing that this dvd set IS a worthy investment.

Daniel
    Daniel Arola
    DAMAG-INC

"Take the lickin' and keep on STICKin'!"
    Houston, Texas USA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DAMAG-INC View Post
    I watched the Kali-Tudo dvds and they are awesome! It's basically empty-hand FMA and Maphilindo Silat training MMA style. If you wanna bring out the best in honing your panantukan skill specifically, don't be surprised to find yourself agreeing that this dvd set IS a worthy investment.

Daniel
    I gotta agree with Daniel on this one! This DVD set from the Dog Brothers is excellent. They are coming out with another installment in the future that I expect to be very good as well. It is not really "classical" Panantukan that is on the first DVD set, but good stuff!

While we are on the topic of Panantukan videos, let me mention the ones that I have seen and what I thought.

1. I recently purchased the 2 DVD set from Rick Faye. These are very good as well. They are about 90 minutes apiece and just full of info. I also highly recommend Guro Faye's book on the subject. It is the only book I know of that covers Panantukan. It is put together as a training notebook and the DVDs follow along with it pretty well.

2. I have the video that Ted Lucaylucay did many years back for Unique Publications. It is a good overview of basic western boxing, but that's about it. It doesn't really go into the things that are unique to Panantukan. I was a bit disappointed with it.

3. I have the first video that Guro Lucaylucay's student Mark Stewart made. It is pretty decent, but not as good as Faye's IMHO. I believe he may have done some others after that first one. Anyone seen them?

4. I have Steve Grody's series "The Flow of Kali Empty Hands" that he did for Unique several years ago. Even though the word is not in the title, these are straight up Panantukan videos that emphasizes the FMA element more than the boxing element. These are also excellent. He really breaks things down and goes over them slowly so that you can get them down. The one complaint I had with Rick Faye's vids was that sometimes he goes so quickly that you have to keep rewinding over and over to figure out what he is doing.

5. I have the Panatukan DVD and the Dumog DVD on order from Guro Inosanto's most recent series of DVDs. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

6. I've seen the promotional shots for Ernie Lake's Panantukan videos and they look pretty good. I will likely get them eventually as well. From the promo shots, my impression is that Guro Lake is focusing on knife application from the Panantukan, but I could be wrong. Has anyone seen these. Guro Lake...are you reading? :-)

7. I note recently that Harley Elmore has some Panantukan DVDs as well. Anyone seen them?

Anyone else have any good videos to recommend?

Keith

Thanks

Default Origins

I received Guro Inosanto's Panantukan DVD in the mail yesterday and have had a chance to watch it. In the DVD Guro Inosanto pretty clearly indicates that his Panantukan comes primarily from John Lacoste and Lucky Lucaylucay. The impression I have formed...and this is just my impression...is that what Lucaylucay taught had an emphasis on punching (western boxing), while what Lacoste taught had more of an emphasis on the elements more distinct to Panantukan...like the limb destructions, foot trapping, takedowns, etc. Now this is not to say that these elements didn't exist in the other's art....just talking here about "emphasis."

Keith
    Last edited by Doc; 11-24-2006 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks

Default Kicking

I thought I would throw another idea out for discussion to see if anyone had some input. :-) Clearly, even though Panantukan is referred to as "filipino boxing", there is kicking involved. I've seen this typically referred to as "Pananjakman." But there is also the art of "Sikaran", which is "filipino kicking methods." My impression is that there is a difference between Pananjakman and Sikaran. Pananjakman is essentially a subset of Panantukan. It is the kicking method that supports the hands and that works naturally from the same base biomechanic. So you have a "foot" version of the punching. In contrast, Sikaran is more developed in order to function as an entire art in its own right...much like Tae Kwon Do. Both of these have hand techniques as well, but the focus is on using the legs.

I look at it this way....when we say "filipino boxing" we are using "boxing" to mean empty-hand fighting in general. Much like in western boxing's early history when there were fewer rules. Back then throws and limited grappling was allowed even though it was referred to as "boxing." So we could even say that to some extent Dumog is also a subset Panantukan. Now even though we are referring to empty-hand fighting in general, since we are using the western term "boxing", we are implying that the empty-hand fighting being spoken of comes from the base of a western boxing biomechanic. So in my mind, when we use the term "Panantukan", we are referring to working from a basic western boxing base or biomechanic to bring in all of the other FMA empty-hand fighting tactics that flow well from that base. At least that's how I see it. :-)

Keith

Thanks

I agree with Doc on this point.
    I think most people/groups who train "Panantukan" come from the the Inosanto/Lacoste line.
    IMHO, he has really developed and emphasized this part of FMA training in the USA.
    Inosanto groups train usually in Thai Boxing, Western Boxing, Maphilido Silat, as well as various FMA's, so I see alot of bleeding over into their Panantukan.

Most of the FMA groups I have come across in the Philippines do have an empty hands curriculum, but they do not train it as often.
    I would say they focus 80-90% of their time on weapons (stick, blade, sword, etc. depending on the system).
    And many times there is alot of influence from other arts such as Aikido, Jujitsu, Karate, Kung Fu, and Silat.
    Simply a different emphasis in training.

And yes, Sikaran in the Philippines is indeed very much like TKD.
    Many children play this in the pronvince much like hackey sack in the USA.
    I have to say, however, I have seen many fierce Sikaran fighters.
    They can be extremely effective kickers, especially at their range, considering they started since a young age.

Thanks

Default Panantukan

I think that Rick Faye's videos are some of the best! Does anyone have the book that Rick Faye made and is it worth buying? Also, has anyone purchased or seen Harley Elmore's videos on Panantukan? Are they worth purchasing? They seem a bit expensive...

thanks

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information